walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munros One and Two

Munros One and Two

Postby Chris Henshall » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Route description: Sgòrr Ruadh, Achnashellach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr, Sgòrr Ruadh

Date walked: 18/07/1975

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

18th. July, 1975:
This was my first adventure on the Scottish hills as a fifteen year old with a bunch of mates from school on a ten day trek from Killilan to Ullapool.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Burdened by heavy Vango tents, primus stoves and Karrimor frame rucksacks, two days had taken us to Achnashellach via Glen Ling and, midge bitten and wet but undeterred, we were keen to climb our first mountains.
Leaving the bothy in Glen Ling (17.07.1975.).jpg
Leaving the bothy in Glen Ling (17.07.1975.)
It was a simple walk in good weather. We crossed the railway line at Achnashellach station and, using sheet 26 (Lochcarron) of the old one inch series, we headed up the River Lair under the impressive crags of Sgorr Ruadh and turned left at the top to take in the summit. It was then an easy traverse across the head of the valley to the white summit blocks of Beinn Liath Mhor followed by a descent north to Torridon and a midge infested campsite at the foot of the path up to Coire Mhic Fhearchair.
Summit of Beinn Liath Mhor (18.07.1975.).jpg
Summit of Beinn Liath Mhor (18.07.1975.)
The descent was notable for the discovery of a seemingly fearless fawn, a young grouse motionless in the long grass and the remains of a meteorological balloon (which we carried down to Torridon).
Young deer on descent from Beinn Liath Mhor (18.07.1975.).jpg
Young deer on descent from Beinn Liath Mhor (18.07.1975.)
A good day.
Next report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43124
Last edited by Chris Henshall on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Munros One and Two

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:45 pm

yup - can well remember those external frames rucksacks with bits that dug into your back.....as well as gaiters with tie up laces (no velcro then), waterproofs that weighed a ton and didn't breathe at all....etc etc....and 35mm film :lol: :wink: - but still enjoyable nonetheless - great to have the memories - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby martin.h » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:14 pm

I was 16 and that July a group of us were on a post O level school trip staying in the old schoolhouse in Elphin which had been turned into a hostel. I remember being in awe of the mountains up there. The photo of the Bothy,the gear outside it and your description of it brought back many memories of that time and the sence of adventure, that's when the mountaineering bug took hold. Thanks for sharing.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Chris Henshall » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:01 pm

yup - can well remember those external frames rucksacks with bits that dug into your back.....as well as gaiters with tie up laces (no velcro then), waterproofs that weighed a ton and didn't breathe at all....etc etc....and 35mm film :lol: :wink: - but still enjoyable nonetheless - great to have the memories - cheers :)

I was 16 and that July a group of us were on a post O level school trip staying in the old schoolhouse in Elphin which had been turned into a hostel. I remember being in awe of the mountains up there. The photo of the Bothy,the gear outside it and your description of it brought back many memories of that time and the sence of adventure, that's when the mountaineering bug took hold. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for commenting Rockhopper and Martin.h and sorry for not responding at the time; I have treated these posts as a diary as much as anything else and there always seemed something more important with which to be getting on... Poor of me.
It was all a long time ago now but, as you both suggest, the memories of those early trips stay with you and, while the gear might have changed, the camaraderie and the sense of adventure haven't. These were, as the title of the post suggests, my first Munros and I reckon that, unless catastrophe intervenes, I'm on track to finish them all before the next decade is out; that'll be well over 50 years of wandering around Scotland at too infrequent and rather irregular intervals!
May see you out on the hills at some point but, as I prefer to pick unfrequented routes off a map, maybe not...!
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland