walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Jura - Beinn an Oir

Jura - Beinn an Oir

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Route description: Beinn an Oir, via Loch an t-Siob

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Òir

Date walked: 30/06/2014

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 785m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove down to Kennacraig from the salubrious Hostel in Oban. I was to meet Mike Twigg, who was accompanying me on Jura & Arran.
Mike took his car across on the ferries, while I took my trusty bike. However, Mike took my bags up to Craighouse and on to my B&B while he camped on the hotel site at Craighouse for free as the shower block wasn't finished yet.
We had our evening meal in the hotel and then headed off to my B&B at Knockrome, which is very handy for the start of the path to Beinn an Oir.

20140629_160900R.jpg
Mike setting up camp at Craighouse - Jura

20140629_185947R.jpg
Basic Tea at the hotel at Craighouse

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next morning, Mike picked me up and we headed up the path with two others who had decided to join us (Neil & Rod - Neil was a Manchester writer who was working at Lamlash on Arran and Rod was his uncle from Alford ).

20140630_090555R.jpg
Beinn an Oir from B&B at Knockrome

The bottom part of the path from the bridge over the River Corran was fairly boggy - even after all this dry weather, so would be a bit of a splash in normal weather. But today it was epic weather - wall to wall sunshine and just enough breeze to keep the worst of the midgies down, but not the clegs.
As we passed Loch an t-Siob, Neil spotted what looked like a cormorant or shag and a gannet, which seemed a bit strange. I've never seen a gannet on a hill loch before, but then who am I to question those who know ?
Mike and I turned off the path, up towards the bealach between BaO and Beinn Shiantaidh. After a short way we disturbed this adder sunning itself in the grass. By the time I'd got my phone ready for a pic - it had melted into the hillside !
We picked up the path in the bealach that led to the start of the ramp across the E face of Beinn an Oir. Soon we were on the N ridge which leads up to the summit plateau, passing a couple of windbreaks in a dip before the summit. Have subsequently discovered that these shelter remains were Colbys - a residue from the OS triangulation project ! ( See SMC Journal 2013 article by Graeme Little )
At the top we were treated to magnificent views around the islands from Mull to N. Ireland

20140630_143031.jpg
Beinn Shiantaidh from the Beinn an Oir "ramp".

20140630_124949R.jpg
Neil & Mike on the summit of Beinn an Oir

20140630_125013R.jpg
Rod admiring the view - Beinn Chaolais behind

A Norwegian lady appeared at the cairn who was touring the islands by yacht with her husband, joined us to admire the scenery. We were all impressed by her flawless english diction and felt quite inadequate as we exhausted our Norgwegian vocabulary with the greeting of " Har du det bra".

None of us wanted to return, so we basked in the afternoon sun soaking in the views until I had to get moving lest I seize up altogether !
We scuttled back to the car to head for a pint or three at the pub to "rehydrate". ( a technical term used by athletes ), and watch the footie.

20140629_163430R.jpg
Distillery & Hotel at Craighouse

What a day - ab fab !
I biked back to Feolin next day to catch the ferry to Port Askaig on Islay for the onward ferry to Kennacraig while Mike took his bike for a hurl down to the beach at Bowmore on Islay (at least that's what he SAID he did ! )

20140701_142044 (640x480).jpg
The Port Askaig to Feolin ferry

20140701_142154 (640x480).jpg
The Port Askaig Lifeboat

20140701_142443 (640x480).jpg
The 18thc George III Defence cannon @ Port Askaig

20140701_145053.jpg
Getting the Lobsters ready for the restaurants at Port Askaig

On reaching Kennacraig, I picked up the car and headed down to catch the ferry to Arran and camp at Lochranza.
I'll be back ..............!
Last edited by Gordon Ballantyne on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: Jura - Beinn an Oir

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:29 pm

Enjoying reading your reports on the Island hills. I was on Islay on the same day you did this. It sure was a good day. :D Looking forward to visiting Jura to climb these hills ...and sample that seafood! :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland