walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Revisiting Cnicht

Revisiting Cnicht

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cnicht

Date walked: 08/04/2010

Time taken: 4

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 620m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hewitts: Cnicht
Date walked: 08/04/2010
Time taken: 4 hours
Distance: 7km
Ascent: 620m
Weather: Warm, sunny, some drifting cloud

I've already posted my favourite walk from my most recent visit to Wales (Crib Goch and Snowdon from Nant Peris), but a few days beforehand, I joined my dad and his mate Tony on Cnicht. The weather was consistently good over the entire period I was down, with this day being no exception. A small amount of drifting cloud, but that just added to the atmosphere.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We left the carpark in Croesor just after 11.15, following the old road over to Nantmor. Breaking off this for the usual route up the SW ridge, we continued upwards.

Cnicht from Croesor path:

Middle section of SW ridge:

Yr Arddu, Moel Hebog and Nantlle Ridge from SW ridge:

Moelwyn Mawr:

Cloud was obscuring the summit at this point but we were still in the sunshine. We passed a couple of people just before the short scrambly section, and were on the summit for lunch about an hour and a quarter after leaving the car.

Back down SW ridge and Glaslyn estuary:

Summit ridge of Cnicht, Moel Siabod in distance:

A few others were around, and the cloud cleared just in time for some views. The other two were content to saunter back down the same route, but I fancied some kind of circuit. Initially thought of going round the head of Cwm Croesor and including Moelwyn Mawr, but decided this would take to long. Instead, I opted to descend the top part of the SW ridge and then use the NW ridge to head for Llynnau Cerrig-y-Myllt. Passed a large group of school childeren preparing to ascend the scrambly bit, so re-routed a bit to avoid them. Then passed a family (including two very young childeren) happily sliding up the scree to the notch on the SW ridge! Not a route I would choose to do with young kids, but they appeared to be having a great time.

Scree slope connecting NW and SW ridges:

The route up from Bwlch y Battel to the lakes isn't that obvious, so as usual I crashed around heathery hillsides until I got to them. This really is a great spot - one of the more off the beaten track parts of Northern Snowdonia. Decided to take in the 463m high point behind the lakes too, as I've never been over this before. Rough going over heather and small crags, but good fun. This part of the route probably provided better views than those from the summit of Cnicht.

West-most of Llynnau Cerrig-y-myllt:

Snowdon and Lliwedd across West-most lake:

Craig Cwm Silyn:

Back to Cnicht and Moelwyns:

Cnicht and East-most lake:

Cnicht and Moelwyns from un-named summit:

Llyn yr Arddu and Glaslyn estuary:

I aimed for the quarry workings near the main Cnicht path, and after a bit of bog and heather, found my dad and Tony having a second lunch stop! We all ambled back down to the carpark, where the temperature had crept up a fair bit. Another good day in the hills.

Last view of Cnicht:
Last edited by malky_c on Wed May 16, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Revisiting Cnicht

Postby monty » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Lovely pictures Malky. Just look like a mini version of Scotland :D (I mean that in the nicest possible way of course)
monty

Re: Revisiting Cnicht

Postby mountain coward » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:55 am

Haven't been up Cnicht for quite some time! Must drag Richard up it - he'll really enjoy it actually - he certainly liked the Moelwyns... A great area for walking... just wish my Dad was still young enough to be up to such a walk (although he does still come up the moors with me sometimes).

I was once on the Ffestiniog railway on a return trip. All the way out I gazed at the Moelwyns... on the way back I abandoned family and friends at Tanygrisiau and jumped off the train to walk back to Ffestiniog over them! :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland