walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A weary scrabble - Beinn Bhan

A weary scrabble - Beinn Bhan

Postby clivegrif » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhan, near Kishorn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhan

Date walked: 31/05/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 690m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There are two 4 o’clocks in the day. Unfortunately it was at the first one that I left a heartbreakingly bemused Monty Dog at home in Worcester and set off for the North West Highlands. It was mid-afternoon when I finally arrived at the top of the Bealach na Ba. The plan was a quick sprint to the top of Beinn Bhan, and then camp out at the top of the pass to catch the sunset and then the sunrise. Well, that was the plan.
Fortified with a blast of strong black coffee, I set off from the viewpoint car park up the track towards the mast. I left the track after only a few yards to contour round to the left, but soon found that this was not going to be straightforward as the ground was distinctly rough and bouldery. Dodging some craggy outcrops and picking my way through the red sandstone lumps the way led to ridge and the edge of the cliffs that bound Coire nan Arr, with a fine view of the Chioch ridge of Sgurr a’ Chaorachain to the right, and round to the rising lump of Beinn Bhan to the left.
Part way along the ridge are some small lochans, and I was hoping they would provide a decent photo opportunity but I fear they were too far back from the edge.
Beinn Bhan.jpg

The head of the Coire nan Arr was surprisingly steep, but a shelf provided a route to safer ground and the Bealach nan Arr. From the Bealach it is a reasonably straightforward trudge of about a mile or so and up a thousand feet to the top of Beinn Bhan.
Sadly the weather was slightly murky, and the outstanding views from the top were a little muted. From here the views across Torridon are sensational, as is the close up view of Beinn Bhan’s Chioch ridge and the Coire na Poite below the summit.
Torridon from Beinn Bhan.jpg

Chioch.jpg

Nothing for it, turn round and reverse the route which is mercifully quicker being downhill! This time I continued along the ridge to the cairn and mast sitting on top of Sgurr a’ Chaorachain’s second summit, surely it must count for something? No but the track makes for easier walking back to the road.
Feeling distinctly weary I settled down for a night in the comfort of my car. The hoped-for sunset didn’t really happen as the clouds were moving in. There was a surprise appearance of some space aliens who clearly use Applecross as a landing site.
Aliens landing.jpg

A few short hours later dawn arrived, with its stunning view across to Skye.... or not….
Oh.jpg
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Re: A weary scrabble - Beinn Bhan

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Oh, Clive, what a shame you didn't get the stunning views from the top! Also, you did make life hard for yourself - the Coire nan Cuileag path starts just down the road and takes you almost to Bealach Coire nan Arr bypassing the dreaded sandstone shelves and boulders.

Having said that, you did get some great views into Coire na Poite and of the Torridon hills so hope you think it was worth it.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby clivegrif » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:42 am

Hi Annie

I knew what I was missing - this was the view last year:-

ImageSkye in the clouds 2 by cliveg004, on Flickr

I did look at that path you mentioned on the map, oh well!

Cheers.
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Ah, now I don't feel so bad for you - that is a stunning photo! I'll go and check it out on Flickr.

The path in Coire nan Cuileag is the shooters' path and has been used by the locals for generations - in fact it's the only way any self-respecting local (excluding me!) would go up Beinn Bhan. It therefore must be the easiest route. I did it first when I was a teenager many, many moons ago wearing jeans, sneakers and a T-shirt - no water or anything else!!!! It was a scorching hot day and I got sun-stroke as a result. :crazy:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Hmmm! I'm not sure I'd call the views muted - murky or not, they look pretty spectacular to me! The colours are amazing - really atmospheric. You certainly seem to got the best out of them with some really splendid pix.

I'm impressed at distance you travelled: I thought it was bad for me, and I live about an hour further North than you!!

BTW did you take your cloud inversion pic or the Cuillins on Saturday 8th June 2013?? I experienced the most wonderful cloud inversion on that day in the Mullardochs, but unfortunately only had a completely useless mobile phone camera with me. The Cuillin Ridge, Torridons, etc. were wonderfully clear also - well worth the 10 hour+ drive!

Dawn on Carn nan Goblar 04-15 (reduced).jpg
Dawn on Carn nan Goblar - 04.15 Saturday 8th June 2013
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby clivegrif » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:58 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Hmmm! I'm not sure I'd call the views muted - murky or not, they look pretty spectacular to me! The colours are amazing - really atmospheric. You certainly seem to got the best out of them with some really splendid pix.

I'm impressed at distance you travelled: I thought it was bad for me, and I live about an hour further North than you!!

BTW did you take your cloud inversion pic or the Cuillins on Saturday 8th June 2013?? I experienced the most wonderful cloud inversion on that day in the Mullardochs, but unfortunately only had a completely useless mobile phone camera with me. The Cuillin Ridge, Torridons, etc. were wonderfully clear also - well worth the 10 hour+ drive!

Thanks very much - it certainly is worth the trek, whatever the weather!

And yes, it was the inversion pic was taken on 8th June, it was a terrific day. In fact I had a some brilliant days up there last year, in particular this one:-
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32975

Hope to be in Ardnamurchan later this year, and hopefully the light will be a little better for the camera.

Best wishes
clivegrif
Rambler

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:32 pm

clivegrif wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:Hmmm! I'm not sure I'd call the views muted - murky or not, they look pretty spectacular to me! The colours are amazing - really atmospheric. You certainly seem to got the best out of them with some really splendid pix.

Thanks very much - it certainly is worth the trek, whatever the weather!

And yes, it was the inversion pic was taken on 8th June, it was a terrific day. In fact I had a some brilliant days up there last year, in particular this one:-
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32975

Hope to be in Ardnamurchan later this year, and hopefully the light will be a little better for the camera.

Best wishes

Wow, your pics from 6th June 2013 in Skye are truly sublime. I wonder you ever got down from the mountain!

We had some really amazing weather last year (and in 2012 also in fact)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland