walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mayar and Driesh

Mayar and Driesh

Postby fingeez » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:10 am

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 04/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 835m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ahhhhh bzzz bzzz eh whats that, hmmm phone, ok whats the time 9am ............. oh turd one hour late meeting my sister!!!

Ok so up and awake and quickly grabbed everything i need, and off to meet my sister at my mums house, there at 9:25 not too bad in the end haha

Hour drive up to Glen Cova and into the busy car park with people every where then on with the boots and gaitors and we were off at about 11:15, pretty sure we passed Monty as we were leaving the car park, who had already done both Munro's :shock: ok then we started late hahaha

Headed along the forest track towards Carrie Fee taking it easy and warming the legs up.

100_0183.jpg
Stream running through forest

100_0184.jpg
Craig Mellon looming to the north

Headed on up the path which was getting thicker and a little slippy at times with snow and ice, eventually coming to the deer fence at the start of Corrie Fee. The deer fence had a gate and steps over it, I decided i was here to climb so over i went :)

Ross at Deer Fence.JPG
I was here to climb not use gates haha

100_0187.jpg
Corrie Fee

Corrie Fee is one amazing place, absolutely stunning and with the little bit of snow around looked gorgeous. We carried along the small path up and down the small hills, where i nearly trod on a little frog, eventually coming to the start of the steps up towards the waterfall not in any rush at all, just enjoying the sights along the way. Had a small water stop half way up and stopped for a couple of pics near the waterfall.

100_0190.jpg
Little frog

100_0192.jpg
View back down

100_0197.jpg
Waterfall

100_0199.jpg
Snow shelf

It's a long way down.JPG
Me on the snow shelf

Carried on up the long snowy slope stright towards the summit of Mayar meeting a few people on the way, including two people running down and a family with three kids who were sliding down the snow slopes on there backs :shock: which i decided considering the drop at the end of the slope was dangerous and frankly downright stupid! Anyway on we plodded with my sister now really feeling the burn and making herself do at least 20 steps without a pause :)
reached the summit with lovely sunshine (which seemed to have gotten me a tad sunburnt i realised later) and stopped for a quick bite and some pics.

100_0203.jpg
Views to the north from summit

Ross at Summit - Mayar.JPG
Me at Mayar summit

Met a nice chap at the summit and he commented that theres something about a nice cup of tea once you get to the top. Couldn't agree more although i was going all posh and had Mochacinno with me :) There were also 2 girls there chatting loudly and once they had moved on he commented that theres a great sense of tranquility at the top when its quiet and how he went up a munro the year before and met about 60 people at the top having a party as it was the final summit for someone there, and he was offered a bite to eat and nip of whiskey :)

Anyway we decended down to the bealach between Mayar and Driesh and quickly made it across and headed up the slope towards Driesh trudging through the odd snow patch and reached the summit, which is fairly wide which obscures the views abit. time for a quick water stop and photo.

Ross at Summit - Dreish.JPG
Me at summit of Driesh

Then turned ourselves around and headed back towards the bealach and the path down the Shank of Drumfollow.

100_0212.jpg
Path back down clearly visible

As we started back down it was time for waterproof jackets on as the weather decided to drop some hailstones on us.

100_0221.jpg
On the path towards Glendoll Forest

This was a fairly long feeling path by now and we were rather glad when we got to the bottom of it and continued on towards the forest making decent time (for us haha). Started raining about now aswell which i was less than impressed with after the sun earlier, but hey thats what goes down lol. Anyway made it past the cleared forest area then through the forest itself and back on the track towards the car park, which had about 2 cars left in it, getting there about 7 and a half hours after we started.

Good day was had all round, although my sisters legs sufered abit that night and next day :)
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Re: Mayar and Driesh

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:18 am

I would have said those kids (or rather their parents) were definitely stupid skating down that slope into Corrie Fee on their backs! I remember how steep it is and it certainly looks it around the area of your snow shelf! Good report and photies!
mountain coward

Postby kerrera » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:28 am

Well I can rest safe and feel assured that I'll never bump into you two. :)
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby fingeez » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 am

Hey MC

yup it def was steep lol. Cheers :)

haha Kerrera that was just a blip, i'll be out and about early for the most :)
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:01 am

Hi Fingeez,
Great first report. You took some lovely pictures on route. :D I have to admit I was "done" with climbing on the way back and went through the gate not over the style :lol: :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby fingeez » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:12 am

Hey Monty

Thanks for the comment, some of the pics my sister took (well the ones that have me in them haha). I dont blame you for using the gate after climbing the Scorrie :shock:

Seconed report though :) Ben Chonzie was my first lol

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland