walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kintail Sisters, Brothers, Fhada and a Mutha of a day!

Kintail Sisters, Brothers, Fhada and a Mutha of a day!

by electricfly » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Route description: Five Sisters of Kintail

Munros included on this walk: A' Ghlas-bheinn, Aonach Meadhoin, Beinn Fhada, Ciste Dhubh, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe

Date walked: 29/06/2014

Time taken: 16 hours

Distance: 45 km

Ascent: 4500m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Kintail Sisters, Brothers, Fhada and a Mutha of a day!

Postby sonic » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:11 pm

This is a mega route and a brilliant report the photos are cracking too, liked the gear guide at the start have often thought of buying a decent pair of trail shoes as i find wearing boots hard work and quite heavy. Have just bought a spaniel and love seeing photos of your dogs they do look like they enjoy the hills
Quick question you refer to your trousers in the gear guide as pants which sounds very American
Sonic
sonic
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:2

Postby electricfly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks Sonic. :D

Yes, I do like the advantage of lightweight trail shoes, they can have their drawbacks though. On the later stages of the Kintail circuit I found the going very rocky and unstable in areas. Boots with a decent rand would have been more suitable for that section. I did the circuit of 12 Mullardoch munros recently and opted for boots instead of trail shoes. Difficult to decide if that was the right choice as my feet got soaked anyway in the boggy transistion between the Mullardoch side and the Affric side. :roll:

Spaniels are perfect for hillwalking, they can get a little tired by the end of a hike, but I like to think it's a happy tired. They're usually sound asleep for the entire drive home. :wink:

Lastly, I'm not American, just using the "official" product description as defined by the manufacturer, Craghoppers who favour calling them stretch pants rather than fitted trousers. Seems quite a few of the main brands do the same, especially if they want them to appear more technically designed. However, I will never call football, soccer! :lol:

Cheers, EF.
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:48 pm

electricfly wrote:Thanks Sonic. :D

Yes, I do like the advantage of lightweight trail shoes, they can have their drawbacks though. On the later stages of the Kintail circuit I found the going very rocky and unstable in areas. Boots with a decent rand would have been more suitable for that section. I did the circuit of 12 Mullardoch munros recently and opted for boots instead of trail shoes. Difficult to decide if that was the right choice as my feet got soaked anyway in the boggy transistion between the Mullardoch side and the Affric side. :roll:

Spaniels are perfect for hillwalking, they can get a little tired by the end of a hike, but I like to think it's a happy tired. They're usually sound asleep for the entire drive home. :wink:

Lastly, I'm not American, just using the "official" product description as defined by the manufacturer, Craghoppers who favour calling them stretch pants rather than fitted trousers. Seems quite a few of the main brands do the same, especially if they want them to appear more technically designed. However, I will never call football, soccer! :lol:

Cheers, EF.

So you did take up the Mullardoch challenge!!! Well done :clap: - it was certainly the toughest walk I've done in a day by a fair margin! Did you have good weather? I certainly hope so - it's a truly wonderful "wild walk". At this time of year I guess you might have been accompanied by the beasties.......

Alter Knacker
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby electricfly » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:08 pm

We opted to break up the Mullardoch round into two halves, Alteknacker.

I had Shona to help carry tent etc. plus two extra spaniels. Weather was dry but cloudy for the 4 Mullardoch summits, but brightened up on the Affric peaks.

We camped just below the summit of Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan and woke to a beautiful Glen Affric inversion. Second six munros were bagged in sunshine, which made for a tough but rewarding day. :D

The beasties were only really a nuisance at the lower level sections.
electricfly

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 am

electricfly wrote:We opted to break up the Mullardoch round into two halves, Alteknacker.

I had Shona to help carry tent etc. plus two extra spaniels. Weather was dry but cloudy for the 4 Mullardoch summits, but brightened up on the Affric peaks.

We camped just below the summit of Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan and woke to a beautiful Glen Affric inversion. Second six munros were bagged in sunshine, which made for a tough but rewarding day. :D

The beasties were only really a nuisance at the lower level sections.

Yes, I must admit, I quite regretted having gone for such a long one in a single day, because you know you just have to keep pushing on, without time to really stop and enjoy the views; and they were quite unbelievable on the day I did it: every munro for 30 miles visible, including the Cuillins and Torridons; and an amazing cloud inversion that others who were out on the same day captured in their reports. I was going to do it over a couple of days with my son this year, but his moving house intervened :(

Glad you seem to have had a bit more time to enjoy it; and a camp close to SnC would be brilliant. I think that's pretty well where I'd have aimed for if we'd made the expedition.

Will there be a report....???

AK
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby electricfly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Umm, not sure AK, my ratio is one report per year. :lol:

I'll probably get something typed up once I've sorted through the heap of photos. :crazy:
electricfly

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:13 pm

electricfly wrote:Umm, not sure AK, my ratio is one report per year. :lol:

I'll probably get something typed up once I've sorted through the heap of photos. :crazy:

Do it! One of the reasons I write up reports is reliving the experience, and I'm sure you had a great experience... :)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby SeanKelly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:25 pm

A truely epic round of some marvelous mountains. I bet your dogs were knackered after that day out as Springers usually cover about 3 times the amount of ground we cover. Such an outing is way beyond my elderly dogs now (also 2 springers). You are right about that steep descent back to Morvich!
SeanKelly
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland