walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Achaladair and a'Chreachain

Achaladair and a'Chreachain

Postby U059361 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Route description: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 18/06/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1244m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A long walk for the hottest day of the year. Walked along the Water of Tulla as recommended by WH route.
ImageAchalladar and remains of tower by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The ford over the Allt Ur was OK once I picked a decent spot.
ImageBeinn an Dothaidh from the ford on Allt Ur by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Beyond that was another one where the ground was very boggy and took a detour to get over it. After that it was dusty walking along the track and over the river towards the turn off for the next crossing.
ImageBEINN A'CHREACHAIN and BEINN ACHALADAIR by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The sign says footpath to hill and bridge. On going down I thought it had been rebuilt, but when I got to it was not yet fit for purpose.
almostbridge.jpg
Not quite ready for crossing yet.

I went further up stream and with a bit of effort got across with dry feet. Drank lots of water on the climb up from Watrer of Tulla. Bracken bog, faint path disappearing, but still made the fence when I climbed up the final bank away from the river. The deer fence and the Allt Coire an Lochain make it obvious where you have to go next. It was a bit better under foot the higher up I walked. Stopped for lunch on the side of the Coire with a view over the lochan.
ImageCoire an Lochain and Lochan a'Chreachain by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There was a wind, but it was warm too. Glad to get up on the ridge and soon at top of a'Chreachain.
Imagea'Chreachain top and Achaladair by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Hadn't seen anyone until now. Then everyone seemed to come along at once from the other direction. I was warned about the steep climb on Achaladair and the alternative path below Meall Buidhe if I didn't want to walk the ridge. I took it but it was a bit painful walking along the slope for so long.
The climb up Achaladair was fine as it zigzags up a fairly good route with no scrambling.
ImageBeinn a'Chreachain from Achaladair by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Great view up top with Loch Tulla, Rannoch Moor and all the hills around. Walked right along the ridge line all the way back to the drop down to Coire Achaladair. Good walking on firm grass.
ImageBeinn an Dothaidh from Achaladair by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLooking down Allt Coire Achaladair to car park by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The path in the Coire itself is pretty rough and boggy in parts further down. It was not the best path I've walked. Glad to see the car park and I was the last to leave.
ImageLooking back up Coire Achaladair by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Achaladair and a'Chreachain

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:40 am

cracking day for this walk - did look hot right enough - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland