walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Wisp & Tarmangie Hill

White Wisp & Tarmangie Hill

Postby CrampyChris » Sun May 25, 2014 11:01 am

Date walked: 25/05/2014

Time taken: 3.32 hours

Distance: 8.62 km

Ascent: 528m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20140525.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I tackled this from the car park in Dollar Glen. I decided to tackle Saddle Hill Head on but started to follow the contours half way up as it is very steep. Walking the along the contours I thought of the myth of the Haggis, having one leg shorter than the other - that is what I needed on a slope like that! I also had my dog with me on a lead because of the lambs, which was an added complication and In the end I went on all fours for a few meters due to the steepness and walked like a spider! this got me over the the worst of the steep bit. I then tackled Whitewisp and Tarmangie, which was fairly uneventful before returning and trying to tackle the steep descent from Saddle Hill. I contoured much more on the way down, only having one really steep bit to contend with before was able to follow a small stream down, which made for some convenient steps.

I have fond that the best route up or down Saddle Hill is following the gully at a diagonal - it is best approached from the sheep pen to the south of the hill, a path is quite obvious when the bracken is low from the pen to the gulley.
CrampyChris

Munros:34   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland