walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bank Holiday Bleaklow

Bank Holiday Bleaklow

Postby Broggy1 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Bleaklow Head

Date walked: 26/05/2014

Time taken: 2.3

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 707m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had become a source of embarrassment to me that despite being within 60miles of where I live in Preston I had never actually visited the Peak District.

I was determined to change this and looked at the two principal summits of the area - Bleaklow Head and Kinder Scout - and ways of which I could climb them in one day. However, Kinder Scout looked far too interesting for that and I felt it deserved a more detailed walk at some point meaning that Bleaklow was to be left on it's own for a half day walk at some time.

Bank Holiday Monday proved to be that time with a free morning giving me time to do the walk as an out and back along the Pennine Way from Torside.

I started off at the busy car park besides the Reservoir and followed a path round to join the busy (walkers, dogs, cyclists, runners) Trans Pennine Trail. I soon came to a turn off for the much quieter Pennine Way and made my way initially quite steeply up towards the hill above.

Most the hard work is over very early on and soon enough I was on the pleasant track along the edge of Torside Clough. As this gets higher you meet the familiar Pennine Way Slabs and you lose a little bit of height as you cross the stream itself.

Trans-Pennine.JPG
Trans Pennine Way

On to Pennine way.JPG
Turn left on to the Pennine Way

Uphill.JPG
Height is gained quite quickly

Follow sign.JPG
It's hard to go wrong if you stick to the path!

Edge path.JPG
Path along the edge of the Clough

Crossing stream.JPG
Looking back at the stream crossing

You are thankful for the good path the Pennine Way provides as you hit the wild moor top as there are a serious lack of landmarks until you hit the main summit cairn and it's pole.

There is some doubt as to what the exact highest point is with a nearby peat growth sporting a tiny cairn and appearing to over top the main cairn (although I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't even care!).

I then wandered over towards the kissing Wainstones (with yet another cairn) and the views out towards Greater Manchester are very good from here although nearby Kinder Scout appears too bulky to appreciate properly from this distance.

Not a place for off path.JPG
On the open moor - not a place to leave the path!

Summit Cairn.JPG
Summit Cairn

or is it.JPG
Although this small cairn on a nearby growth is obviously slightly higher

cairn near Wainstones.JPG
Yet another cairn near the Wainstones

Wainstones and Greater Manchester.JPG
Wainstones with Greater Manchester in the distance

Kinder Scout.JPG
Kinder Scout

There seemed to be very little reason to return by any route other than the clear path so I decided to follow that route quickly and easily back to the car with superb and pleasing views in front of me all the way down.

View from edge.JPG
View from the edge

Torside Reservoir.JPG
Torside Reservoir

An interesting first visit to the area for me, far better than I expected, and leaving me quite looking forward to a future visit to Kinder Scout.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:85   Corbetts:15
Grahams:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:272
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Bank Holiday Bleaklow

Postby Liebestoter » Sat May 31, 2014 10:33 pm

It's a good job you went to that small cairn because that is the true summit cairn, I missed it first time I went up.
Liebestoter
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:19
Grahams:10   Donalds:1
Hewitts:148
Wainwrights:150   

Re: Bank Holiday Bleaklow

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:17 am

Haha - yeah obviously glad I did but would have to say that I wouldn't be losing any sleep about it if I hadn't!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:85   Corbetts:15
Grahams:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:272
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland