walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

7 become 2 in North Wales

7 become 2 in North Wales

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Drosgl

Date walked: 30/05/2014

Time taken: 3.45

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 925m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd been looking forward to this walk for weeks for several reasons. Firstly I was off work, secondly it was a chance to visit some proper mountains after months of bog trotting around the Pennines and Dales and thirdly I had some company in the form of my friend Dan. The fact that the forecast looked favourable was the cherry on the cake.

We had a fairly late-ish start from Preston knowing that we had hours of daylight in front of us and nothing particularly to do on Friday night. The plan had been to take in the 7 Hewitts to the North of Carnedd Llewelyn leaving Tal y Fan for another day. This would be a long walk with plenty of ascent.

Dan's been struggling with his ankle since we did the Three Peaks back in March but having taken in Helm Crag on Tuesday he was confident it was ok again UNTIL he went over it yet again on Wednesday night at Footy. Still he was pretty confident that it would be alright for the walk,

We parked at the good car park near to Aber falls and followed the pavement path right around to the Falls - a spectacular place and justifiably popular.

From here we left the crowds behind and continued round, leaving the path to take a steep pathless ascent alongside Afon Gam up Drosgl.

Car Park.JPG
Car Park (£2 for a full day is very reasonable!)

Paved path.JPG
Paved path gives good access to the falls

Aber Falls.JPG
Falls come in to view

Aber 2.JPG
Below the falls

Pathless Ascent.JPG
Pathless ascent up Drosgl

Progress was quick to the summit despite a few false summits although by now I could already tell that Dan was struggling. I asked him if he was ok and he was willing to give it a go to the next summit but on the descent I could tell that he was in a lot of pain and on the scramble up to the Nuttall top of Bera Bach I looked around and he wasn't there.

Soon the call came and he had decided wisely to call it a day. The injury wasn't going to get any better and with several miles to go and many ups and downs this was the only logical place to shorten the walk and call it a day. Disappointing considering that most the hard work of the initial ascent was done and, although the 3000ft mountains were in a bit of cloud, the weather was generally good.

I couldn't see him at this point so agreed that I would head over to the top of Bera Mawr from where I would be able to see him and make a direct line for him so we could go down together. This worked out well and the top of Bera Mawr was actually a pleasing minor scramble.

Summit Drosgl.JPG
Summit cairn on Drosgl

Coast 2.JPG
Looking back to the Coast

Bera Mawr and Bach.JPG
Bera Mawr and Bach (with the Carneddau ridge behind in cloud) from Drosgl

LLyntmor.JPG
Llwytmor

Bera Mawr from bach.JPG
Bera Mawr from Bera Bach

Near top of Bera Mawr.JPG
Near top of Bera Mawr

I rejoined Dan at the depression and we started to head downhill, taking our time and making sure that he was in as little discomfort as possible although I could tell he was in some pain.

Eventually we rejoined the good Aber Falls track and it was an easy wander back to the car and we settled for just the two hills and an early beer in the sun!

A day with a tinge of disappointment but in truth we had still done a fairly decent walk and the other hills aren't going anywhere....we can always come back!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland