walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor In All It's Wonder

Buachaille Etive Mor In All It's Wonder

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 16/06/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

003 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
Today's Challenge

We had been watching the weather report for almost a week, this was the one I had heard about, the one that draws you in "Buachille Etive Mor" I had heard the guys talking about it for ages, the views you get on a clear day are beyond words, the feeling of complete calmness mixed with the mystical stories and Legends of Glen Coe, if you get to the top on a clear day you won't want to come down.
005 (640x480).jpg
Just Arrived

God had been kind and the weather was scorching, was going to be a tough climb but the views at the top we knew would be outstanding, so myself, Andy, Tommy & Martin (Fife Flyer) set of at a good pace towards the base
010 (640x480).jpg
Feeling the pace and the heat

The climb itself was made slightly easier only by the constant banter that we had going amongst the group, everybody was hyped to catch the views and chill at the top, shoot the breeze for a while and take in what we were about to achieve, I knew this one would be special
014 (640x480).jpg
Pit Stop

015 (640x480).jpg
Taking It In

The heat had demanded that we take regular breaks to take water on board, question was would we have enough to see us through the day or would we resort to throwing ourselves into a Lochan or stream, one thing for sure I was starting to wish I had remembered the sun screen ;)
021 (640x480).jpg
Scramble Time

We had reached the rocky part of the climb which gave us a bit of a challenge however nothing was getting in our way today, just made the climb that bit more exciting, as if it required to be hyped up lol
024 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
Pic Time

One thing for sure we were going to make sure we had taken plenty of pics, not wanting to ever lose these images, as the climb progressed I realised just why everybody tends to hold this one as being quite special, for me it went from one astounding view to another, some were just beyond words.
033 (640x465).jpg
Chill Time

031 (640x480).jpg
Andy & Tam

From here it was the final push up towards the summit of Stob Dearg, the legs had a knew lease of life and we were off again.
043 (640x480).jpg
There It Was, Paradise

As we wandered along the top towards the cairn we knew we were witnessing something people will go there whole lives and never see, became quite clear why we call it God's Country.
046 (640x480).jpg
What A View

052 (640x480).jpg
Pic Time

053 (640x480).jpg
Views

054 (640x480).jpg
Views

We decided that we would head off and cross the Bealach and stop at the summit of the de-classified Munro for some luch before moving on to tackle the wonders of Stob Na Broige, Don't get me started on the de-classification thing.
056 (640x480).jpg
Lunch Time

After lunch it was a steep descent down and back up to tackle our final Munro of the day, the sun had been beating down on us all day and was relentless at times as we continued the climb, water was running low and the heat was sapping the strength from our legs, the banter had started to fade also as we tried to conserve energy, every now and again Andy would throw something into the mix to keep us all going and as we neared our summit a new lease of life and energy gripped us and the banter and laughs started again.
059 (640x480).jpg
Tabbing

060 (640x480).jpg

061 (640x480).jpg

064 (640x480).jpg

We had made it and decided it was time to relax and take in the views, not only that but we had all bars on our mobiles lol, a better signal than when at ground level. Txts to the relevant people and Phone calls proceeded while we toasted the Mountains with a spot of Glen Morangie from the hip flask.
063 (640x480).jpg
With Me All The Way

After a period of time the long slog down began, a bit tricky due to the fact that snow was still covering parts of the route down which made it pretty tough going at points however nothing could take away from the day we had just had. We reached the bottom and into the valley and from there it was a gentle tab back to the transport although as we walked the cars never got any closer, or so it seemed.
dearg1.jpg

I can still remember sitting at the top taking in the views, Will there be another day like this as I work my way through our stunning list of Scottish Mountains. One thing is for sure, I now know that I have a passion for Our Mountains, one I never knew I had. That Day will remain with me for life, Will I continue my goal of climbing and never find what I found today ever again. I heard from a guy who had climbed all 282 and he told me that he had left the best till last "Buachaille Etive Mor" . I'm proud of my homeland, my country and will look forward to many more day's like this CFGB
Attachments
005 (640x480).jpg
Last edited by MunroMadMen on Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor In All It's Wonder

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Nice one George, will definitely be out with you again if you can arrange weather that good :lol:
As we discussed (numerous times), days like that in Scotland are very, very rare - sun shining without the usual haze :wink:
Really enjoyed the banter & as you said the views were exceptional, Rannoch Moor from on high, the rest of Glencoe & of course Ben Nevis which seemed to generate it's own weather system - almost like mini clouds :lol:
A few of the 132 photo's I took, enjoy :wink:

DSCF4390.JPG
Amazing or what?

DSCF4397.JPG
The 3 amigo's with the route up in the background

DSCF4409.JPG
The 'Ben' slightly zoomed

DSCF4412.JPG
Looking back towards the layby, Blackwater Reservoir in the background

DSCF4421.JPG
Panorama view with Devils Staircase in the foreground

DSCF4440.JPG
Rannoch Moor from on high

DSCF4445.JPG
Andy admiring the view

DSCF4458.JPG
Nice one of Rannoch Moor

DSCF4464.JPG
Devils Staircase

DSCF4485.JPG
The ridge to the 2nd munro
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:31 pm

Awesome pics Martin, I will look forward to seeing the rest of them, I sent you my email and messaged you on FB, looking forward to our next outing, was a great day and a good laugh :wink:
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Well done :clap:

A very special mountain to me, It was our last munro where i proposed to Fiona :D So a double compleation and an engagement. very happy day :D

All you need to do now is get to the summit via curved ridge :shock: now there's a walk for you 8)
Glad you all had a great day
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:28 pm

scoob999 wrote:Well done :clap:

A very special mountain to me, It was our last munro where i proposed to Fiona :D So a double compleation and an engagement. very happy day :D

All you need to do now is get to the summit via curved ridge :shock: now there's a walk for you 8)
Glad you all had a great day

Thanks Scoob999

I can see why it is a special Mountain for you, it was amazing. The views were outstanding and the climb was awesome. The weather was exactly what you could hope for when you get to the top of a Mountain like that. I will need to look at the curved ridge for some other time :wink:

Scoob it was the best day, we chatted about how nobody get's us, it's not until you experience what we did that day that you understand the way we think.

Tag in some time and share your knowledge/experience when you see us heading out

Cheers
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Great: glad you had a good day out! You certainly picked a good day for it.

MunroMadMen wrote:Don't get me started on the de-classification thing.

Just for the record, Stob na Doire has never been a Munro! It has more re-ascent (144m) than any other Top in the current list. (Stob na Broige was promoted from Top to Munro in 1997).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:31 pm

jmarkb wrote:Great: glad you had a good day out! You certainly picked a good day for it.

MunroMadMen wrote:Don't get me started on the de-classification thing.

Just for the record, Stob na Doire has never been a Munro! It has more re-ascent (144m) than any other Top in the current list. (Stob na Broige was promoted from Top to Munro in 1997).

Yeah the weather was exceptional, and thanks for putting me right :wink: lol
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 pm

that did look a good day out - great when you get conditions like this :thumbup: also have good memories of a trip to the hills here - Stob na Broige was #100 - just another few hours and you could've added on BEB's two :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby MunroMadMen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:00 am

rockhopper wrote:that did look a good day out - great when you get conditions like this :thumbup: also have good memories of a trip to the hills here - Stob na Broige was #100 - just another few hours and you could've added on BEB's two :wink: - cheers :)

Weather was unreal which gave us views we never thought we would see, honestly there was'nt another few hours left in me :lol: the heat sapped it right out of us lol
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:46 pm

I can understand why you wanted to take as many photos as possible, looks like you couldn't have had a better day for it and what stunning views.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby MunroMadMen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Sarah86 wrote:I can understand why you wanted to take as many photos as possible, looks like you couldn't have had a better day for it and what stunning views.

Was the best day Sarah we could have hoped for although I am pink now due to forgetting my sun factor 9000 lol, may have been better with a balaclava :lol:
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby MunroMadMen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:56 pm

rockhopper wrote:that did look a good day out - great when you get conditions like this :thumbup: also have good memories of a trip to the hills here - Stob na Broige was #100 - just another few hours and you could've added on BEB's two :wink: - cheers :)

BEB's two, is that the smaller ones beside Stob Na Broige??? :?
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby clivegrif » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:00 pm

Great report - its not a bad spot on a sunny day is it!! :lol:

Glad you had a great day.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby MunroMadMen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:11 pm

clivegrif wrote:Great report - its not a bad spot on a sunny day is it!! :lol:

Glad you had a great day.

The day we had was outstanding, and yeah not a shabby spot on a sunny day :lol:

will deffo return for sure, looking forward to my next outing with a good bunch of lads with some great banter
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby MunroMadMen » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Glad you all had a great day[/quote]

Now you have me thinking about this Mmmmm :lol: so impatient
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland