walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Contrasting landscapes of Skye

Contrasting landscapes of Skye

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Route description: Coire Lagan

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bioda Buidhe

Date walked: 27/05/2014

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1000m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One of the best things about Skye is the diversity of its landscapes. From the pleasingly rounded Red Hills to the fierce majesty of the Black Cuillin, the dramatic cliffs of the western coasts to the rolling moorland of the interior,the fascinating volcanic rocks of Minigish to the the quite frankly bizarre puzzles of Trotternish. There is truly nowhere quite like Skye. :D

Wednesday 27th of May 2014

Following an indifferent Tuesday, Wednesday, our wedding anniversary (14 years :shock: ), was a fantastic morning with a chance of thundery showers on the afternoon. We headed for the Cuillin but decided on a shorter walk with the weather in mind and where better than upper Coire Lagan.
We just about got parked at the end of the road, never seen Skye as busy as it was this week :shock: , and headed up from the campsite.

ImageGlen Brittle Beach by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageApproaching Coire Lagan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Once we arrived at this incomparable location, a true cathedral for lovers of mountains, we set about exploring and scrambled up onto the slabs to the North before crossing over to the Great stone chute side to catch a glimpse of the Inn Pin. We spent what must have been a couple of hours admiring the views scrambling about and watching and listening to climbers making their way up the precipices. All to soon it was time to head down and we were back at our cottage for the week before the rain started in earnest and gave us an obligatory Skye rainbow. :D

ImageCorrie Lagan reflections by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHappy family by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageSgurr Alasdair by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLochan Coire Lagan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe Inn Pin by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking out to sea by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageA Cathedral of Mountains by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Coire Lagan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHeading back by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageRainbow over Ben Tianavaig by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Thursday 28th of May

I must thank Musicfinder for the inspiration for Thursdays walk from this report here. Once again the numbers visiting Skye this week were quite staggering with the Quiraing car park totally overwhelmed. We set off up the gentle slopes across the top of the escarpment with fewer and fewer people the further we went. The views to the mainland hills and mountains were excellent as were the precipitous views down to some of Trotternish's lesser known pinnacles and turrets.

ImageQuirang from the start of the walk by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageTrotternish by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageWide open spaces by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to Druim an Ruma by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageBack towards Bioda Buidhe by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards Beinn Edra by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We continued until we reached the grassy bowl of Bealach Uige and dropped down to the foot of the escarpment for our return walk. The initial section beneath Druim na Collie was wonderful if rough going. It is easy to imagine the Quiraing being like this before the people and woolly locusts descended with heather, dwarf shrubs, wild flowers and mosses a plenty, a true land that time forgot.

ImagePointing the way ahead by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageUntamed by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

While sitting for a rest we spotted a Golden Eagle gliding into the cliffs we had just passed. Unfortunately I didn't have my zoom lens with me so no photos of any note :( For the remainder of the walk we followed various sheep trails, getting higher and higher on the grassy slopes until we escaped up a gully close to the car park. This was a fine wander of an exploritary nature, if a little wearisome following several miles traversing 45 degree or steeper slopes on tiny sheep tracks. highly Recommended if you have already explored the Quirang and the Storr.

ImageDun Dubh by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageWishing one leg was longer than the other by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageAlmost back to level ground by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Two more wonderful days spent on the (not so) misty isle. :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Contrasting landscapes of Skye

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Wonderful Island with wonderful pictures, its a long long time since I was in Glen Brittle (1968) stayed in a Youth Hostel with nothing else around for miles.

It looks like it hasnt changed much

Cheers Anthony
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Loved these pics. I could spend every weekend every year on Skye. Fabulous.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Great report and love all your photos. Coire Lagan looks like a great walk in its own right. And you managed to get away from all the crowds - it looks like it just the three of you most of the time.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby simon-b » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:28 am

A memorable trip, Anthony. Lots of spectacular views without having to climb too high. Jimmy and I will be quite near there soon, we're in Kintail tomorrow.

Excellent pictures as ever.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:04 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Wonderful Island with wonderful pictures, its a long long time since I was in Glen Brittle (1968) stayed in a Youth Hostel with nothing else around for miles.

It looks like it hasnt changed much

Cheers Anthony

Don't think it will have changed much at all, certainly the Midge will be no better :wink:

Alteknacker wrote:Loved these pics. I could spend every weekend every year on Skye. Fabulous.

Thank you, I could spend every day of the year on Skye if I'm honest :D

AnnieMacD wrote:Great report and love all your photos. Coire Lagan looks like a great walk in its own right. And you managed to get away from all the crowds - it looks like it just the three of you most of the time.

Thanks Annie, wasn't too bad away from the car parks, we managed quite a while with upper Coire Lagan to ourselves, and your right it's a wonderful objective by its self without worrying about scree chutes.

simon-b wrote:A memorable trip, Anthony. Lots of spectacular views without having to climb too high. Jimmy and I will be quite near there soon, we're in Kintail tomorrow.

Excellent pictures as ever.

Cheers Simon. we were there for the week and bagged the excellent Marsco on Sunday, report here, and Bla Bheinn via the south ridge on the Friday (report to follow). Sounds a great trip you and Jimmy have planned, hopefully the Scottish weather is as kind to you as it was to us.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:22 pm

I really enjoyed your report and, as ever, some wonderful photos doing complete justice to the amazing scenery, Anthony :thumbup:

"wishing one leg was longer than other".............I'd be alright going one direction as my right leg is now longer than the left!!! :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Musicfinder » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Anthony, your Thursday walk photographs brought back my memories of the same walk. You have some excellent photos to remember your walk by. :clap: :clap: We were also spending that week on Skye, but our paths apparently never crossed.
Musicfinder

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:20 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:I really enjoyed your report and, as ever, some wonderful photos doing complete justice to the amazing scenery, Anthony :thumbup:

Thanks Susie, most kind.

SusieThePensioner wrote:
"wishing one leg was longer than other".............I'd be alright going one direction as my right leg is now longer than the left!!! :lol:

Well they do say every cloud has a silver lining :wink:
Musicfinder wrote:Anthony, your Thursday walk photographs brought back my memories of the same walk. You have some excellent photos to remember your walk by. :clap: :clap: We were also spending that week on Skye, but our paths apparently never crossed.

Thank you for the kind comments and the inspiration for the walk :thumbup:

Bit of a coincidence to be on Skye the same week. We spent the week trying and largely succeeding too avoid the crowds.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby MarkyMark10 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:26 am

Brilliant report Anthony and love the photos. We have never been to Skye but need to address that soon.
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:04 pm

MarkyMark10 wrote:Brilliant report Anthony and love the photos. We have never been to Skye but need to address that soon.

Many thanks Mark and you will certainly have to visit Skye, it's better in real life than any photo.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:10 pm

Wonderful photos - I agree about the contrasting landscapes - Skye is one of my loves too. :D Seeing these photos tells me I'm due a return visit :lol: Thanks for posting!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Wonderful photos - I agree about the contrasting landscapes - Skye is one of my loves too. :D Seeing these photos tells me I'm due a return visit :lol: Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the kind words
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland