walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Mountain top wild camp high in Glencoe

A Mountain top wild camp high in Glencoe

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:30 am

Route description: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Lighiche

Date walked: 29/06/2014

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glencoe : Wild camping on a Mountain top above Glencoe….

Almost a year ago I decided on a summer solstice wild camp in Glencoe. This was one of my first wild camps with my new SCARP tent and the location was stunning. I picked the Corbett high above the Kinghouse Hotel and had stunning view over to the Buachaille for the sunset and sunrise.

A year later and a few more wild camps under my belt I returned to Glencoe for a midsummer adventure.

This time I was at the other end of Glencoe and heading for a Corbett I hadn’t been up before. Meall Lighiche sits a little back from the road at the west end of the Glen and is often combined with an ascent of the Munro Sgurr na-h Ulaidh. I was only planning on the Corbett though and eventually reached the car park around 17.30pm. Only one car remained from the day trippers and I soon met the owner not far from the road. The forecast was good with cloud forecast to break up as the evening progressed. My only concern was the dreaded midge!!! One reason I often prefer the mountain tops is the presence of a breeze- the added effort to carry the gear up out weighs the fangs of the midge !!

A wee film:

I followed the track up past the farm (with a small detour to honour the locals request to not pass through their gardens- reasonable me thinks) and to the foot of the ridge which leads to Creag Bhan. The crossing of the burn was easy in the dry conditions but may be a little tricky if in spate. The path seemed to peter out so I took a line and aimed for the col between two crags. The air was still here in the lee of the shoulder so I didn’t give the beasties a chance to land and kept going at a steady pace.  After a steep pathless ascent I reached the col and the views opened up with views to the Ballachuillish Munros. I took a little rest here before heading up some more steep ground.

ImageCotton by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

A little further and the gradient eased and the views expanded. The bulk of Sgurr na-h Ulaidh dominates the foreground as I reached the summit of Creag Bhan and looked grand. The final ridge to the summit swung westwards, and was now providing some very enjoyable and easy walking and I was standing on the summit before 20.00. The sun was shining with blue skies to the west and some dark clouds remaining further east.

The breeze was doing a grand job of keeping the midge at bay and I soon found a cracking pitch about 20m east from the summit. Tent up, I turned my attention to dinner and soon had my chilli on my fork .

Imagescarp1 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageSCARP1 high on hill by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

The thing I like best about wild camping is the time I get to amble about on the summit. I rarely spend 3 or 4 hours on a summit when walking during the day – always thinking about getting home etc etc brownie points to be kept! However there is something special about lingering and watching the sun set.

Imagepanorama by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagetakingin the views by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageBen Nevis beneath by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageSgurr na H laidh by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageSUNSET bALLACHULISH by mountains MJVW, on Flickr[img]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ocFr1p]Image
Beutiful evening light by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Hours can be spent just taking it all in, doing nothing – a few photo snaps here and there, the time just wallows away  This again happened and I eventually retired to my tent. My excellent ground mat had punctured as I was blowing it up which was rather disappointing – I even tried some plasters to stem the leak but eventually it lost all air  Time for a puncture kit me thinks…… Anyway I managed some sleep and the breeze that had been present the evening before had petered out by the wee small hours. The light never disappeared so it never really got dark, something that perhaps caused me to wake at 03.30 AM!! I felt I could get up so I did and quickly got the water boiling for some coffee. I had to drop a good distance off the summit to find water the night before so that extra effort and the early hour made the coffee taste that much better!!

Imageglencoe Tea by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

There was not a breath of wind as I took the coffee to the summit and waited on Sunrise… I thought the silence and lack of wind would bring the little blighters out to feast on me, but it seemed it was even too early for them!! I sat watching the pink glow over Mull and the Atlantic and a pink hue from the sun rising in the east.

Imagepre dawn by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Sunrise done, I then packed away the tent and was on my way for about 0500. A steep descent back to the car and then a couple of hours driving saw me back in the rat race for 0800AM 

Another great wild camp though….
wilkiemurray

Re: A Mountain top wild camp high in Glencoe

Postby shish » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:57 am

That was a beautiful weekend up there. Lovely way to spend an evening :clap:
Bad luck with your mat. I hope it's mendable.
shish
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Blue78 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:52 am

Great video enjoyed watching it.
Blue78
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby scoob999 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:20 am

Another belter WM :clap:

I was just thinking i'd no seen you post for a while too, Keep them coming :D
Love the sunset pics as well 8)
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Gle mhath a bhalaich :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Belter's of photograph's , you cannot beat high camp with sun tried twice this Summer third time lucky .... I hope :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Some great pictures and what a lovely evening...I just made a mental note to take my repair kit next time I head out :o
Reading your report just made me realize how easy it would be to get a leak!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:50 pm

Fantastic :clap:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby xslawekx » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:50 am

So it was you I met walking out from the glen so early in the morning.. :)

. The light never disappeared so it never really got dark, something that perhaps caused me to wake at 03.30 AM!!

Same here :) Was camping out in Glen Etive that night, and woke up at 3:10 am. At least that early in the morning the midges seemed to be somewhat less determined.. :lol:

Some nice photos there and great effort, man :clap:
xslawekx

Munros:282   Corbetts:211
Fionas:169   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:335   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   Islands:13

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:43 pm

shish wrote:That was a beautiful weekend up there. Lovely way to spend an evening :clap:
Bad luck with your mat. I hope it's mendable.

Thanks Shish, was a cracking wee trip.

Mat now mended (I hope!!!)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:43 pm

Blue78 wrote:Great video enjoyed watching it.

Thanks Blue:)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:45 pm

scoob999 wrote:Another belter WM :clap:

I was just thinking i'd no seen you post for a while too, Keep them coming :D
Love the sunset pics as well 8)

Thanks Scoob - yeah been busy busy with pother things so not been able to post as much recently :( However some holidays on the horizon so hopefully get to play catch up soon :D

been keeping progress on your vids too- well done on the compleation :) :clap: :clap: :clap:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Gle mhath a bhalaich :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks (I think :))

Belter's of photograph's , you cannot beat high camp with sun tried twice this Summer third time lucky .... I hope :wink:[/quote]

Good luck hope you get it third time:)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Some great pictures and what a lovely evening...I just made a mental note to take my repair kit next time I head out :o
Reading your report just made me realize how easy it would be to get a leak!

Indeed I have just bought an extra one!! Hole now fixed. Not sure what ripped the ground mat but rip it did and the compead plaster did exactly what it said on the tin - permeable to let the blister breath (or let air out o the patchwork repair!! :lol:

Repair kit well worth it :shock:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:53 pm

dooterbang wrote:Fantastic :clap:

Thank you dooterbang
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:54 pm

xslawekx wrote:So it was you I met walking out from the glen so early in the morning.. :)

. The light never disappeared so it never really got dark, something that perhaps caused me to wake at 03.30 AM!!

Same here :) Was camping out in Glen Etive that night, and woke up at 3:10 am. At least that early in the morning the midges seemed to be somewhat less determined.. :lol:

Some nice photos there and great effort, man :clap:

I did think you must have been up early to start the walk before 6!! Looked like the weather was good the following day too - hope you had a good round :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland