walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Chuinneag

Carn Chuinneag

Postby canisp » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:01 pm

Route description: Càrn Chuinneag, Strath Carron, Ardgay

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Chuinneag

Date walked: 04/11/2008

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn Chuinneag, Corbett, 838 metres
OS Map 20, Grid Ref 483833
Start Grid Ref 463891
Distance walked 16 km’s
Height Gain 800 metres
1 November 2008

Bridge to Glencalvie Lodge

Tree house

Tree house

I parked the car at Grid Ref 463891 near the turnoff to Glencalvie lodge, then followed the road down and over the bridge, past the tree house, through the gates, between the dwellings, then round to the right to continue up Glen Calvie. In 1 hour i reached the stalkers path at GR 473850, height was soon gained and the views opened out a bit.

Looking north to Cnoc na Tuirbhe with Glen Calvie to the left

Right of centre is the Graham Carn a’ Choin Deirg, Cul Beag and Cul Mor are the two dark looking peaks on the horizon in the centre

Similar shot to last from a bit higher up

From 477836 looking in the direction of the summit

I left the path at Grid Ref 477836 and headed in the direction of the summit, the cloud coming in and out and visibility varying from good to poor. Soon after i sensed i was being followed or shadowed :o , i could see something out of the corner of my left eye but when i turned to look there was nothing to be seen :shock: . This was very spooky and happened three or four times before i saw the white arc in the photo below. The sun was to my right and must have caused this effect, something i'd never seen before.

White arc

Nearing the summit of Carn Chuinneag

I think the hills on the horizon just left of centre are the Strathfarrar Munro’s

Looking west from Carn Chuinneag to it’s lower summit

Looking northeast to the Graham Carn Salachaidh

Brocken spectre

Trig Point on Carn Chuinneag’s summit

I sat on the summit for over 1 hour watching the ever changing views as the cloud blew in and out, and tried to name the hills, some were obvious like Cul Mor, Cul Beag, Suilven, and Canisp, but many others were guesses and probably wrong ones.

Heading west up Carn Chuinneag’s lower summit

Weather closing in, with Carn a’ Choin Deirg in the centre

Carn Chuinneag from around 476835

Weather clearing. Carn a’ Choin Deirg just right of centre

Carn Chuinneag from around 476836

Looking down Glen Calvie from around 472844

Once down to the landrover track at 473850 a 1 hour stroll put me back at the car, and then the task of a 390 mile drive home :shock:
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Carn Chuinneag

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Enjoyed your report and pics - isn't it great to get some decent weather at last? Especially loved the tree-house - must have cost thousands!

What you can see in your fourth pic is called a 'white rainbow' or 'fogbow' and is apparently caused by extremely small water droplets (less than 0.05mm according to Wikipedia) that don't diffract the light and hence what would otherwise be a rainbow appears white. They are quite rare. I saw one on Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan.

You got a brocken spectre as well- I've never managed to get one to show as brightly in a photo as you've managed :)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Carn Chuinneag

Postby wandererjon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:02 pm

Fantastic photos, the colours are amazing!! 8)
wandererjon

Munros:4   
Fionas:12   
Hewitts:15

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland