walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Corranaich - get the start right and wear gaiters!

Meall Corranaich - get the start right and wear gaiters!

Postby ChrisH » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:35 am

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 23/06/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meall Corranaich & Meall a Choire Leith:

I did these two after a long dry spell and the terrain was still in places very boggy so I was really pleased I had put on gaiters from the start.
I wouldn't advise these walks after a spell of wet weather!

Get the Start right:-
Underneath the large cairn there is a small parking space for 3-4 cars. The route does not start behind the cairn but up a good stone path which leaves the road about 80 yards from the cairn back towards the reservoir.
Start of Path (on right) up to Meall Corraneith (Cairn up on left).jpg

This is an excellent well-made, stone path but unfortunately it quickly ends (currently at a large solid bag of concrete!)
Well made stone path at start og Meall Corranieth.jpg
and then vague paths lead out into boggy territory.
Head SE across the bog heading towards the top of the small hillock. At the top of this hillock the line of rusty fence posts leading SSE becomes obvious which really aids navigation and bog hopping.
Meall Corraneith - at the top of the hillock the line of fence posts appear!.jpg

The terrain is still boggy until the fence posts begin to lead up hill. Navigation following the fence posts is now straightforward and the terrain improves and the summit is reached with great views of Ben Lawers etc.
Two Walkers on the summit of Meall Corranaich with the pre summit cairn in the foreground.jpg

The route description is good and the navigation across to Meall a Choire Leith is straightforward.
Leaving the summitt of Meall Corraneith.jpg
A very unremarkable flat, rounded, summit it never-the-less has good views.
The undistinguished summit of Meall a Choire Leith.jpg

There is no obvious path off the summit but head South West and look for a quite well defined path which eventually emerges down the steep grassy slope.
The path crosses the burn and then contours across the slope, becoming vague and boggy again before arriving at the concrete reservoir.
Cross the stream and now the vague path heads across the bog back to the start.
Once the correct start is found these are 2 easy Munros, especially if you have a happy knack of sleuthing the best line through the boggy terrain!
ChrisH
Munro compleatist

Re: Meall Corranaich - get the start right and wear gaiters!

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi Chris - thanks for posting this report. On a day of clag and bog your notes really helped me.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland