walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A grand day out in Drumochter

A grand day out in Drumochter

Postby Gavsco » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:55 am

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 15/06/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 25.75 km

Ascent: 1131m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following on from our trip to Blair Atholl a couple of weeks before, we headed up to Drumochter on Sunday to attempt the 4 Munros on the west side of the A9. The forecast was looking good, a bit of low cloud in the morning and early afternoon, but clearing as the day progressed.
We arrived at Balsporran at 9am, a 3hr drive from Hawick, and we set off at 9.15. We crossed the railway line and headed off up the track, this looked quite new and I hoped this was replacing the boggy path that I'd read about, unfortunately, after about half a mile or so, the good track just stopped and the bog started here! I'm in dire need of a new pair of boots, the soles are fine (I had them re-soled last year!) but the uppers have developed a few holes, and of course these let in water as soon as I set foot on the bog...wet feet for the remaining 15 and a half miles...great! (it didn't bother me that much really!)
SAM_2574.JPG
A'Mharconaich and Sgairneach Mhor, behind to the left, with their heads in the clouds, from the car park.
SAM_2575.JPG
Balsporran Cottages, the start of the walk.
SAM_2577.JPG
Look left, look right, listen....and RUN!
SAM_2583.JPG
Looking back to the cottages and the car park.
SAM_2584.JPG
The good path suddenly stopped and was replaced by a quagmire!
SAM_2585.JPG
Looking south along the pass and A9.
SAM_2588.JPG
The boggy path occasionally improved,these parts didn't last long and quickly became bogs again!
SAM_2603.JPG
Summit of Geal Charn.
DSC_1070 (Small).JPG
Loch Ericht from Geal Charn.
SAM_2608.JPG
A'Mharconaich still in cloud, from Geal Charn.
SAM_2611.JPG
Dwarf Cornel on the descent from Geal Charn.
DSC_1071 (Small).JPG
Almost stood on this wee chap. he's well camouflaged!
SAM_2614.JPG
The path down Geal Charn meets this track, Beinn Udlamain at the back on the right.

We reached the summit of Geal Charn in about an hour and 15 mins, had a quick bite to eat and set off towards A'Mharconaich, which up to now had been shrouded in cloud, this started to clear as we made our way up the path to the plateau, and we had decent views when we reached the cairn.
SAM_2623.JPG
Summit plateau and cairn on A'Mharconaich

Another quick refuel, and then on to Beinn Udlamain following the occasional rusty fence posts down to, and back up from the bealach, the summit is another rounded plateau, with a large cairn with some rusty fenceposts.
SAM_2634.JPG
Stony summit and large cairn on Beinn Udlamain
We met a fellow walker and his dog, who'd come across from Sgairneach Mhor, it turned out that Malcolm knew him as he used to live in the Borders but had moved up to Inverness, (it's a small world!) he worked for the RSPB, both in the Borders and up north, we had a brief chat about birds, and went on our way, first down the quite steep rocky southern side of Udlamain, and then up the gentler, grassy slopes of Sgairneach Mhor.
DSC_1076 (Small).JPG
Loch Ericht from Beinn Udlamain, Ben Alder at the back in cloud.

We must have strayed slightly from the path as we found ourselves approaching a small cairn which we assumed was, or near the summit, but as we approached it we could see the actual summit away over to our right! The soft grassy/mossy surface was a delight to walk on, even with my sodden feet! The summit was reached and another bite to eat!
SAM_2654.JPG
A motley crew at the summit of Sgairneach Mhor
DSC_1082 (Small).JPG
Panorama from Sgairneach Mhor, Schiehallion and the Lawers Range in the distance.
SAM_2661.JPG
Snow in the corrie on the east side of Sgairneach Mhor.
I suggested an attempt on the Sow of Atholl as we were heading in that direction, but it was rejected in favour of "just getting back to the car!"...fair enough, I wasn't THAT bothered! We followed the path round the crags, and started to descend over some quite boggy areas, eventually reaching a good track and a bridge over the burn. we followed this track up to the A9, and walked the last couple of miles along the cycle path, back to Balsporran.
SAM_2663.JPG
Malcolm on the descent path. Quit boggy in parts this one!
SAM_2666.JPG
The decent track at last!! Good to be clear of the bog!
SAM_2676.JPG
After about a mile and a half of trudging along the path by the A9, Balsporran comes into sight! YAY!!

Being a keen birder, I try to take my binoculars with me on my walks, but I didn't this time as I hadn't seen much on my previous outings. Sightings of Short Eared Owl, lots of Golden Plover, Ptramigan (I almost stood on a chick near the top of Geal Charn, it was so well camouflaged!) , Kestrel, Dunlin, Raven, Whinchat, a single Dotterel, and several Mountain Hare, all told me I should've brought them! Malcolm had brought his, so I managed some decent views of some of them using his pair!
I really enjoyed these four, relatively easy going, the walk back to Balsporran along the A9, did spoil it a wee bit, but it was over quite quickly (an hour!) so no real problem, the wildlife was a great added bonus, a few year ticks for me and a life tick in the Dotterel, I went home happy! :D
Gavsco
Mountaineer

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:43   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland