walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

At last another munro

At last another munro

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:11 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 06/06/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have to be one of the slowest munro baggers :lol: I am always out and about but due to not liking to drive far pushing on with the munros has been rather slow. I am feeling a bit more confident with driving now and Comrie isn't too far a drive from Clackmannanshire so I decided I would set off alone and attempt Ben Chonzie. I knew Ben CHonzie would be my next option as I am starting easy :-P I checked the forecast and it was to be nice and cool early in the morning with glorious sunshine as the day progressed - perfect. I decided to do the straight forward route as describe on WH and set off at 8:30.

The start of the walk was uneventful.. I followed the track which gradually head uphill, it was nice and cool with some clouds linger over the hill tops. I didn't take any photos at this stage as wanted to push on. As I approached the steeper section of the path I realised I was walking into the clouds.... this was perhaps a good thing as I couldn't see how steep the path would get or how long for. I eventually reached the cairn where a faint path leads off to the left, I decided to treat Penny to her tripe stick which was initially meant for if we reached the top. I swithered whether or not to continue as I was on my own and visibility was poor... however I pushed on up the faint path as I knew further up the fence posts would lead to the summit making it difficult to get lost.

I could tell the sun was trying to push its way through and failing but the cloud did lift so we set off up the faint path.

The views didn't last long... I couldn't believe how quickly the cloud surrounded us again

All views... gone within 30 seconds

We weren't alone...

Fence posts! I knew I had to be close... for some reason at this point Penny came to life and had a spring in her step grabbing bits of old sheep wool when she could... strange dog!

The usual summit pose, 3 days before here 11th birthday

If you wait around long enough... you might just get some kind of view

I had the summit to myself and enjoyed just sitting for a while.... sitting in hope the cloud would lift.

Again, a small view to Loch Turret

By the time I decided to leave the summit there was a couple of others... time to follow the fence posts home

Of course the blue skies start to make an appearance on the way down :-)

I know this one gets a bit of bad press as being boring and yes not as dramatic views as many but pretty still the same

Was glad I set off early.... well early for me as by the time we were near the bottom it was incredibly hot

Although we probably took longer than most and we didn't get the views I had hoped for I really enjoyed myself and was glad I made the effort to attempt it on my own.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Re: At last another munro

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Some lovely photographs there Sarah86, and still wee pockets of snow here and there also. Nice one to do by yourself :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby SuperMillie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Well done!!! :clap:

Some lovely photographs

Congratulations on 'bagging' another Munro - a great achievement considering your lack of confidence in just getting there.

I bet you feel great for the experience

Good luck in your quest to do more, and hope you get some views on the next one
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby MunroMadMen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Great pics and yeah I second the fact well done getting out and gaining experience, I'm lucky enough to be climbing on occasion with a few guys that have a few Munros under the belt, feel free to tag in sometime and nail some Munros with us
:)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi Sarah

Looks like Penny enjoyed herself .

Ben Chonzie does get a bad press sometimes but I've climbed it a few times and always enjoyed it.

Where's next???
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Nice one Sarah, you have the right idea - walk at your pace & enjoy :wink: It is not a race & nobody gets a medal for being the quickest up & down :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby simon-b » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Well done, Sarah. Lednock is an attractive glen, and Ben Chonzie is a good mountain for wildlife. It looks like you had a good day.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:45 am

Well done & nice pics :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Some lovely photographs there Sarah86, and still wee pockets of snow here and there also. Nice one to do by yourself :D

Thanks :-) I often enjoy going out myself as I don't feel as rushed and can walk at my own pace, this was my longest solo walk, as you say a good one to go alone.

SuperMillie wrote:Well done!!! :clap:

Some lovely photographs

Congratulations on 'bagging' another Munro - a great achievement considering your lack of confidence in just getting there.

I bet you feel great for the experience

Good luck in your quest to do more, and hope you get some views on the next one

Thank you, I do :-) Nothing beats the feeling of getting to the top of a hill/mountain, no matter which one it is and I did feel good for managing the adventure on my own and has given me a bit of confidence to start having more further afield outings with Penny.. as long as no motorways are involved!

MunroMadMen wrote:Great pics and yeah I second the fact well done getting out and gaining experience, I'm lucky enough to be climbing on occasion with a few guys that have a few Munros under the belt, feel free to tag in sometime and nail some Munros with us
:)

Thank you, I appreciate the offer but I am probably a bit slow to e good company :lol: I enjoy good brisk walks but as soon as I go up hill I slow down. I need to push on and get out on the hills more often.

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Sarah

Looks like Penny enjoyed herself .

Ben Chonzie does get a bad press sometimes but I've climbed it a few times and always enjoyed it.

Where's next???

I am not sure which one will be next, Schiehallion, Ben Lawers, Ben Vorlich and Ben Lomond are all within a comfortable driving distance for me but Penny doesn't seem so keen on constant long uphill walks these days and from what I read these ones are quite steep ascents. Perhaps Mount Ken, Mayor or Meall Nan Tarmachan are some easier options.

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Sarah, you have the right idea - walk at your pace & enjoy :wink: It is not a race & nobody gets a medal for being the quickest up & down :lol:

It felt nice going at my own pace :lol: normally when with my sister she is quite a few strides in front and I am always hurrying. There is too much to see to be up and down in record time.

simon-b wrote:Well done, Sarah. Lednock is an attractive glen, and Ben Chonzie is a good mountain for wildlife. It looks like you had a good day.

It is, lots of little birds flying in and out the heather, grouse, mountain hares and then the heart in mouth moment when a baby rabbit decide to run right in front of Penny :? luckily it darted to the other side of the path in one piece!

jupe1407 wrote:Well done & nice pics :clap:

Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:00 pm

Enjoyed that, Sarah. Love the dog photos and the last one - real summery shot.!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland