walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Lochain

Beinn an Lochain

Postby talisker96 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 15/04/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked up it on a beautiful day. No cloud and only a mild breeze which actually disappeared at summit. Very enjoyable walk which I'll definitely do again. Easy to come back down in dry conditions but would definitely need much more care in wetter conditions. PS no sheep on the hill so my dog was off lead all the way
talisker96

Munros:1   

Re: Beinn an Lochain

Postby JTweedie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:05 pm

First time I tried this was from the car park at the Rest and Be Thankful, but it was a miserable day with water pouring down the slopes and really heavy fog. I made a shot of it, but couldn't see further than a few feet at a time so ended up coming back down.

Second time was much better, this time from the car park further down the road. It's a really good walk and feels much higher than it is. Some of the high ridges feel quite airy, especially with the wind blowing.
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn an Lochain

Postby talisker96 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:31 pm

I agree about the height (it is only 20ft or so of a Munro I suppose), and I really enjoyed the almost ridge-like quality in many places. But I do re-iterate that much more care would need to be taken if wet underfoot, particularly on descent. And it's fairly relentless, unlike Ben Donich across the road which I did the following week and found myself strolling up.
talisker96

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland