walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Soggy Schiehallion

Soggy Schiehallion

Postby martin.h » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:58 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 28/06/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 731m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The original plan for to-day was the White Mounth Munro's but decided to have a steady day after doing the 7 munro's around Glen Shee the day before, a decision made easier to live with when the weather decided to ignore the forecasters and turn into a soggy claggy day.
The parking area at the Braes of Foss is a reasonable size with toilets and a £2 charge pay and display (which was'nt working to-day, lucky us).
The start of the walk is at the opposite end of the carpark from the entrance and is on a well maintained track. After 2km it starts heading uphill but still exellent, and this is how it is all the way to the start of the boulder field where it does become a bit vague in places.
It was at the boulderfield where we walked into the clag and not long after this the drizzle we set off in soon became the familiar rain, then heavy rain, then a chilly wind. We plodded on up the never ending boulder field, but the route was now easy to determine with the evidence of thousands of boots plain to see. There were plenty of other folk on their way up or down so even with the weather as it was it was a busy mountain.
When we arrived at the summit there were about eight other people up there and a kind lady offered to take a photo of Denise and I on the summit, to get us both on a summit photo together is rare so thanks kind lady,
DSC00029.JPG
Denise on the summit

DSC00031.JPG
Who's that strange looking bloke?

when she handed my camera back she offered to take somebody elses photo with their camera, there's money to be made there, mmm. There is a distinct lack of photo's on this report, I confess, but I did'nt want to fry another camera due to the rain.
After a short while we set off back down and during our descent we were suprised to see how many people were on their way up, braving the elements.some of whom were not really suitably kitted out for the weather, lets hope they were o.k.
The clag did'nt really lift off the summits but it stopped raining briefly as we neared the car park. When we started de booting the midges decided to add to the mix and made a nuisence of themselves, don't they ever get fed up of us humans.
This was a quick mountain but it saved us from doing nothing because of the weather, we will do this one again in better weather to get the views which, I'm told, are excellent. We did'nt spend enough time on this mountain to do it justice, next time we'll spend an afternoon over it.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland