walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach Clach a' Bhlair & Sgor Gaoith

Mullach Clach a' Bhlair & Sgor Gaoith

Postby Gordie12 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 31/05/2014

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 30.8 km

Ascent: 1270m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast for today was just about as good as it gets and the only question really was where to go. My initial plan was to do 7 Donalds at Daer Reservoir but the thought of a slow return between Dunblane and Perth due to the roadworks put me off so I chose to do two Munros I'd been looking to do for a while now.

An early start meant I was parked up at the large car park just before Achlean and walking by 7.15am. A mountain biker was heading off at the same time as me and another car arrived before I left the car park so a few people looking to take advantage of the fantastic start to the day.

I decided to follow the WH route to Mullach Clach a Bhlair first and then head north along the plateau to take in Sgor Gaoith on the way back.

1.jpg
Hardly a cloud in the sky

The walk along Glen Feshie following the river was easy going with brilliant scenery.

2.jpg

3.jpg
A log and stepping stones help to keep the feet dry

4.jpg

5.jpg
Bridge over Allt Garbhlach

6.jpg
River Feshie

Followed the river until I was opposite Carnachuin at which point I turned left at a crossroads of tracks. The easy going undulating tracks are over, time now for the hard work to start and the initial climb up the bulldozed track is steep but eases after a few hundred yards.

7.jpg
Looking back down to Glen Feshie

As the track eases in gradient and I can lift my head and start to look around I can see that it heads in a straight line parallel with the Allt Coire Chaoil before arcing round to the right before reaching the plateau. The view down into Coire Garbhlach makes the effort worthwhile.

8.jpg

9.jpg
Looking back down the track

Once on to the plateau it's a straight forward walk over to the summit of Mullach Clach a Bhlair which after the walk in is a bit of a disappointment. The plateau is wide and so the views from the summit are limited but there are great views over to Braeriach and pals.

10.jpg
Sgor Gaoith in view

11.jpg
Munros to the east

Retracing my steps back to the junction of tracks half a mile north of my 1st hill I took the track to the right which would take me over the plateau towards Sgor Gaoith. At this point I can see the summit of Sgor Goaith but the best views are over towards Braeriach.

12.jpg
Time to leave the main track and head for Carn Ban Mor

Followed the track to Carn Ban Mor until I reached a cairn with a track heading off to the right towards Sgor Gaoith. At this point I met a guy from Stirling who was doing the same two Munros but clockwise as oppesed to my anti clockwise route. He was camping a couple of nights at a nearby bothy so he had a great couple of days for it. Still a fair distance over to Sgor Goaith but very easy walking and once at the summit the views were fabulous. Have to be honest, I don't normally hang around long on summits but on a day like this this just seemed to be a special place worth spending some time at.

13.jpg
First view of Loch Eanaich

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

The day was warm with little breeze, the views were great with fantastic visibility and little in the way of haze, I didn't want to head back to the car so chose to carry on to Sgoran Dubh Mor.

19.jpg
Sgoran Dubh Mor

20.jpg

21.jpg

It only took 15 mins to get over to Sgoran Dubh Mor and then another 20 mins to get back to Sgor Goaith.

22.jpg

Spent another 10 minutes at the summit before heading back to Carn Ban Mor and picking up the hunter's path that would take me back down to Auchlean.

23.jpg

24.jpg
Looking back

25.jpg

What can I say, brilliant day, brilliant weather, loved it.
Last edited by Gordie12 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Mullach Clach a' Bhlair & Sgor Gaoith

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Looks like a cracking day Gordie. Those roadworks down the A9 are causing me a fair bit of grief these days so a good move to avoid them if you can! I'm hoping to get Mullach done while on a Gold D of E trip at the end of this month so I'll be hoping for some of the same as you got! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Yesterday was definitely a great day to be out and I fancy doing these two soon. I got stuck in those roadworks and between the "cut in at the cones brigade" and the heat they weren't much fun.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:53 am

A good pair of mountains, though I always wondered why MCB is a Munro, doesn't really look significant :lol:
We did them in opposite direction to you, up SG first, views down to the loch are superb.

It was a lovely Saturday, what a difference to the previous weekend, when we got soaked on Glas Tulaichean...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Graeme D wrote:Looks like a cracking day Gordie. Those roadworks down the A9 are causing me a fair bit of grief these days so a good move to avoid them if you can! I'm hoping to get Mullach done while on a Gold D of E trip at the end of this month so I'll be hoping for some of the same as you got! :D

If you get the same weather you should love it.

Was up at Loch Ordie on Saturday, DofE as far as the eye could see!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Fudgie wrote:Yesterday was definitely a great day to be out and I fancy doing these two soon. I got stuck in those roadworks and between the "cut in at the cones brigade" and the heat they weren't much fun.

Hi Fudgie

For once, a good decision on the roads front!

Hope you enjoy these two when your time comes, only a few miles apart but completely different hills with Sgor Gaoith having stunning views and steep cliffs while MCaB feels more like a little bump on the wide plateau.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:05 pm

BlackPanther wrote:A good pair of mountains, though I always wondered why MCB is a Munro, doesn't really look significant :lol:
We did them in opposite direction to you, up SG first, views down to the loch are superb.

It was a lovely Saturday, what a difference to the previous weekend, when we got soaked on Glas Tulaichean...

I know what you mean. Doing them anti clockwise meant that the big climb was up MCaB so it felt quite high and worthy of Munro status but once on the plateau the last part was a bit of a let down. At least I kept the best for last, loved Sgor Gaoith.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Good plan to do these two together and get the contrast. Think the Glen Feshie approach to MCB goes some way to making up for the unspectacular summit. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 pm

dogplodder wrote:Good plan to do these two together and get the contrast. Think the Glen Feshie approach to MCB goes some way to making up for the unspectacular summit. :wink:

hi dogplodder

Got to agree, the walk along Glen Feshie by the river was brilliant and more than made up for any minor disappointment with the summit of MCB - not every top can be spectacular and it's just nice to be out in the hills on a good day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland