walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Four Summits of Ben Shieldaig x 2

Four Summits of Ben Shieldaig x 2

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri May 30, 2014 12:16 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Shieldaig

Date walked: 26/05/2014

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 14.8 km

Ascent: 796m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2014-05-26 Ben Shieldaig.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

No photos I'm afraid - see below!

Sgurr on this site had said she had gone up Ben Shieldaig recently from the Balgy side and suggested I do the 4-tops route and write it up as there are no walk reports for this hill. Well, the forecast wasn't great but decided in the afternoon that the day was clearing up (it wasn't) and off I went. I started off at 16:20 and knew I had plenty daylight left to get back down to the road before the light faded.

Parked in Glen Shieldaig in a parking area consisting of a small section of the old road and got togged up in the rain. As my main camera had an accident on Belig on Saturday, I was using a different camera and when I tried to take a photo nothing happened. No battery - I had left it on the kitchen table charging :( So no photos I'm afraid. However, I must say it was quite freeing not to be constantly stopping and less to carry. The GPS says I walked for 5 hours 15 mins and stopped for 33 minutes. My normal stopping is about a third of my walking time!

I went up by the waterfalls and then took a bearing for the first summit. I could only see a few metres in front of me and the rain was pouring down. By the time I got to the second summit, the rain had stopped and I could see the surrounding hills in a hazy kind of way but I could tell the views were astounding. The whole length of Beinn Damh was on my right and the corries of Beinn Bhan on my left - everything was blue, hazy and spooky as it was so dark due to the low cloud. There is a bit of a drop after the second top and a deer fence is crossed over a stile. It was raining again but amazingly the visibility was improving. From the third top you can see the fourth and highest top. It has a beautiful lochan beside it - there wasn't a breath of wind and the water was like glass. At this point the rain stopped and the cloud slowly lifted. The whole span of Beinn Alligin, Liathach and Beinn Damh appeared and Loch Damh and Loch Torridon seemed to be just a stone's throw away. (It hurts that I didn't have a camera!)

There is a stone shelter built down from the main cairn and from here you can look down right on top of Shieldaig village. I took a wee wander around but had a long way to go back so didn't hang about. The views had really opened up now and I could see the mountains of Harris changing colour as the sun dropped in the sky. Of course they were behind me but I kept looking back at all the action in the sky!

For some masochistic reason I revisited three of the four tops on the way back! Just made it to the car as the sun was setting enjoying a beautiful pink sky as I descended by the waterfalls.

This is a great walk and I'll definitely do it again on a good day. Be warned that much of it is quite boggy underfoot (but then with all the rain that my not be a fair judgement). There are also some great sandstone slabs that you can really zip over as they are pretty grippy.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Four Summits of Ben Shieldaig x 2

Postby scottishkennyg » Fri May 30, 2014 9:35 am

Nice walk Annie, Hope you get your camera status sorted..missed your usual high quality images..
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Sgurr » Sat May 31, 2014 5:49 pm

Glad you made it, but shame about the pics. I'll try to remember to post some to go with it when I get home( currently on phone, waiting in a b & b for ripped car Tyre to be mended...it went on the approach road to the Cape Wrath ferry, so bang goes my hope of getting one of the hills for the time being. )
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat May 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Good one Annie :clap: Very brave to set out after 4pm, especially in inclement weather :lol:

Hope you get the camera fixed, that is an essential piece of kit :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Ah such a pity about the camera. At least you've still got the visual memories, we'll just use our imaginations :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:06 am

I hope your camera can be revived...
I must admit I never paid any attention to this hill, looks like a good one for a shorter day.

On the subject of time: I could never understand folks charging uphill like crazy, running up & down the mountain in a couple of hours. Maybe if weather is dull and the hill is boring, it makes sense, but on a good day with great views, I'll always make a lot of stops not just to take photos, but to enjoy the moment :D
We climbed Buidhe Bheinn on Saturday, we took almost 9 hours to traverse the ridge and didn't care about time at all. As long as we had enough of it to return to the car before sunset :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:40 am

Ach an ath turas .... pictures next time :D ...... done that my self it is infuriating :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi. Now back home, so here are a few views from Beinn Shieldaig

Interesting stone on the ascent

Oh no! not another summit

Torridon (just) from the summit

Beinn Damh from the summit

Walking back down
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Great! Thanks so much for posting the photos - I didn't see all of it but definitely amazing views. :clap:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland