walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Surviving four seasons on Aonach Eagach

Surviving four seasons on Aonach Eagach

Postby GueVargas » Mon May 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Date walked: 15/05/2014

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hey everybody! Hope this post finds everyone well. A buddy and I decided to tackle the Aonach Eagach ridge in Glencoe. The walk was fantastic but even more so is how amazing Scotland's weather is. I think she was showing off because she treated us to all four seasons in the span of 8 hours while on the ridge. She was very kind to us in the end by releasing us from her cold, icy grip, and letting us safely descend to the Clachaig Inn for a delicious pint, warm food, and some unforgettable memories. Here are a couple of pics of our excursion. I had to put away my camera because the clag was so heavy I had to concentrate on where my next step was going to be. It's an amazing traverse, but I think I would have enjoyed it more under sunny skies...

Ascent to Am Bodach

Looking out to the ridge from Am Bodach

The Chancellor looking quite photogenic

Another shot of the ridge

The decent from Am Bodach was a bit dodgy, but plenty of solid holds throughout

Once Aonach knew she had us in her grasp she rolled the clag in...gotcha!

The clag lifted for a brief second to show me this...

Best pub in Scotland!
GueVargas
Munro compleatist

Re: Surviving four seasons on Aonach Eagach

Postby BigT » Mon May 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Come on now, give us a proper step by step analysis of your route, the pictures are just a tease!
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon May 26, 2014 8:08 pm

Some great photo's, weather seems to be exactly the same as when we did it last year :(

The drop from An Bodach is etched on my memory, talk about throwing you in at the deep end :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby GueVargas » Mon May 26, 2014 8:38 pm

Hey Fife. I agree with your comment. When I snapped that pic of the descent from Am Bodach my a@$ puckered a bit...I think the clag made it worst because we couldn't pick out a path till we were right up against the rock. It was still an amazing ridge walk.
GueVargas
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland