walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ainshval,Ruinsival - Rum

Ainshval,Ruinsival - Rum

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ainshval

Date walked: 26/06/2014

Time taken: 8.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last time I was in Rum was 1962. ( Am I that old ? ). We did a bit of rock climbing on Askival and ringed some Manx Shearwaters on Hallival then, so Ainshval was the target for this trip.Disembarked from the ferry at the new pier mit bike. ( much more civlised than having to loup out of a side door of the ferry onto the conservancy boat in the middle of Loch Scresort).

20140624_184857RR.jpg
Arriving at Loch Scresort - Rum

Cycled round to the hostel, which seemed like offshore accommodation modules clad in wood camouflage. On the way to the hostel, I had to squeeze past a truck dumping metalling in front of the new 20-bed bunkhouse nearing completion by the campsite, to replace the hostel. A TV crew were in residence making followup pieces to the autumn watch series showing that the deer fawns were being born earlier due to "climate change".
They were up at the crack o dawn and didn't return till late to get the required shots - efficent use of our licence fees !
Later that evening a guy walked in who I'd worked with many moons ago, so we had a good news before he headed off to the research hut up in Coire nan Grunnd on Hallival, to study the effect (If any) of rats on the breeding of the Manx Sheerwaters.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next day I set off towards Harris on my bike in glorious weather. Left my bike at the highest part of the Harris track, trying to anticipate my knackered state at the end of the day. Walking down the track to Harris, passed the TV crew setting up to film a hind and fawn grazing by track.
At Harris was the Rum ponies in a herd grazing until I disturbed them.

20140626_085259R.jpg
Bullough Mausoleum & Rum Ponies

20140626_085907R.jpg
Harris Beach

Headed off by the beach for the bridge over the Abhain Rangail and the faint track that goes below Loch Fiachanais round to Papadil (presumably). Being in the lee of Ruinsival, what breeze there was, wasn't reaching this area, so I had to keep moving to keep ahead of the midgies. It seemed that this path isn't used too much as the spiders were spinning webs across the parts of the path which had sides. Seemed a shame to destroy such hard work, so I tried to bypass all these wonderful creations. What a relief to get to the exposed rib at the end of Ruinsval and a wee breeze, where I headed up to the top of Ruinsival.

20140626_115150R.jpg
Trollaval & Ainshval from Leac a' Chaisteil

Now I could see all the yachts plootering between the islands of Eigg, Muck, Rum & Canna.
There was a wee dip before the ridge of Leac a' Chaisteil brought me to the un-named 759m top.
The views were absolutely stunning - I'd forgotten how majestic Askival was - and rugged, like any Skye Cuillin top !

20140626_130617.jpg
Summit o Ainshval

20140626_122054R.jpg
Ainshval top, Hallival & Askival

I'd always hankered to do Sgurr nan Gillian, as it was the only gaelic named top, however a few clouds had formed near the island so I headed off down the the ridge towards Ainshval, the primary objective.

20140626_130726R.jpg
The Skye Cuillin, Hallival & Askival from the top of Ainshval

The pull up to Ainshval was short and fairly painless for an old buddy and at the top I soaked up the atmosphere, whilst watching a tourist boat pop into Dibidil bay and hover around.

A few pics on the top, then back to the bealach for a piece.

20140626_130928R.jpg
Rum Skoooor nan Geeelian

The descent into the corrie was highlighted by a sighting of a pair of feral goats.
Loch Fiachanais was skirted to the N, as I'd spotted and old wall running up from Abhainn Rangail to a bend in the homeward track which would shorten the trip back a wee bit, seeing as the ground was drier than it's usual soggy state, which turned out to be nae bad.
Five young stags in velvet were disturbed just near the loch & headed off towards the beach.

A wee walk up the track found my bike, still padlocked to an old iron fencepost ( who would steal it on Rum - eh ?). Whilst moving the bike round to face the right direction, I fell over with the bike on top of me. Feeling really stupid, I collected my spilt GPS & sweeties and with a furtive glower around to see if anyone had seen me ( in the middle of nowhere ! ), shot off down the track to Kinloch on the bike.

What a fantastic day - not many of them in a pound on the west coast islands !
The Rum experience was really enhanced by the people I met, from the community hall cafe & shop folks in their "modern" attire, giving a distinct buzz on the Island, to the traditional "parahandy" tending all sorts of decaying mechanical bits at he end of the old jetty and the newly appointed SNH warden - full of enthusiasm for her new job!

20140627_141713R.jpg
Kinloch Castle - Built 1901

Whilst waiting for the ferry to arrive the following afternoon I visited the otter hide, but didnae see any otters - only the resident Heron and a couple o Hoodies poking around in the seaweed.
As I boarded the ferry, I couldn't help feeling that I'd be back for Trollaval - a Graham !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: Ainshval,Ruinsival - Rum

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:55 pm

looks great . Hope to get out there this summer :D cheers for sharing your piccies and experience
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby lochlaggan » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:20 pm

Hi I've just returned from my third attempt on Ainshval and this time from the Sandy Corrie that it looks like you went up or down. I got to about 610m in thick cloud and at the low point it got rather steep which wasn't for my partner! It looks steep on the map but well within even my limited abilities, how was it for you?

With less than 20 Corbetts to go and having turned back coming from the South, North and the East a non starter I expected the West to be easier but it wasn't to be.

Any advice would be really welcomed.

Thanks

Grant
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby lochlaggan » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:21 pm

Hi I've just returned from my third attempt on Ainshval and this time from the Sandy Corrie that it looks like you went up or down. I got to about 610m in thick cloud and at the low point it got rather steep which wasn't for my partner! It looks steep on the map but well within even my limited abilities, how was it for you?

With less than 20 Corbetts to go and having turned back coming from the South, North and the East a non starter I expected the West to be easier but it wasn't to be.

Any advice would be really welcomed.

Thanks

Grant
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri May 27, 2022 10:15 am

Hi Grant, sorry for the late reply......just got the notification.

The first thing is, as you can see from the photos I picked a sunny day. Everything is easy on a sunny day !

I went up Ruinsval, following the coastal path initially, then struck up mixed grass and craggy slopes to the top.
Then up the Leac a Chaisteal ridge ( fairly easy going ) to the spot at 759m, then along the ridge to
Ainshval. A bit rocky on the descent to the bealach above Sandy Corries, but nothing desperate. The walk up to the top of Ainshval is straight forward.
I returned to the bealach, then down Sandy Corrie. A bit steep at the top but can be picked down if your careful. No worse than
than any west coast chossy gully. That's where I spotted some feral goats who trundled some rocks down at me as they moved around !

Hope this is useful for your next visit. If you can bag some good weather, it's spectacular.
Best of luck with the rest of your Corbetts - 'fraid I'm stalled on the Corbett front at the moment ( been diverted on to the local Tumps)

Cheers Gordon
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Postby lochlaggan » Sun May 29, 2022 11:26 pm

Hello Gordon

Thanks for your advice and I returned yesterday in what was probably the best weather day Rum has seen all May.

What a difference to the low cloud, winds or ice that stalled my assent of this wonderful mountain. I had the place to myself and just perfect views from the top.

Rum is a place I will regularly revisit as the rugged landscape has a strange peaceful feeling.

Your thoughts and spirit to do things differently inspired me.

Cheers

Grant
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland