walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I have a cunning plan part 1

I have a cunning plan part 1

Postby DougieB » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhor, Sgurr na Ciche, Sgurr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Date walked: 15/06/2014

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hatched a cunning plan to finish my round off if the weather and my fitness held out.

I drove up from Lincoln on Saturday 14th June and pitched my tent on a knoll 200m before the small car park at the end of Loch Arkaig.
Camp site.JPG
Camp site at the end of Loch Arkaig

The road along the Loch was in poor condition in places due to the timber operations, I hope the repair it when they are finished.
Following a fitful sleep I set off at 0530 on Sunday and headed off along Glen Dessarry on the private road past Glendessarry House as far as Upper Glendessarry before continuing on the footpath which was very wet in places. As there was low cloud I decided to continue along the path rather than climb up into the clag hoping that it would lift by the time I got to the summits. Eventually I left the footpath and started to climb into Coire na Ciche heading for the steep gully which leads to Feadan na Ciche.
Eigg.JPG
Loch Nevis

The gully was easy to ascend but would have been much trickier to descend due to wet slippy rocks.
From the bealach it was a short steep climb to the summit of Sgurr na Ciche, unfortunately the low cloud and mist had not lifted by the time I got there but I did catch the occasional glimpse westward to the sea.
I retraced my steps back to Feadan na Ciche and had a short break for a snack. The climb to the second Munro of the day – Garbh Choich Mhor was very straightforward and at last the cloud lifted to reveal some stunning views.
S na C.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche

The ridge walk from Garbh Choich Mhor to Sgurr nan Coireachan involves a lot of ups and downs and took much longer than anticipated. As a result by the time I got to Sgurr nan Coireachan I decided to call it a day and headed back down into Glen Dessarry and return to my tent rather than continue onto Sgurr Mor.
P1010793.JPG
Looking back along the ridge

Maybe my initial plan to climb all 4 on my first day in the hills for a long time was a little ambitious to say the least; they always look easier on the map. Sgurr Mor would have to wait until tomorrow.
3 down – 10 to go!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DougieB
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland