walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

On the way to Island Corbetts - Am Bathach

On the way to Island Corbetts - Am Bathach

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Am Bathach

Date walked: 21/06/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 655m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off on my Island Corbett trip and while passing through Cluanie, decided to do Am Bathach as a warm-up, as the first choice coastal hills were taking the clag which hadn't reached this far inland.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked up beside a tatty old car with a door bold tacked on to the petrol cap cover, to keep it from flapping around.
Headed off up the path starting from the old rusty gate. It was a relief to be on a dry-ish path instead of leg tugging heather,moss & bracken.
The first top was soon reached, with the clag dusting A'Craileag and Sgurr an Fhuarail on either side.
A nice wander over the ridge got me to the top.
20140621_134657R.jpg

Old friend Ciste Dubh seemed quite close today.
20140621_140621R.jpg

20140621_142256R.jpg

The views to the south cluanie ridge were superb.
20140621_142608R.jpg

The alpine flowers seemed to be rushing to make the best of the warm weather and were out in full flower.

20140621_145754R.jpg

I abandoned a fleeting notion to descend to the Affric path after viewing the steep wet grass and headed back over
the ridge, the way I'd come up.

Soon I was heading to the Broadford Hostel, to start my island adventure in earnest !
Gordon Ballantyne
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland