walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birthday Triple

Birthday Triple

Postby Pete and Esther » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 06/06/2014

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1235m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was my birthday on Friday so took a day off to go munro-bagging. We stayed in Killin overnight to get an earlier start on what looked like a long walk. Stuffed full of breakfast we parked at the Lawers hotel and set off, past the horn carvers, through the flowery wood and over some enormous stiles (a test for An Stuc?). The initial cloud level did not look promising.
image.jpg
We followed the path beside the Lawers burn eventually turning up a faint path which became better defined as we headed upwards. There were early signs of the cloud breaking.
image.jpg
. We met a remarkably tame vole.
image.jpg
. After a steady climb through the mist we reached the top of Meall Greigh where we got fine views of a cairn!
image.jpg
. We then carried on towards Meall Garbh and the cloud started to break.
image.jpg
. And also got views of what we fondly believed to be An Stuc.
image.jpg
. Hope that snow isn't on the scramble! As we got closer to the top of Meall Garbh we started to wonder why if Meall Garbh and An Stuc were the same height An Stuc looked so much higher? And of there was more Meall Garbh where it was hiding? We reached the top.
image.jpg
. Ah that will be An Stuc then!
image.jpg
. So what we were looking at was yes Ben Lawers - doh! Down Meall Garbh and started up An Stuc with its infamous scramble. The first third of the climb is a clear if rocky path. Then you get to the scramble.
image.jpg
. This is simple with no difficult moves. Obviously you don't want to fall off but there is no reason why you should. Eventually we came out onto a clear path to the top.
image.jpg
image.jpg
. We then headed down to the bealach which currently contains a large patch of snow obscuring the way down to the lochan.
image.jpg
. This is bigger than it looks in the photo - we held on to the edge of it and it must have been about three foot thick. Once at the bottom of the ice we thought our problems were over but the descent is very steep on slippery grass. I slid down on my bum for about half of it and found it more worrying than the scramble up An Stuc. It was worth it once down at the lochan with stunning views of all the mountains around us. I took a picture of our descent route, the lochan, and a flower I didn't recognise. Once home my flower book indicates it's starry saxifrage.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
. It was then straightforward around the loch and down to the dam.
image.jpg
and nice walk back to the Lawers hotel in the sunshine for tea and scones.
Pete and Esther
Mountaineer

Munros:216   Corbetts:66
Fionas:8   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:108   

Re: Birthday Triple

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Nice one, I still have nightmares (well not really) about the descent off An Stuc :(

Happy birthday by the way :clap: :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Birthday Triple

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:16 am

Pics look great and at least the cloud broke for you, looks like a good day :)

Happy birthday

G
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland