walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Beag

Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 11/04/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 840m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Like most of you we had our eye on the forecast all week hoping for the weather forecast to be right,next decision where do we go,all week looked like Dreish and Mayer,then late Saturday when we look at weather report change our mind"s and head for Glencoe,(gammy leg walker shout I may add) :).Left house at 6,45 and by 8.45 in the car park with gear and suntan lotion on 8) Brilliant path now all the way up to the bealeach between Stob Dubh and Stob Coire Raineach,half way up the path remember I want to post a report with pics,so 1st pic of the day
mixed 093.jpg
view over to Aonach Eagach Ridge :D Soon at the bealeach,where we stop for 15/20 min to take in the amazing views
mixed 094.jpg
looking over to the Ben and CMD :)
mixed 095.jpg
James and Alan looking puzzled,is that Schiehallion (only kidding boy"s :lol: )looking at Buachaille Etive Mor,decide to tackle Stob Coire Raineach 1st and after a wee bit of puffing and panting soon at the summit
mixed 098.jpg
(nae army of poles milesy :lol: ) sit down and have our sandwiches,and hve a 25 mim break fair chuffed with our mornings work,and take in the brill views
Bags back on and back down to the bealeach,camera back out and take pic looking back to where we came from
mixed 099.jpg
don"t hang around when we come down and start to head over to the next summit
mixed 100.jpg
looking along ridge to Stob Dubh This time before we make the climb up we dump our bags and head on up to the summit,this makes a big difference and in no time we are at the top
mixed 101.jpg
(being followed by the poles again milesy),take 15/20 min looking at the views,which are brill
mixed 103.jpg
Ben Starv and Loch Etive
mixed 102.jpg
Bidean nam Bian :D ,Only now do I find out I have only 1 pic left on my camera,so only take one more pic
mixed 104.jpg
Bidean nam Bian from The Clachaig :D :D what a brilliant day,will be hard pressed to get any better,makes all those day"s with no views all worth while :) :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Great report gammy. Nice to see it with a lot less snow now. I was gutted I couldn't get out that weekend.

Was up this hill 1 week before you, just Stob Coire Raineach- a pic from the summit:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Sparra Legs » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:21 pm

view over to Aonach Eagach Ridge :D

Looks like you had a great day gammy,
Is that you eyeing up the ridge then? zetec says your up for it,brill give us a shout.
Sparra Legs
Stravaiging

Munros:146   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Sparra Legs wrote:view over to Aonach Eagach Ridge :D

Looks like you had a great day gammy,
Is that you eyeing up the ridge then? zetec says your up for it,brill give us a shout.

Spoke to zetec last week,well up for the ridge,in 2/3 weeks time :sick: :sick: :sick: mind and bring a rope with you ,one with that can hold 17 st :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Some great pics there - amazing how much snow's gone since last week's reports though! Particularly like the 3rd pic - possibly not an obvious choice but it's just totally different to normal with no skyline. Stob Dubh is such a great looking peak though and you have some superb shots of it there... Don't forget my "Coward's Route" for Aonach Eagach! Saves carting a rope...
mountain coward

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks MC 3rd pic was a mistake, :) .quite happy to use a rope on the ridge I think,even though I get dizzy standing on a chair,as zetec and sparra legs are two experienced climbers,and work mates I may add who will keep me right :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 pm

Was up this hill 1 week before you

What a difference a week makes :shock: glad we decided to wait another week.

Spoke to zetec last week,well up for the ridge,in 2/3 weeks time

yep you will need to get the finger out or im going to get to 50 before you :)

Heres your catologue pose with the ridge
Buachaille Etive Beag 10.JPG
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland