walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Na Fearna, Stuc a Chroin and Ben Each

Meall Na Fearna, Stuc a Chroin and Ben Each

Postby davetherave » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stùc a' Chròin

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each, Meall na Fearna

Date walked: 10/04/2010

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1850m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 10TH April 2010
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Clear, blue skies.
Time. 11.5 hrs
Distance. 31.5km
Ascent. 1860 m
Hills. Munro’s x 1
Corbetts’s x 2

Stuc A Chroin

Meall Na Fearna and Ben Each

Start from……….. car park up Glenartney

1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Decided on this route as I knew we would catch the last of the snow heading up An Stuc before it finally disappeared for the year, and because the last time we tried
Stuc a Chroin we were beaten back about 30m before emerging from the steep climb, due to the top being corniced over.

Arrived at Glenarty on Friday evening at 7pm ish, and set up camp in a field about 400m East of the car park down near the river. Cooked our self a nice supper followed by a couple glasses of wine before retiring just before 9pm.

We new this was going to be a long day, I estimated about 12 hrs. We headed up Glenarty for about 2km then turned north up Srath a Ghlinne for about 4km before starting to climb up to the North end ridge of Carn Labhruinn. From here we got our first view of Meall Na Fearna, we carried on round the head of the coire and started the final climb to the summit.

Srath a  Ghlinne (1).JPG

Srath a  Ghlinne (3).JPG

Srath a  Ghlinne.JPG

Ben Lawers range.JPG

Meall Na Fearna.JPG
Meall Na fearna summit, with Ben vorlich and Stuc a Chroin behind

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin.JPG

We now headed south, down and along the ridge, before entering Gleannan Dubh Choiren and making our way up the Coire onto the Bealach at the foot of Stuc a Chroin

before the bealach.JPG

Thr Stuc (1).JPG

Stuc A Chroin (4).JPG

Stuc A Chroin (5).JPG

I must admit I got my first taste of vertigo April 09 when we tried this steep climb, but thankfully this time I had no such problems. Luckly we had packed the ice axes they were needed on several parts of the steep ascent. From here the worst was over and soon we summated Stuc A Chroin..

Climbing Stuc a Chroin (1).JPG
views to Ben Vorlich

Finally, completing An Stuc.JPG
Finally completing Stuc a Chroin

We headed SW off the top and got our first look at Ben Each and its splendid looking North ridge ( our next objective ) Care was needed here as there was some serious crags and out crops to manoeuvre down near the bottom of Stuc A Chroin.

Soon enough we had made the easy scramble on to Ben Each’s ridge and followed it’s meandering path to the summit. The views were amazing, weather was as predicted ………..…super…

Ben Each ridge.JPG

summit of Ben Each.JPG

From here we still had about 13km to reach the car. What a thought ! We headed off Ben Each’s SE ridge making for a steep descent down towards the reservoir near Arivurichadich and reach the track that splits the 2 bothy’s.

Arivurichardich Loch (1).JPG

Arivurichardich bothy's.JPG

Arivurichardich bothy's (1).JPG

Was bliss to reach the track but the thought of the final 9km sent shivers through me. We reached the car at 7.30pm 11.5 hrs after setting off.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Meall Na Fearna, Stuc a Chroin and Ben Each

Postby Graeme D » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:49 pm

An epic undertaking Dave. I bet Wilson slept well after that! :lol: 11.5 hours starting and ending in daylight - must be summer after all! :D I've had my eye on Meall na Fearna for a while, having done all the others round there, but wasn't sure about the way up from St Fillans, so I might investigate your route as a possible option. Cheers!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby davetherave » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:I've had my eye on Meall na Fearna for a while, having done all the others round there, but wasn't sure about the way up from St Fillans, so I might investigate your route as a possible option. Cheers!

Meall na Fearna from Glenarty was an easy walk in until starting to climb upto Carn Labhruinn's ridge at the North end. From here, reaching the summit was much easier. :)
The highlight was finally mastering Stuc a Chroins Steep slope 8) and then on to Ben Each's ridge for the final walk to the corbetts summit.

Really was a great day with smashing weather. Be prepared for the long walk back to the car park if you do decide on doing a similar route. :(
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby doogz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Nice indeed!!

bet you were glad it was dry though ..with a few hours rain it would have been murder i guess..

cheers
doogz

Postby Alan S » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Another cracking report dave 8) where do you get your energy for all these big walks :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:20 am

What - no Ben Vorlich ;-) ? Seriously, much respect, that's a big one whatever way you look at it. The ascent and distance would put something like this right at the limit of my abilities and would certainly require a feet-up day afterwards :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby gaffr » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 pm

I think I said before, somewhere on WH, that reading about folks journeys in the hills has me running around looking for my diaries. Another thought, after reading your account, is that the starting points for 'ventures' is perhaps determined by where we live...well maybe those of us living in Alba. When I first went to this area of hills the starting point was where the bus service could get us nearest to...in this case Callander for the two Munros. I've never been in Glen Artney but maybe a logical start for someone coming from the east of Scotland. Since I moved to the Highlands it was easier for me to reach the Corbetts from the North side.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby malky_c » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Mind reader - I've been meaning to do this route for about 6 months now (with Vorlich as well, as it seems a natural line). Will definitely read this again as it might finally make me do it next time I am in Dundee for a weekend. Cheers!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland