walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The lower path at Ben Cleuch

The lower path at Ben Cleuch

Postby ancancha » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 11/07/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 644m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Cleuch 20140711.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd taken a look at this walk a few times as it is quite close by, but it always looked so tame on Google earth. The walker rating is high though!

Thursday afternoon was just getting hotter and sunnier and I was boiling sitting in the chair in front of the screen. Too late to make it to anything more adventurous, so off I went across the Kincardine Bridge and onto Tillicoultry.

I managed to park right up at the top of Upper Mill Street, a few metres from the start of the path, excellent! I wonder if I'm the only one, but it's interesting that even though the intention is to set off on a long and sometimes arduous walk a few hundred metres walked to the start if parking isn't nearby always seems a chore.

Anyway I met a walker coming down who said there had been landslips and rock falls on the path up through the gorge, and it was closed.

Ben Cleuch Lower Path Closed.jpg

Oh well, the walker said that it still joined up later on, so I set off up the path to the east side, it is the path on the right of this fork with the steps you want.

Ben Cleuch other path.jpg

It's not long before you get out of the trees and into the open again with the view back to Tillicoultry and up to the hills above which rise surprisingly steeply.
I was hoping to get a good view of the quarry and still got a pretty good idea from this vantage point.

Ben Cleuch quarry from east path.jpg

On up for a short while and then the ground levels out before descending down into the junction of the two gorges.

Ben Cleuch junction of the gorges.jpg

I guess this is where the original path would come out if it were open

Ben Cleuch Lower Path Closed 1.jpg

before crossing this new and modern bridge.

Ben Cleuch new bridge.jpg

Up the other side and there are a couple of clambers over rocky steep bits, I wouldn’t even really class them as scrambles, before you are back on steep although very easy going mountain path towards this big landmark boulder in the middle of the path.

Ben Cleuch landmark boulder.jpg

There are nice views back down to Tillicoultry from the boulder.

Ben Cleuch back down to tillicoultry from the boulder.jpg

On up to the Law...

Ben Cleuch the law.jpg

The landscape eastward is remarkably green and consistent for the most part.

Ben Cleuch lush green.jpg

After the Law the path dips for a few tens of metres before rising again to the corner and then a very gentle climb up to the summit where there is a trig point in a stone circle and one of those point of interest indicators.

It was still hot and sunny with beautiful hazy views all around and especially westward.

Ben Cleuch view west.jpg

Had a bite to eat at the top which is my habit and headed back down the other side wondering how this was going to turn out as the path was closed.
Met up with the locals, but they either didn’t have any info or weren’t prepared to share it with me.

Ben Cleuch locals.jpg

The river Fourth certainly has a meander around before turning into the Firth and the valley is pretty flat when viewed from up here.

Ben Cleuch meandering fourth.jpg

On down and the path veers off to the left at the big pile of stones. It’s easily missed, I would say this as I missed it and carried on down the wider track for a few tens of metres before doubling back.

Ben Cleuch pile of stones to mark the path.jpg

The correct path also doubles back on itself before zig zaging down into the gorge,

Ben Cleuch zig zag.jpg

And this photo from the other side on the way up.

Ben Cleuch zig zag from the other side.jpg

Down to the bridge and this very deep coloured Copper Beech tree. You can just see the steps on the left which I assume lead up to where the path comes out at the modern bridge . I didn't check it out, so don't take my word for it!

Ben Cleuch copper beech.jpg

The barrier tape had been torn aside, so I decided to chance it and made my way warily across.

Ben Cleuch bridge back across.jpg

There was evidence of the destruction all the way down with bashed hand rails, fallen trees, some of which were lying across the bridges, I had to duck under them a couple of times; smashed paving and some impressive though concerning rock falls.

Ben Cleuch bent railings.jpg

I continued down very very warily moving over the rock falls softly and quietly, sorry wasn’t stopping for photos on the more treacherous parts.
From the few photos I took on the way down its easy to see why this walk has such a high user rating; always something magical about crossing bridges.

Ben Cleuch dingly dell path 1.jpg

Ben Cleuch stone bridge.jpg

The path at the very end was wet and it wasn't hard to image the volume of water that was putting pressure on the sides of the gorge.

Ben Cleuch saturated.jpg

All in all I had a very pleasant and interesting walk, although will give doing it again a miss until the authorities make the path safe and reopen it again.
I guess you could always just come back down the way you go up.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: The lower path at Ben Cleuch

Postby calbrown » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:46 pm

Great report!

Looking forward to walking this later this month!

Thanks!
calbrown
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland