walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Baby Buachaille

The Baby Buachaille

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 24/05/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 952m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm sure there are loads of TR's on this one and my tribute is not going to be anything special, but I still intend to tell the story. Buachaille Etive Beag is one of those "touristy" mountains which anybody with reasonable levels of fitness can visit. It may be steep but the whole ascent is done on a newly upgraded path. Plus, this must be the easiest pair of Munros in Glen Coe, views on a good day are mind-boggling... So we expected hoards and crowds on the Baby Buachaille on Saturday the 24th :shock:

Two years ago we climbed Buachaille Etive Mor to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We enjoyed a fantastic day, though the cloud was lingering just above the summits and we didn't get the full extend of the views, especially south to Glen Etive. But I loved the traverse and found it easy (we didn't go up any rock climbing routes :lol: :lol: ) so hoped that the wee brother would be just as interesting. I didn't want another semi-good day in grey colours, so we kept this one for bright, sunny conditions - and we got what we wanted on bank holiday weekend!
I knew from our previous visits to Glencoe, that parking can be a nightmare, especially on the weekend day, so I dragged Kevin out of bed at 5:30 AM (he wasn't happy about it!) so we would arrive at the Beehive car park reasonably early. My gut feeling proved right - when we got to the car park it was almost empty, but when we returned after 4.5 hrs, it was full to bursting, cars parked on the grass, squeezed into every available space, more cars on the next layby :roll: It pays to be an early bird :lol: :lol:
The car park early in the morning:
Our route was the usual one to traverse the Wee Brother, up Stob Coire Raineach first, then the quick traverse to Stob Dubh and back down the same way:

Track_BUACHAILLE ETIVE MOR 24-5-14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From the Beehive car park, the obvious, well-made path looked so inviting that I didn't waste a single moment:
Beinn Fhada, one of the Glen Coe Sisiters, dominated the view at the moment:
From Glen Coe side, the Baby Buachaille doesn't really look that impressive. It saves its best for last - wait till you get to the ridge!
The path divides after half a kilometre or so, the right branch continues into the glen along Allt Lairig Eilde, we turned left towards the steep side of our target hill. Climbing is steep, yes, this mountain does not have a gentle approach, but one gains height quickly, so views are getting better and better...
Looking down the path:
Aonach Eagach :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Mummy... I wanna go home! :shock:
The path is very good al the way to the lowest point of the ridge (748m point) and though it was warm, a small burn provided cold water as refreshment :lol: No need to hurry in despair, we took a reasonable pace though and soon arrived on the col. Now we could admire the whole length of the ridge of the bigger brother:
Two minutes to regroup and we aimed for the northern Munro first. Here is the final ascent as seen from the col. One would say - piece of cake. There are a few different paths worn by hillwalkers, at different stages of tumbling :lol: The best is, I think, the one to the very right:
Half way up Stob Coire Raineach, we stopped for a short time to admire what lay behind us...
Zoom to Stob Dubh and Ben Starav:
Just below the summit, the slope becomes more rocky (lots of square-shaped rocks, looking like small bits of old ruined town), but no scrambling required - I was glad to do some rock-hopping just for fun!
We met another pair of walkers, they were just leaving the summit when we arrived. Apart from them, we only saw one person on the ridge so far, and I was glad I ordered Kevin out of bed so early! Surprisingly, we had the summit of Stob Coire Raineach just to ourselves... Welll, for about 15min, anyway :lol: :lol:
Summit pose:
It was only half past ten in the morning and we were more than happy to sit down, relax, sink in the views... It was worth saving this hill for a good day! Here are a few summit panos from SCR - Baby Buachaille didn't disappoint!
Some cloud lingered above Bidean nam Bian and the glen, casting shadows on the hills, adding some spooooookiness :lol:
Aonach Eagach (is it really as bad as it looks?):
View north to Blackwater Reservoir:
The round-topped hill is Beiin a'Chrulaiste, a Corbett. A must-do with the best vantage point to the famous north buttress of Buachaille Etive Mor. A winter outing, possibly?
The Mamores with Ben Nevis (the very summit still in cloud) looked majestic from this angle:
Ben Starav again, this one dominates the view to the south - its shape reminds me a bit of Ladhar Bheinn when seen from the north:
The Big Brother is watching :lol:
Stob na Doire and Creise peeking from behind:
The classic view of Stob Dubh with Loch Etive to the left. I've seen a similar shape only once - An Gearanach on the Ring of Steall. Not many hills have such a perfect symmetry:
Another snap:
The Bidean Group. I'm glad to have done them, they look scary :shock: (though the view is misleading, in summer conditions they are a good ridgewalk):
Kevin happy after devastating four sandwiches :lol: :lol:
Having enjoyed some unexpected solitude on the first Munro, we gathered up and started the descent back to the col. half way down we bumped into a large group, maybe 20 people and a few dogs. Since then, we would meet another person/people basically every 5min or so - our solitary time on BEB was over!
The climb from the col to the middle top is straightforward. I noticed a small patch of snow we'd gave to cross, but there was a well-worn line of footprints showing the way...
The middle top (902m) seen from the col:
As you can see in this picture, the snowpatch could also be avoided to the left:
We climbed up the snowpatch using this well worn "path" - no problems whatsoever:
... then continued to the second Munro of the day - the ridge in front of us looked cracking:
Again, no scrambling needed, but a good (though short) ridge walk:
Back to the Nevis Range:
Not exactly Aonach Eagach :lol: :lol: but a pleasant stroll nevertheless:
Looking back along the ridge to Stob Coire Raineach and the hills beyond:
Twelve o'clock sharp, and I'm on my second Munro of the day!
The summit of Stob Dubh has 2 cairns, the first (northern) one being the true summit. We arrived here first, having overtaken everybody else on the way up :lol: , but I was afraid that the crowd behind us will soon arrive and spoil the silence, so we traversed to the second cairn, where we stopped for a long break :D The views from here are much better anyway.
On the edge of the ridge, looking down to Glen Etive, with Ben Starav to the left and Beinn Trilleachan across the loch. Kevin has done this Corbett and he said it's a great mountain. Sure I'll get there one day :D
A few classic panos from Stob Dubh - enjoy:
Towards Bidean:
Bidean summit - zoomed:
Cornices on Stob Coire Sgreamhach:
Stob na Broige looks steep...steep:
One little cat on a baby mountain facing the MONSTERS:
Looking towards AE ridge and the Mamores beyond:
Zoom to Ben Nevis, now free of cloud:
The classic "end of the ridge" view to Glen Etive:
The summit, as we had expected, started getting very busy at some point:
The Big Brother's ridge is much longer:
Hillwalkers on the summit of Stob na Doire:
Can you spot a person on the ridge?...
We sat on the summit for over half an hour, chatted to a few "new arrivals" :lol: :lol: and felt so happy to be there on a good day! Eventually it was time to go, still a long drive back home...
Kevin ready for the return trip:
We retraced our steps along the ridge back to the col and then descended the path back to the car park. On the way down we met more people going up - must have been over 100 walkers on baby Buachaille that day!
Thanks to our early start we managed to avoid the crowds (at least for the first half of the walk) and enjoyed as good a day as this wee brat could give us :lol: Kevin is now all into returning to do this hill in winter conditions. Why not? I'd like to try it again with snow on the ridge!
Obviously, this is the easiest Munro in Glen Coe, but easy doesn't mean boring and the Baby Buachaille provided us with a smashing albeit short trip (4.5 hours and this with a lot of lazying about). Highly recommended as a good one for beginners, with good views and easy paths all the way. Now, the next time we return to Glen Coe will be for the infamous AE ridge... My knees are weak already... :wink:

Two days later we set off against the weather to visit the Munros north of Spittal of Glenshee. Got drenched, walked in cloud, swam in the mud, had problems crossing rivers again, almost turned back but emerged triumphant :D Story to come soon. Meow!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: The Baby Buachaille

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:09 pm

What a fantastic day you had, BP. It looks like a great introduction to Glencoe - don't know if I'll ever get there but will keep it in mind if I do! Fabulous photos too.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:25 pm

What a day you got and photos to match! Specially like the one of Stob Dubh with Loch Etive on left. Well worth the long drive from home! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:08 pm

Great report BP.

Still to do these two and with those weekend crowds definitely a Friday walk for me.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Many thanks, folks :D BEB is a good hill for a half-day adventure and the best way to avoid the crowds is to stay away from weekends (we couldn't do it, sadly, no flexible work time).
Funny, that we left the easiest mountain in Glen Coe till after Bidean and Big Buachaille... :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Shug » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:15 pm

It was nice and quiet when I did it on a sunday, arriving at about 11:30am.
All you need is to do it at the end of march, when its filthy and gray and visibility is crap. Hey presto, mountain to yourself :lol:
Shug

Munros:10   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Still to do these two and with those weekend crowds definitely a Friday walk for me.

There's a good unfrequented alternative way up Stob Coire Raineach: walk about 200m E along the main road from the car park, then follow the E side of the obvious dog-leg burn (Allt Coire Raineach) to join the main ridge at about the 800m mark, and follow this to the top. No path, but quite reasonable going.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi BP

A great report with wonderful pictures. I was up here on the 22nd and loved every minute :clap:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Ibex » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Spectacular photo's there. Wish I was there!
This walk has just entered my 'to do' list and I can't wait to tick it off. Amazing views all around. Awesome!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Another cracker BP :clap: :clap:
They are definitely on my immediate to do list, especially as they are now probably the nearest hills I haven't climbed :wink: Once there is a 'weather window' I will be heading west (again) :lol:

Thanks for the post :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Great report, and some absolutely wonderful pics, as usual.

I was enjoying similar weather on the South Glen Shiel Ridge on the same day, but my pics are nowhere near as good as yours :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby goth_angel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:56 am

Lovely photos there. This was the first hillwalk we did in Glencoe and it is a cracking little walk with great views - excellent view to effort ratio! Stob Coire Raineach is one of only 3 Munros I have done twice.

Beinn a'Chrulaiste is a cracking viewpoint and well worth the effort though it is a bit of a bogtrot at times.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby jepsonscotland » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:46 pm

Great photos. :clap: :clap:
I did these two at Easter and although rated 'easy' by many, they are no less spectacular for the views.
Especially with good quality photos like yours. So much better than a phone camera! :wink:
Well done
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jimmy dev » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:23 pm

Cracking report and photo's will be doing these two this Friday, Report gives a great overview of what to expect.
jimmy dev
Mountaineer

Munros:127   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:11

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:29 pm

Cracking day for it and good set of photos as usual ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland