walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spean Bridge: a week with views!

Spean Bridge: a week with views!

Postby simon-b » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn a' Chlachair, Beinn Teallach, Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Chno Dearg, Creag Meagaidh, Creag Pitridh, Geal chàrn (Laggan), Meall na Teanga, Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh, Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh, Stob Coire Easain, Stob Coire Sgriodain, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 14/06/2014

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The second of two weeks in June spent in the Highlands started with a journey between B and Bs: Innis a' Chro in Kintail to The Braes in Spean Bridge, and en route I had a rendezvous to make. I turned off to Kilfinnan to meet Martin (Fife Flyer) and Karen (kmai1961) for the first time.

Saturday 14/6/14: Sron a' Choire Ghairbh, Meall na Teanga
This was a very enjoyable day by Loch Lochy with great company, initiated by Martin on the WH 'Meeting up' board.
Martin's full report for the day's walk is here:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43141

Then it was on to The Braes, with the 16 Munros from the 'Spean Bridge and Roybridge' chapter of Paul and Helen's book on my radar.

Sunday 15/6/14: Stob Ban (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh, Sgurr Choinnich Mor
Distance: 26.8 km
Ascent: 1857 m
Time: 11 h

15 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was a demanding trip that covered some rough ground ( and that was just the drive along the track from Corriechoille to the parking spot). Clouds lifted from Stob Ban as I climbed towards it.

P6150215.JPG
Ascending towards Stob Ban

The higher peaks began to clear as I approached Stob Choire Claurigh.

P6150226.JPG
Looking along the ridge from Stob Choire Claurigh

The ridge traverse from Stob Choire Claurigh to Stob Coire an Laoigh was a classic, with tremendous views near and far.

P6150240.JPG
Moving towards Stob Coire an Laoigh

A bit of staying power was needed to get to Sgurr Choinnich Mor (my 141st Munro, if that number means anything) and back...

P6150243.JPG
Sgurr Choinnich Mor from Stob Coire an Laoigh

...but the longest outing of the fortnight was well worth it.

Monday 16/6/14: Stob Coire Sgriodain, Chno Dearg
Distance: 14 km
Ascent: 952 m
Time: 6 h

16 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was an easier day, and the sun was shining.

P6160265.JPG
Loch Treig and Glen Coe mountains from Stob Coire Sgriodain

With little wind, it felt hot, even on top of Chno Dearg at over 1000 m above sea level.

P6160276.JPG
Southern Highlands from Chno Dearg

There had been some excellent views from this walk, with some very distant hills visible.

Tuesday 17/6/14: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Choire Easain
Distance: 16.7 km
Ascent: 1189 m
Time: 7.1 h

17 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another fine day, and I parked near An Dubh Lochan where I encountered another walker. He introduced himself as Kev from Cowdenbeath, and we agreed to climb the Easains together.

P6170288.JPG
Approaching Stob Coire Easain

P6170294.JPG
Kev on Stob Coire Easain

Again, this was a warm day with excellent, far-ranging views.

P6170300.JPG
The Ben, the Aonachs and some Grey Corries from near Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin

On descending, we dropped off the ridge and came down to Fersit, allowing Kev to speculate for wild camping sites (in the end, he pitched his tent near the original parking spot by the Lochan). He said he had plans for Beinn a' Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach the next day, so I asked if I could join him again.

Wednesday 18/6/14: Beinn Teallach, Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean)
Distance: 16.4 km
Ascent: 1205 m
Time: 6.5 h

18 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Kev and I met at Roughburn, the weather still glorious. He fancied tackling Beinn Teallach first and I had no objection.

P6180308.JPG
Easains, Grey Corries and Aonachs, in retrospect from the ascent of Beinn Teallach

Beinn Teallach's NE ridge was enjoyable to descend, justifying Kev's suggestion to take a clockwise route.

P6180315.JPG
Descending Beinn Teallach's NE ridge

P6180320.JPG
Beinn a' Chaorainn's summit and south top from its north top

Descending Beinn a' Chaorainn to Roughburn wasn't bad, but this slope could have been a tedious slog in ascent.

I headed back to Spean Bridge, and Kev drove home to Fife. He'd been great company over the two days.

Thursday 19/6/14: Beinn a' Chlachair, Geal Charn (Loch Laggan), Creag Pitridh
Distance: 25.2 km
Ascent:1318 m
Time: 8.75 h

19 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather was still holding, albeit a little cloudier. During the walk in, mist lifted from all the summits I was heading for on this route.

P6190336.JPG
Beinn and Coire Mor a' Chlachair from the ascent route

Once on the hills, this was a nice little round over these three peaks.

P6190341.JPG
Creag Pitridh and Geal Charn from Beinn a' Chlachair

P6190356.JPG
Lochan na h-Earba and Loch Laggan from Creag Pitridh

After the walk out, it was back to Spean Bridge with just one full day in Scotland left, and the forecast was still looking OK.

Friday 20/6/14: Carn Liath (Loch Laggan), Stob Poite Coire Ardair, Creag Meagaidh
Distance: 21.5 km
Ascent: 1290 m
Time: 7.8 h

20 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was a pleasant, sunny morning as I parked at Aberarder for the last walk of my fortnight in the Highlands. As I ascended Carn Liath, the toll of the two weeks was beginning to tell.

P6200369.JPG
Looking back to Loch Laggan from the ascent of Carn Liath

Inspiring scenery kept me going.

P6200372.JPG
The view across to Coire Ardair and the Window while climbing towards Carn Liath

On reaching Carn Liath's summit, I met a German, who introduced himself as Reinhard. He set off in the direction of Creag Meagaidh at a pace, I felt a second wind come on, and soon I was bounding along the ridge too. He soon left me way behind, though.

P6200379.JPG
Moving towards Stob Poite Coire Ardair (summit hidden) and Creag Meagaidh

Conditions were still dry and clear on Stob Poite Coire Ardair, but rain and mist were advancing from the north. It began raining as I climbed from the Window towards Creag Meagaidh, but this soon petered out. I reached the summit just in time to get something of a view, and then the clag came down. I navigated my way back across the featureless plateau, and fortunately dropped out of the cloud on the way down to the Window. Snow on the steep slope below the bealach was easily bypassed, and I arrived at Lochan a' Choire. The scenery here is magnificent, with the great cliffs of Coire Ardair above the lochan.

P6200407.JPG
Lochan a' Choire

There was only patchy rain on the walk out, with a nice vista of Loch Laggan in front.

So then it was back to Spean Bridge for my last night, and a couple of drams ( a smooth single malt followed by a peaty one, of course). 30 Munros in two weeks might not break any records, and, of course, not all Munros are equal. But it was a personal best, and it was particularly pleasing to have had at least a partial view from every summit. From many there had been full, clear panoramas. A great and memorable trip!
Last edited by simon-b on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Spean Bridge: a week with views!

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 pm

excellent simon :clap: what a great second week to add to the first ! you certainly packed a lot into your visit and a well deserved dram at the end - glad the weather held out for you - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:31 am

Great stuff Simon, great to meet you & you certainly brought the weather with you :lol:
As you said you packed alot into your 'little' holiday, next time you are heading back north don't forget to give us a shout :wink:
One lasting memory, both Karen & I were really impressed with your knowledge & pronunciation of the hills :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:04 pm

Wow, impressive number of hills in the bag. Looks like you had a great holiday!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby dooterbang » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Great trip, and loads of hills conquered - well done.

Never get tired of the view down Loch Treig.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Thanks very much, everyone!
rockhopper wrote:what a great second week to add to the first ! you certainly packed a lot into your visit and a well deserved dram at the end - glad the weather held out for you - cheers :)

I'm looking forward to reading about your Slioch trip when it happens, RH. I hope you get good weather for that one.

Fife Flyer wrote:you certainly brought the weather with you :lol:
As you said you packed a lot into your 'little' holiday, next time you are heading back north don't forget to give us a shout :wink:
One lasting memory, both Karen & I were really impressed with your knowledge & pronunciation of the hills :lol:

Martin, the trouble is that when you learn one set of facts and figures, another goes out of your head. At the petrol station near Fort William, it was my credit card pin I needed to know, not the altitude of Creag Meagaidh; guess which one I forgot! Fortunately I also had my debit card, and I did want to go home - the sunny weather was heading south with me. Looking forward to more trips north, it would be nice to walk with you and Karen again.

AnnieMacD wrote:Wow, impressive number of hills in the bag. Looks like you had a great holiday!

Annie, one of the great things about doing these Munros is travelling around Scotland and getting views of other impressive hills, like the magnificent Corbetts you've been climbing.

dooterbang wrote:Never get tired of the view down Loch Treig.

It's a beautiful loch in superb surroundings, DB. There were plenty of views of it from different angles on this trip.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby kmai1961 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:33 pm

...it was my credit card pin I needed to know, not the altitude of Creag Meagaidh; guess which one I forgot!

too funny! :lol: :lol:

Impressive total, Simon, and great report. See you next time, hopefully.

Karen
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:95   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Thank you, Karen.
kmai1961 wrote:
...it was my credit card pin I needed to know, not the altitude of Creag Meagaidh; guess which one I forgot!

too funny! :lol: :lol:

Karen

It wouldn't have been quite so funny if I'd forgotten my debit card pin as well - not with rain coming to the Highlands!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Impressive tally Simon.

I did the Wainwright Way during your 1st week in Scotland and I forgot my pin for my debit card, luckily I remembered my credit card details. The year before I was doing the WHW/GGW and forgot my debit card pin no and had to contact the boss so she could arrange for me to collect money at BOS in Fort William - otherwise I was stuffed (must be the holidays that cause memory loss).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby simon-b » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:09 pm

Cheers, Gordie
Gordie12 wrote:
I did the Wainwright Way during your 1st week in Scotland and I forgot my pin for my debit card, luckily I remembered my credit card details. The year before I was doing the WHW/GGW and forgot my debit card pin no and had to contact the boss so she could arrange for me to collect money at BOS in Fort William - otherwise I was stuffed (must be the holidays that cause memory loss).

It's good to hear I'm not the only one who forgets card numbers. By the Wainwright Way, do you mean the walk from Blackburn to Buttermere?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Impressive stuff simon-b, well done! :D And fantastic that you had views for most of the time! I was in roughly the same area, only a week earlier than you, and recognise many of your pictures. I’ll try to get my reports up in the next 12 months or so. :wink:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:11 pm

simon-b wrote:Cheers, Gordie
Gordie12 wrote:

It's good to hear I'm not the only one who forgets card numbers. By the Wainwright Way, do you mean the walk from Blackburn to Buttermere?

Nope, meant the C2C from St Bee's to Robin Hood's Bay.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland