walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Day out with my wee boy (Nevis Trip)

Great Day out with my wee boy (Nevis Trip)

Postby flipside » Sun May 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 24/05/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1343m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cracking sunny day for the attempt on the Ben, left home at 02:30 hrs in the morning for the drive up to Fort Bill. The track was well managed and straight forward to climb, Rannoch and i made good progress up the track to the half way lochan. Only downside was the amount of people on the route it was so busy and full of people with no hill etiquette, walking in large groups blocking ascent or descent. I picked up loads of rubbish on this day i found it sad and annoying that people would treat a mountain in such a fashion. The zig zags were absolute torture with rapid height gained onto the summit plateau, took a breather after the zigs before the attempt on the summit. There was loads of snow and and the visibility dropped took a bearing and confirmed location and the direction of travel before moving off. There was a large group who seemed to be unsure of were to go and used Rannoch and I as a guide to the summit :shock:. It seemed there was quite a few groups and couples unsure of how to get up or down from the summit plateau i can see why there is so many accidents in the various danger areas of the Ben. Good cairns to navigate to on the summit and were a perfect handrail avoiding Gardyloo Gully. Fish and chip also Haggis and chips from the pier head cafe was the best that Rannoch's every tasted lol :D . Listened to Johnny Cash all the way home with a happy but very tired wee boy who was more than keen to get back up a mountain.
flipside
Wanderer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:18   Islands:23

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland