walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Afternoon quickie on the summer solstice

Afternoon quickie on the summer solstice

Postby garyoppolis » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:38 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 21/06/2014

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my second walk report, and the second hill I've taken two attempts at. Chabhair, one wet and horrible day last October, was simply depressing so we binned it. Some time later, after a dry spell, I decided to have another crack at it.

Although I was working on Saturday, the good weather and the long hours of daylight were an opportunity that couldn't be missed. Picked up from Glasgow around 1420 we were up the A82, parked at the campsite and ready to go for 1550.

The steep path straight up from behind the campsite isn't anything too strenuous, although the first stile is in a perilous state of disrepair. Upon reaching the end of the access road the path which follows the burn is obvious, however, if you're concerned with making good time, a quad bike path leads off to the left of this, cutting the corner created by the bend of the burn. The going over this path seems pretty similar to that which handrails the burn but avoids some awkward stream crossings.

The run of good weather in the days leading up to this walk meant that the bulk of the path was pretty dry; if you're attempting this after any kind of rain though, the whole route is a morass until you get to the ridge.

In good visibility the path up to the ridge is a visible scar. Breaking track as soon as this comes into view seems like the easiest approach. The ridge path itself is well founded and easy to follow and leads to an unmistakable summit cairn. The lumpy terrain offers some pretty spectacularly framed views:

The views from the top are excellent and, having done the Arrochars and the other Crianlarich hills first, really linked up the whole area for me. The high rises of Glasgow were visible through Strathblane to the south, as were the wind turbines on the Fintry hills. What looked like a chimney was visible in the direction of Sterling/Grangemouth although the haze was too bad to place it in context. Whenever I have a vantage point like this I'm amazed by just how small a place Scotland actually is.

The weather was excellent all the way, and the return by the same route was simple.

Here's some photos:

garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Afternoon quickie on the summer solstice

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 pm

The long days make such a difference, as you said. Your pictures are super - the late afternoon light gives them a depth not seen in the middle of the day.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland