walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera


Postby Musicfinder » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Date walked: 07/07/2014

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At the end of our week on Skye we ventured to Uig for the ferry to Tarbert to explore the Outer Hebrides, specifically the Isles of Harris and Lewis to spend the first four days of June, 2014. We stayed in a blackhouse, fortunately completely updated, in Carloway to be somewhat centrally located for our stay. One day began overcast and rainy on Lewis so we decided to head south to drive out of the rain and tour southern Harris. Instead of an improvement, we drove into pea soup low clouds and intermittent rain, but we did get periodic sun breaking through to brighten our spirits. No hills were attempted during our visit, instead we spent our time visiting beaches, standing stones and walking the western coastline of Lewis. We did venture east to Stornoway and north to the Tolsta area beaches for most of a day.

We didn’t do specific walks but rather chose spots that caught our interest and head out with our maps and compass to follow the coastline. I am posting a few of my photographs from our days to provide a glimpse of what we saw. I hope you enjoy them . . .

After 4 days here are some general observations I have come away with:
•Four days does NOT allow enough time to properly explore Harris & Lewis.
•Drive a small car and be inventive in finding parking places
•Plan on it taking longer to drive somewhere and then add 20 minutes
•Fill your gas tank and make any purchases before or after Sunday
•Slow down, move at island time, relax and enjoy the solitude
•Talk to the local people to learn more of the culture and suggestions of places to discover
•Make plans for a much longer return visit in the future
Last edited by Musicfinder on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Musicfinder
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sep 14, 2010

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby Phil the Hill » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Excellent photos as ever.

We spent a week in the Uists earlier this year doing similar stuff and I would echo all your observations. As you say, plans need to be made for a longer trip to the Outer Hebrides. The beaches and the ever-changing light are just beautiful.
User avatar
Phil the Hill
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 338
Munros:261   Corbetts:26
Grahams:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:137
Wainwrights:58   Islands:8
Joined: Sep 22, 2010
Location: Wallington, Surrey

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Thank you for posting such wonderful photographs of such a beautiful area of Scotland. Love 05 The McLeod Stone, did not know it existed, where exactly is it?, 19 the Old schoolhouse and 22 The stone dwelling at Lochside Loch na Muilne. As you say, not sufficient time and highly recommend a cycling holiday with wild camping, we did it a few years ago, fabulous cycles go free in the ferries :D . Also you must visit Vatersay ,Barra and Berneray more beautiful and unspoilt beaches. :D :D
User avatar
The Rodmiester
Walker
 
Posts: 3389
Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Carnoustie

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Fantastic photos! Thank you so much for sharing. It has been on my bucket list for ages to head up there..hopefully soon! The tips are also great :clap: :clap:
User avatar
Mountainlove
Walker
 
Posts: 1223
Munros:54   Corbetts:24
Grahams:7   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:9
Joined: Feb 2, 2010
Location: North Ayrshire

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby inca » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Fabulous pictures of some of my favourite places. In particular, I love the Luskentyre, Callanish, Bernera and Bosta shots. Dalmore's a special place for me too. It's beautiful and my people -going back 4 generations- lie in the shifting sands of the old cemetery here. Thanks for sharing :)
User avatar
inca
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 309
Munros:223   Corbetts:69
Grahams:82   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:184   
Joined: Sep 21, 2012
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby Musicfinder » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:39 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Thank you for posting such wonderful photographs of such a beautiful area of Scotland. Love 05 The McLeod Stone, did not know it existed, where exactly is it?, 19 the Old schoolhouse and 22 The stone dwelling at Lochside Loch na Muilne. As you say, not sufficient time and highly recommend a cycling holiday with wild camping, we did it a few years ago, fabulous cycles go free in the ferries :D . Also you must visit Vatersay ,Barra and Berneray more beautiful and unspoilt beaches. :D :D



Glad to see you enjoyed the photos. Thank you for your suggestions last year while I was planning this trip. The McLeod Stone is to the right of Traigh lar, up the hill. It is below the top so it can't be seen from the A859.

I hope to make a longer visit to include Vatersay, Barra and Berneray next year.
Musicfinder
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sep 14, 2010

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Musicfinder wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Thank you for posting such wonderful photographs of such a beautiful area of Scotland. Love 05 The McLeod Stone, did not know it existed, where exactly is it?, 19 the Old schoolhouse and 22 The stone dwelling at Lochside Loch na Muilne. As you say, not sufficient time and highly recommend a cycling holiday with wild camping, we did it a few years ago, fabulous cycles go free in the ferries :D . Also you must visit Vatersay ,Barra and Berneray more beautiful and unspoilt beaches. :D :D



Glad to see you enjoyed the photos. Thank you for your suggestions last year while I was planning this trip. The McLeod Stone is to the right of Traigh lar, up the hill. It is below the top so it can't be seen from the A859.

I hope to make a longer visit to include Vatersay, Barra and Berneray next year.

You will not regret it I promise! :D I look forward to seening next years photographs :D . Thank you for the info on the McLeod Stone, there are some McLeod stones on Skye as well. :D
User avatar
The Rodmiester
Walker
 
Posts: 3389
Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Carnoustie

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Great photographs once again.
I spent 2 weeks a few years back staying just beside the main callanish stones and visiting them at all times of day, as well as several of the other callanish circles.
A special place. 2 weeks was just enough time to let it seep into you.
User avatar
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 1853
Munros:206   Corbetts:44
Grahams:75   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:281   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28
Joined: Aug 22, 2012
Location: Greenock

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby John Doh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm

I am a great fan of the Scottish Islands and these are some of the best photos I've seen of Lewis and Harris! Stunning!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
User avatar
John Doh
 
Posts: 236
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39
Joined: Aug 14, 2013
Location: Switzerland

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby Musicfinder » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:12 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:Excellent photos as ever.

We spent a week in the Uists earlier this year doing similar stuff and I would echo all your observations. As you say, plans need to be made for a longer trip to the Outer Hebrides. The beaches and the ever-changing light are just beautiful.


Thank you. Did you stay in one location in the Uists for your week and travel out from there?

Mountainlove wrote:Fantastic photos! Thank you so much for sharing. It has been on my bucket list for ages to head up there..hopefully soon! The tips are also great :clap: :clap:


Glad you enjoyed them. Hopefully you'll be able to check them off your bucket list in the near future. I'll watch for your walking report.

inca wrote:Fabulous pictures of some of my favourite places. In particular, I love the Luskentyre, Callanish, Bernera and Bosta shots. Dalmore's a special place for me too. It's beautiful and my people -going back 4 generations- lie in the shifting sands of the old cemetery here. Thanks for sharing :)


Thank you for your comments. The Dalmore cemetery is such a peaceful, beautiful location.

weaselmaster wrote:Great photographs once again.
I spent 2 weeks a few years back staying just beside the main callanish stones and visiting them at all times of day, as well as several of the other callanish circles.
A special place. 2 weeks was just enough time to let it seep into you.


Thanks. Two weeks does seem like a better period of time to visit. Now I have to convinvce Barb that we need to visit the Outer Hebrides for at least two weeks. I hope I am up to the challenge :lol: :lol:
Musicfinder
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sep 14, 2010

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby ceaser » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Fantastic , on my " to do list " as well :D
User avatar
ceaser
Walker
 
Posts: 404
Munros:272   Corbetts:28
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:4
Joined: Apr 18, 2012
Location: dunfermline

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Musicfinder wrote:
Phil the Hill wrote:Excellent photos as ever.

We spent a week in the Uists earlier this year doing similar stuff and I would echo all your observations. As you say, plans need to be made for a longer trip to the Outer Hebrides. The beaches and the ever-changing light are just beautiful.


Thank you. Did you stay in one location in the Uists for your week and travel out from there?


Flew to Benbecula, rented a car and stayed in a turf-roofed cottage on North Uist, from which we travelled to all the islands reachable without ferry crossings. I'll do a trip report one of these days when I've processed all the photos. I see others have recommended Berneray. The beach on the west coast is stunning. Great for shots of light reflecting off wet sand.
User avatar
Phil the Hill
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 338
Munros:261   Corbetts:26
Grahams:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:137
Wainwrights:58   Islands:8
Joined: Sep 22, 2010
Location: Wallington, Surrey

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby orion » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Excellent set of photos you have there :)
User avatar
orion
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Jan 28, 2008
Location: Glasgow

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby Musicfinder » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:49 pm

John Doh wrote:I am a great fan of the Scottish Islands and these are some of the best photos I've seen of Lewis and Harris! Stunning!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:


Thank you, your comments are much appreciated. I have been fascinated with Skye and now that I have visited Harris and Lewis my 'passion' has expanded to the Outer Hebrides too. :)

ceaser wrote:Fantastic , on my " to do list " as well :D


Thank you. You will not regret checking this off on your "to do list"!!
Musicfinder
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sep 14, 2010

Re: Four days on Harris & Lewis through the camera

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:11 am

Hi musicfinder - did you know you've switched off all your photos? I presume they've been made private?
User avatar
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 5300
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:115   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Joined: Jan 6, 2007
Location: Highland
Walk wish-list

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: enadlaha, exsar, IreneM, macpee, mmill, Sandos46, StevieS and 42 guests