walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal-Charn and Mountain Cursing on A'Mharconaich

Geal-Charn and Mountain Cursing on A'Mharconaich

Postby fingeez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 10/04/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 713m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after a welcome offer of a lift from Monty there i was up at the crack of dawn 5am and all packed up and ready to ship out. He arrived bang on time and we were off and first ones in the car park at around 7am.

I got all booted up and we set off up the path and over the railway track. We quickly left the track as it headed off in the wrong direction. We croassed the burn and headed off up the heather and mud clad slopes towards Geal-Charn, very shortly my state of fitness was showing and i stopped for a quick drink of water and to pop my gaitors on, Monty carried on as he had 2 more Munro's to climb than myself. Boy can that man walk!!! he doesnt climb the Mountains so much as walk straight through them hahaha.

I carried on labouring up the slope the heather and mud having taken abit of its toll on me :)

100_0225.jpg
The view down the path up.

I climbed up and up feeling my energy draining when yes finally iv made it the cairn is right here, quick few pics and grab a seat for a cuppa, then just as i open my bag and grab my thermos i look over my shoulder and hmmmm wait a minute whats that!!!!!!! oh turd theres the summit another 1km uphill. Ok then thermos back in the bag and carry on no cuppa for me yet haha. I make it up and finally get my cuppa ahhhhhh.

100_0228.jpg
Me at the summit of Geal-Charn and A'Mharconaich behind

100_0230.jpg
Looking towards Loch Ericht

I meet another walk up here who caught me up and we take pics for each other, and i carry on towards the next summit of the day A'Mharconaich decending to the bealach and take a wonder along the path for abit past the slope i need to climb, just to kill a little time and see some sights :) eventually tearing myself away and turning back towards the slope up A'Mharconaich, i steadily start to make my way up. My legs are burning and I feel as if iv no energy left to give and my legs are just plodding on themselves. Dam really should have grabbed breakfast!!!! After what feels like forever i get there and stop for lunch.

While i'm having lunch and notice something sticking out of the toe of my boot, hmmm whats that?!! turns out its the sole of my boot split and coming away!!! ahhhhhhhh ffffffff darn! So after much cursing this Munro and stropping I pack myself back up and prepare for the descent. oops almost forgot the summit pic, ah well quick u turn and few steps back, im sure i'll manage with gloves on!! turns out i messed it up!!

100_0234.jpg
A'Mharconaich summit with gloved fingers doh

I start descending the fairly steep slope, and my legs are loving it not having to pull me upwards now :)

100_0240.jpg
The path down!

I carried on down the summit at a nice leasurely stroll pace, passing lots of pools of water with randy little frogs getting busy! and trudge through the boggy ground back towards the car, turning to take a pic of the summmits of the day.

100_0246.jpg
The two summits of the day

I get back to Monty's car and get changed and have a drink :)
About 20 mins later Monty strolls into the car park!! eh 20 mins, i know i was going slow but 20 mins for 10km more hahaha he is a walking machine!!!

Good day was had all round though, despite by busted boots and learning curve about making sure i get a good breakfast first.
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Re: Geal-Charn and Mountain Cursing on A'Mharconaich

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:03 am

Were the busted boots the new ones you just got :lol:?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:13 am

Wow - how awful about your boot/s! :( That kind of thing is why I always carry spare things like bootlaces so I could tie the sole back on if it really wanted to fall off... A' Mharconaich is one of my favourite Munros so far though - at first I was worried you were cursing that!

But, judging from your comments about start times, I don't think you're lacking in fitness so much as you would have been absolutely knackered all day from starting sooo early. Those kind of starts just don't agree with a lot of people - I'm one of them. If I set off early, I just end up going really slow all day and feeling rotten. If I set off at my more normal times of 1030 or later, I bound over the hills. So it was probably lack of sleep and being out of bed at a time which was unnatural to you rather than a lack of food or fitness...

What on earth did you do with the rest of the day?
mountain coward

Postby jonathan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 am

thanks for the report - made me laugh this Friday morning (not at the unfortunate incident with your boots tho!) Amazing how the snow is disappearing. Did these 4 in Feb and you couldnt get into the car park at Balsporran cos of the drifts. Agree with MC; my missus isnt one for breakfasts so we carry plenty of food espec in winter. We have plenty of stops to "graze" rather than having a big lunch.
jonathan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:11   Donalds:38
Hewitts:299
Wainwrights:214   

Postby fingeez » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:41 am

Hey leithySuburbs, nah they were the reason i had to go get new ones. I'd had them about 10-12 years though so wasnt so bad, they've last a rather long time and seen me through loads of camping trips and spots of walking :)

haha Mountain Coward. Nah i really liked the Munro too, was just cursing it for breaking my ol faithful boots haha and nearly killing my legs :) Yeah the early start prob had abit too do with it aswell, although i was up at the same time to go up Glenshee and had a good porridge breakkie and was fine and bounding around the hills :? maybe just a mix of both plus the late planning the night before lol.

Hey Jonathan no probs at all :) yeah the snow is going fast for sure, lets me get up a few more of the steep ones though :) with my lack of winter equipment.
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:57 am

Funny little report there fingeez, although I'm sure you didn't always see the funny side of it at the time! :( It's happened to all of us - the hill day from hell. As for Monty, I've never walked with him but I've heard about his pace. His reputation precedes him (about the only thing that does) :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby fingeez » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 am

Hey Greame

I wouldnt say it was quite the hill dday from hell....yet, im sure it will happen though :)

haha yeah i think that would be about the only thing that does precede him :lol:
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Ross,
Funny little report there :lol: Pictures look familiar :D You are certainly getting around. That's you up to 10 munros in a week. At this rate your hill fitness will improve leaps and bounds and you will be up to speed in no time.

Graeme, your making me blush :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby fingeez » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Hey Monty

yup def getting around lol, be a little bit b4 im out again, cars up for mot and needs wing mirror fixed, new exhaust, road tax is almost up aswell!!! and prob a few other bits to pass mot lol.

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland