walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meldon Hill +

Meldon Hill +

Postby Broggy1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Knock Fell, Meldon Hill

Date walked: 28/06/2014

Time taken: 5

Distance: 26.3 km

Ascent: 913m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Dry conditions made it a good time to return to the North Pennines this weekend and with no car of my own, I opted to take the long route to Meldon Hill via High Cup Nick from Dufton (Meldon is more commonly climbed from Cow Green Reservoir).

After being dropped off in Dufton, the initial stretches of the route are always pleasant as you gain height quickly and easily along the Pennine Way to High Cup Nick. High Cup is the undoubted highlight of the North Pennines and worthy of a walk in it's own right but today I didn't linger around as I had my targets set on Meldon Hill some 3 miles further away along much pathless, rough ground.

P way.JPG
On the Pennine Way out of Dufton

High Cup.JPG
First look at High Cup

High Cup 2.JPG
By the side of High Cup (no time to linger today)

Leaving the Pennine Way after crossing the bridge over Maizebeck Scar, I was soon making my way in and out of peat hags before hitting a good area of firmer ground alongside Great Millside Sike.

After crossing the Sike it was then a totally pathless hike up to the shattered Trig Point on Meldon Hill - an unspectacular summit but benefiting from it's central position with good views towards the Eastern North Pennines, Mickle Fell in the South, the Cross Fell Massif in the North and High Cup Nick to the West.

Distant Meldon.JPG
Meldon Hill in the distance

On route to Meldon.JPG
On route to Meldon

Crosiing Beck.JPG
Crossing Maizebeck Scar

Pathless to Meldon.JPG
Pathless ascent up Meldon

Broken Trig.JPG
Shattered Trig point on Meldon Hill

Eastern North Pennines.JPG
Eastern North Pennines from Meldon Hill

Cowgreen.JPG
Cow Green Reservoir

Mickle and Little Fell from Meldon.JPG
Mickle and Little Fell from Meldon Hill

High Cup from Meldon.JPG
High Cup from Meldon Hill

Cross Fell Massif from Meldon.JPG
Cross Fell Massif from Meldon Hill

Time was on my side and as I hadn't encountered anything too wet just yet I opted to walk the pathless ridge (of sorts) over to Knock Fell (one I'd done before and much more easily ascended via the Pennine Way from Knock or Dufton).

The ground was certainly rougher during this part of the walk with many unrecorded ups and downs in and out of various hags but again the dry conditions helped and progress wasn't too bad.

Peat Bogs on route to Knock Fell.JPG
Peat Bogs on the Ridge to Knock Fell

Distant Great Rundale Tarn.JPG
Distant Great Rundale Tarn stands out amongst the wilderness

Great Dunn Fell.JPG
The Golf Ball of Great Dunn Fell is a good guide in clear weather as walking towards it leads you very near Knock Fell

Eventually I picked up a thin Vehicle Track that took me pretty much to the summit of Knock Fell.

Top of Knock Fell.JPG
Top of Knock Fell

I'd originally planned to take the Pennine Way back to Dufton but the fact I hadn't visited the summit of High Scald Fell to the South got the better of me and I decided to descend via there to the Threlkeld Side Mine Track which would give me an easy route back to Dufton and my lift.......

Cairn on High Scald Fell.JPG
One of many good cairns on High Scald Fell (but not the highest point)

Heading down mine path.JPG
Heading down Threlkeld Side with Dufton Pike ahead

Unfortunately though my lift never showed and after a quick pint in the Stag Arms I gave up the ghost and walked the two easy miles back to where I was staying in Long Marton.

A decent route, fascinating in it's early stages (High Cup) and final stages (Threlkeld Side) but rough and rather dull beyond there.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:92   Corbetts:15
Grahams:4   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:271
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland