walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro One Hundred and Eleven

Munro One Hundred and Eleven

Postby Chris Henshall » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:57 am

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Carn Mor Dearg Arete

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, Ben Nevis, Carn Mor Dearg, Stob Ban (Mamores), Stob Coire a'Chairn

Date walked: 28/05/2014

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

28th. May, 2014:
Having had a good night in Coire an Lochan on the north western side of Stob Ban, Daughter Mary and I were up and away by 5.30.am. and, striking up to the rocky north ridge of the mountain, we headed off along the Mamores.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The summit of Stob Ban is airy but the way off simple and it was an equally simple romp over the back of Sgurr an Iubhair to the pleasant west ridge of Am Bodach – my only new Munro on this day. The steep descent led to the easy climb onto Stob Choire a Chairn before a long descent contouring down the eastern slopes of An Gearanach to the Water of Nevis.
Fording the river was straightforward and it was then a short step to Steall where we turned right and headed up past the waterfalls to the familiar col between Carn Mor Dearg and the Aonachs – a great campsite provided that it isn’t windy.
Day 2a - Pause by waterfall on climb above Steall .JPG
28.05.2014. Only photo of the day: a pause by the waterfall on the climb above Steall
The next day was a bit of a rush. After a rainy night, we were up and away by 4.30.am., on top of Carn Mor Dearg around 5.30.am. and on the summit of The Ben by 7.00.am. A quick couple of photos heralded a steady jog down the upper snowfields and zig zags to make the station in Fort Bill with 90 minutes to spare before the train at 11.40.am.
Day 3a - Dad and Mary on the summit of The Ben.JPG
29.05.2014. Fat Dad and Daughter Mary on the summit of The Ben
Day 3b - Mary on the summit (1).JPG
29.05.2014. Mary on the summit (1)
Day 3c - Mary on the summit (2).JPG
29.05.2014. Mary on the summit (2)
It had been a good three days.
Day 3d - A celebratory glass on the return train.JPG
29.05.2014. A glass to celebrate a good trip on the return train.
Last edited by Chris Henshall on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:187   
Hewitts:156
Wainwrights:193   

Re: Munro One Hundred and Eleven

Postby MunroMadMen » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:56 am

Looks like you had a great time and the pics are great, wish I could convince my son to scale the Mountains with me however not his thing.

Looks like you two have a great bond and love of the Mountains

Geo
MunroMadMen
Mountain Walker

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Munro One Hundred and Eleven

Postby smalltounboy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Great Dad & daughter trip, hope my daughter Chloe will have to same enthusiasm for the hills when she is Mary's age

Mark
smalltounboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:7
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland