walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinne Loinne, hard road and wet hill

Beinne Loinne, hard road and wet hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Route description: Beinn Loinne, from Cluanie

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Loinne

Date walked: 06/06/2014

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 19.2 km

Ascent: 818m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be the Corbett to start the weekend off en route to the Ardelve Camping site. Parked the car on the old road to Tomdoun to the East of The Cluanie Inn on the A87 and was ready to go by 1230hrs. The low cloud had lifted by this time and any mist had been burnt off and the sun was trying hard to show itself, first crossing the bridge at the West end of Loch Cluanie and then passing the entrance of Cluanie Lodge on your left set in some woodland next to Loch Cluanie and heading off South East as if to commence on the South Shiel Ridge the old road with still some of it's milestones evident heads South and then East after crossing the Allt Giubhais and beyond the well worn path which is the start of the SSR and the awaiting seven Munros. I don't think there is a dry ascent to this hill as there are so many wet and boggy areas on the South West side of this Corbett and the sooner you head off to higher ground the better.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2.JPG
The start of the Old road to Tomdoun
3.JPG
Looking back to The Cluanie Inn and the Corbett Am Bathach now devoid of trees and an ugly woodfellers track very evident
4.JPG
Cluanie Lodge sitting within a wooded area adjacent to Loch Cluanie
5.JPG
Old Bridge and style where you can start the climb to the first Munro on the SSR
6.JPG
Looking back down to the wet boggy area which appears to be unavoidable to access this Corbett
7.JPG
The Cairn (Summit) and the trig point
8.JPG
View from the trig point looking East
9.JPG
The summit looking towards the SSR
10.JPG
Looking North West down Loch Cluanie
11.JPG
Looking South from the summit towards Loch Loyne
12.JPG
Bridge over the Allt Giubhais on the return journey
13.JPG
The scarred hillside of AmBathach
14.JPG
Crossing the bridge over the West end of Loch Cluanie looking East. Deffinately time to put the gaitors on for this one at least for the lower section of the hill once you have walked an hour on the hard road surface and for a similar experience on the return journey.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinne Loinne, hard road and wet hill

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Nice one :D
It's boggy from the other side too :( although maybe not so bad :?

Would like to do this one again from end to end this time. great viewpoint up there :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:25 am

scoob999 wrote:Nice one :D
It's boggy from the other side too :( although maybe not so bad :?

Would like to do this one again from end to end this time. great viewpoint up there :D

Hi Stuart, a very wet hill, don't think I'd rush up here, I'd definitely do Sgurr an Airgid again though, just down the road a bit, a fabulous wee hill, keep it for a clear day though, stunning views all around, report to follow soon. By the way your fairly adding those Corbett Blue Balloons aren't you. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 am

We climbed this one in snow so it wasn't too bad, but I remember crossing boggy patches here and there, and we saw zilch from the summit :( Still a good hill though...

You did Sgurr an Airgid? Wow, that's another one from my early spring outings. Knee deep snow again :lol: It will be interesting to see it in warmer conditions.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:20 pm

BlackPanther wrote:We climbed this one in snow so it wasn't too bad, but I remember crossing boggy patches here and there, and we saw zilch from the summit :( Still a good hill though...

You did Sgurr an Airgid? Wow, that's another one from my early spring outings. Knee deep snow again :lol: It will be interesting to see it in warmer conditions.

I read your report before climbing it!, pity you had no views, they are wonderful from the top, but to be honest the Kintail area your spoilt for choice, Stunning! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:35 pm

This must be you getting tore into the Corbetts now Rod :lol:
You didn't sound overly impressed with this one :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:This must be you getting tore into the Corbetts now Rod :lol:
You didn't sound overly impressed with this one :(

Correct there FF, but I'm really enjoying most of the Corbetts I've done. This one might have been better approaching from the East but other reports suggest that it's every bit as wet on the lower sections. Be careful when climbing this one, I am of the opinion that the wee cairn on a rock crop is the actual summit rather than the Trig point, but there is only about 30m between them. Needs clarification though as the SMC Corbett book suggests the summit is the Trig point. Any suggestions!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland