walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brimmond Hill - My Little Girl's First Walk

Brimmond Hill - My Little Girl's First Walk

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Route description: Brimmond Hill, near Westhill

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Brimmond Hill

Date walked: 30/06/2014

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3.24 km

Ascent: 114m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I ended up having the day off work and had already taken care of everything I planned to do whilst off so decided to go hill walking with my little girl on a wee family walk up Brimmond Hill.

This would be her first hill walk although technically it was a hill carry since she is only 6 months old and not even crawling yet! :lol: It was also my first time taking her out in the Deuter Kid Comfort Plus child carrier I'd picked up off Gumtree a week ago so I wanted somewhere low and nearby for us both to try it out.

It was a nice enough day, not sun shining and there was a little threat of rain in the air but nice enough for a wee jaunt so we packed the car and headed off.

Loading hunni into the Deuter was really easy. We'd had a little try when I bought it and she fit it really well so just a little adjustment of the straps and we were away.

It's a pretty short walk so I didn't bother with any maps and walked the route from memory of Walk Highlands. This, of course, led us to taking a wrong left and walking in a little bit of a circle to get to the summit. No harm done although I do think the description here could be a little clearer, it says don't aim for the summit and take a left instead!

The path at the start is pretty overgrown and very worn down but the walk in all is very simple, well sign posted and pretty strain free. The views are great at the top, even if there are quite a few masts going about.

The Deuter faired up really well. It was easy to load, Sophia was really comfy in it and mummy was happy that it was really stable and supportive. I'd highly recommend it and can't wait to take it, and the family, out on another work.

Here are the pics:

Heading up the hill

Strapped in and raring to go

Hunni's first trig point

View from the top

Proof that the Deuter is comfy!

Hillwalking is hard work!
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Brimmond Hill - My Little Girl's First Walk

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:42 pm

Well done all....especially Sophia :clap: They certainly have a habit of falling asleep at the oddest of times - can remember cycling up near Coylumbridge with my elder son (a long time ago now :shock: ) in the kids seat attached at the back of the saddle post - suddenly felt a dunt in my back and stopped in case something was wrong only to find that he'd fallen asleep and his helmet was hitting my back :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby SophiafaeScotland » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:59 pm

rockhopper wrote:Well done all....especially Sophia :clap: They certainly have a habit of falling asleep at the oddest of times - can remember cycling up near Coylumbridge with my elder son (a long time ago now :shock: ) in the kids seat attached at the back of the saddle post - suddenly felt a dunt in my back and stopped in case something was wrong only to find that he'd fallen asleep and his helmet was hitting my back :roll: - cheers :)

Blublublub gurrggle blub. :D
SophiafaeScotland
Scrambler

Sub 2000:2   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 pm

rockhopper wrote:Well done all....especially Sophia :clap: They certainly have a habit of falling asleep at the oddest of times - can remember cycling up near Coylumbridge with my elder son (a long time ago now :shock: ) in the kids seat attached at the back of the saddle post - suddenly felt a dunt in my back and stopped in case something was wrong only to find that he'd fallen asleep and his helmet was hitting my back :roll: - cheers :)

Cheers Rockhopper. Yeah tell me about it, she doesn't care where she is, if it is sleep time it is sleep time! I also had my wife checking when we noticed Sophia was sleeping that she was in fact a sleep and not knocked out cause I'd done up a strap too tight!
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby ceegee » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:29 pm

Great to see you getting out with the wee one , we bought a deuter carrier for our granddaughter and its been great. I see your from westhill , used to work in a Chinese takeaway when I was at uni in a trading estate in Westhills about 20 odd years ago. small world
ceegee

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:26 pm

Those carriers also work wonders for your putting, not that they stabilise you, just that everyone is looking, so you have to deliver.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Love that last photo! Great to get her used to the hills at that age - she'll be doing the Munros with you in not time.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks everyone.

I never realised just how many smaller hills are around the Aberdeen area. I knew of Bennachie and Clachnaben but that was it but since Sophia has forced me to take my Munro blinkers off I checked out the map on here of the sub 2000 footers and was quite surprised at how many are in easy driving distance.

AnnieMacD wrote:Love that last photo! Great to get her used to the hills at that age - she'll be doing the Munros with you in not time.

It's her mum I'm really trying to get used to the hills! She's not a keen walker so trying to ease her into it under the guise of heading out with hunni as well. :)
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby Silverhill » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Looks like a lovely family walk. Well done all! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Oscar » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:41 am

If you can find the Kingswells path up to Brimmond Hill it can be pretty interesting & rewarding.
Oscar
Backpacker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland