walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall an Fhuarain (Alltnaharra)

Meall an Fhuarain (Alltnaharra)

Postby rob munbett » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:50 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall an Fhuarain (Alltnaharra)

Date walked: 06/07/2014

Time taken: 2 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was staying up at the Crask Inn for a few days with friends so after a long Sunday drive up I had a couple of hours to spare to stretch my legs. I drove past the Crask to park the car at NC536288 just by a bridge over the Vagastie.
P1020359.JPG
Meall an Fhuarain from the road just south of Vagastie
I set off up the hillside of wet long grass and bracken and soon saw a mound with a tall mast. This was not the hill, though, and I by-passed this to the left across the tussocky, boggy moorland, where there were occasional animal tracks to follow for short distances but it was more or less just plod through heading for the shoulder of the hill to the east of the summit.
P1020312.JPG
On the moorland heading towards the summit
I passed a small lochan and then headed a few hundred metres uphill to a second and wandered around all the highest points - just to make sure. The views North to Hope and Loyal were pretty good but heavy squally rain came quickly in and soon I was getting soaked.
P1020317_edited-1.jpg
On the summit looking North to Hope and Loyal
P1020313.JPG
The view over to Ben Klibreck from near the summit, the 'mast top' in the foreground
I decided to stay up higher on the descent and headed for the mast in the hope of finding a vehicle track of some sort to ease the way down. No joy, though. However, the descent was straightforward enough and soon I could see the road and the bridge and was back at the car in no time, where the cleggs were out in force and enjoying the feed as I got out of my wet things. All in all, not the most exciting of hills but well worth a couple of hours for the views of the more iconic mountains of the area.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Grahams:68   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland