walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scarba adventure

Scarba adventure

Postby pllewellyn » Thu May 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach Scarba (Scarba)

Date walked: 13/08/2013

Time taken: 24 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 449m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My parents in-law live on the Isle of Luing, and Scarba with its rugged and often cloud covered top dominates the view from their house. It sits enticingly across the Sound of Luing, so close and yet inaccessible without your own boat. I've always wanted to climb it. Last summer I finally made it across with my 5 year old son.

DSC_2682.jpg
Scarba seen from the Isle of Luing

Alasdair MacLachlan took us across on his boat. Alasdair and his wife run boat trips around Luing and dropped us off on Scraba for a small fee. They're a lovely couple and have a website (I can't post the URL here, so look up "Luing boat trips" on Google).

I decided to make a little adventure of it and camp for the night on the island. We would have to take it pretty easy anyway. Getting my 5 year old son to walk all the way to the top was going to be a challenge in itself. He made it though!

R0000134.jpg
Milo on the boat with Scraba looming in the background

The boat dropped us off at about 3pm and after waving goodbye we headed off onto the island to find somewhere to camp for the night. We'd agreed with Alasdair that he'd come and pick us up at the same time tomorrow.

R0000141.jpg
Alasdair's boat

R0000143.jpg
The boat heading off

With the exception of Kilmory Lodge, which is occasionally occupied by the owners of the island, this secluded piece of paradise is un-inhabited. We would be the only people on the island for the next 24 hours.

R0000147.jpg
Milo pointing back towards Luing

I'd decided to camp by the wee loch on the east side of the island and after about an hours' walk along the eastern shore, with great views back towards the mainland, we reached the loch and set up camp for the night.

R0000154.jpg
Setting up camp

R0000157.jpg
Base camp for our mini adventure

After a short while we realised our plan had a flaw, the place was infested with midges! Next time, stay away from the loch I guess...

R0000166.jpg
These midges are driving me crazy dad!

We quickly retreated into the safety of our wee tent and proceeded to have a rather uncomfortable night lying in between the huge grassy tussocks that we had unwisely pitched the tent on top of.

R0000171.jpg
View across to Jura with the cairn marking the westward turn of the path

Next morning the weather was glorious and after a quick breakfast we set off again. We left the tent and most of the gear behind to collect on the way back. Just beyond the loch the path turns west and follows the southern edge of the island. The views across to Jura and the Corryvrechan are breathtaking.

Once we'd reached a point on the path roughly due south of the peak, we left the path and headed up a relatively gentle grassy slope towards the top. About 1h30 after leaving the loch, and without too much encouragement, Milo finally made it to the top.

R0000175.jpg
Looking south on the way up, you can just about make out Colonsay on the horizon

R0000179.jpg
The top (ish)

Although we didn't actually climb the final few meters to the trig point marking the top, Milo's wee legs had had enough by then and we needed to get back to the boat, the views from the small plateau at the summit were fantastic.

R0000186.jpg
selfie at the top

I would have happily spent the afternoon wandering around the top but we had to get back, so down we went, packed up the tent and three hours later we were back at the jetty.

R0000198.jpg
striking camp

R0000200.jpg
are we nearly there?

Great fun, highly recommended.
Peter
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by pllewellyn on Fri May 23, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
pllewellyn
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Scraba adventure

Postby dooterbang » Thu May 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Great mini adventure indeed :)

That last photo of Milo is priceless, a job well done.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Scraba adventure

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu May 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Agree with Dooterbang - that is one great photo. What an adventure for a wee guy - he'll probably remember it for the rest of his life - and you will too!!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland