walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fisherfield via An Teallach

Fisherfield via An Teallach

by rockhopper » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:01 am

Route description: Fisherfield 6, from Shenavall

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn, Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 15/06/2014

Distance: 51 km

Ascent: 3900m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Fisherfield via An Teallach

Postby gary.nimmo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Hey RH,
Will need to log back on later to see your photos in their splendour as our work internet is rubbish! However, spotted you were on 281 and wanted to add my best wishes for the last one which is no doubt very much in your sights in the near future! At one point (before the arrival of my 2 year old) our munro count was edging up at a similar rate....but you really have stepped in up since then! Fantastic effort, hope you get a cracking day for Slioch - all the best when it comes!
gary.nimmo

Munros:140   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:24 pm

IreneM wrote:Slioch was our final Munro too......a really smashing one to compleat on.
thanks Irene - not sure when but am watching the weather forecast :roll:
inca wrote:Still got to do these mountains ... All the best for Slioch when it comes.
cheers Inca - hope you enjoy them as well when you get there
Meatball wrote:...I'm a plodder (not a fast one either), but thank you for the flattery
:lol: you're welcome campbell...but, having seen some of your times, you do yourself a disservice :wink:
Fife Flyer wrote:That really is quite a walk, especially with all the kit :wink:
thanks FF - could probably reduce it more but the approx 4kg I've cut already made a big difference
mountain thyme wrote:.. the opposite way. The Fisherfield 6 from Shenaval and then home via An Teallach.
cheers MT - yup, I do remember your WR with mgmt! "helping you" round :wink:
gary.nimmo wrote:At one point (before the arrival of my 2 year old) our munro count was edging up at a similar rate.
thanks gary - yes, marriage/kids kept me away for the best part of 20yrs - hope they don't keep you away for so long !
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby theconductor » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:36 pm

What a splendid walk with some great photos. Not sure whether "pickling up water" on A'Mhaighdean is ethical though??!!
:wink:
theconductor
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:36 pm

theconductor wrote:Not sure whether "pickling up water" on A'Mhaighdean is ethical though??!! :wink:
oops - missed that typo (not that the spell checker would have got it either :roll: ) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:25 pm

Congratulations on a well deserved win! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby th3 b4gger » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Great photos. Bring back memories!
Good luck with compleation. :D :D
th3 b4gger
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Hewitts:135
Wainwrights:214   

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:19 am

Well done on TR of the month, well deserved..you not got Slioch done yet... :wink:
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:04 pm

thanks dogplodder and th4b4gger :)

scottishkennyg wrote:you not got Slioch done yet... :wink:
nope, not yet - not in any rush - am waiting for some good weather (so may be a while yet :roll: ) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Postby Silverhill » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Wow! I do like my long walks, but this is of a different caliber. :clap: Best of luck for the last one. Good things come to those who wait! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:03 pm

You make these hills look so tempting - even the cloudy ones are atmospheric. :D , perhaps next year ...

Congrats on the win and all the best for a great day on Slioch when the weather gods finally smile :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:29 pm

Wonderful effort rockhopper, been meaning for ages now to find more time to read reports again .... you popped up first! Inspiring stuff, especiallly as we up An Tealach last week and got Fisherfield plans simmering :D :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Yes, loved this report on first reading, and it was just as good on second reading. And some truly inspiring pix.

Still have to do the Fisherfields....

Well deserved Walk Report win. :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby colin liptrot » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:07 pm

This is really great, I have planned a similar route to do in a couple of routes. I was going to take three days over it really, tackling An Teallach and staying at Shenevall on the first night. Then, I was going to take on the Fisherfield round clockwise, so Beinn a' Chlaidheimh to Beinn Tarsuinn on the second day with a wild camp inbetween there and A' Mhaighdean, then finishing the round and back to Dundonnell on day three. We'll see how that pans out but I wonder if it's better to do the round anti-clockwise as most people seem to do that. Looking forward to the trip and thank you for posting this, it has been very helpful.
colin liptrot
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:21 pm

colin liptrot wrote: We'll see how that pans out but I wonder if it's better to do the round anti-clockwise as most people seem to do that.

I thought most people went clockwise, as per https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/fisherfield-6.shtml, maybe because, if doing all 6 in one day, it leaves the worst of the bog and river crossings to the end of the day when you might care less about getting wet feet. If you are planning to complete the round and walk out on the same day without returning to Shenavall, anti-clockwise seems like a good plan?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby colin liptrot » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Cheers for the reply. I've seen some walk reports of folk doing the round anti-clockwise, but also some clockwise. Just looking for advice really, gonna take two days over the round if required. I was thinking of doing Dundonnell > An Teallach > Shenval on the first day but it occurred to me that it might be easier to take my time doing the Fisherfield round, stay at Sheneval and tackle An Teallach on the third day when I am carrying less food.
colin liptrot
Munro compleatist

34 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland