walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Griam Mor and Ben Griam Beg

Ben Griam Mor and Ben Griam Beg

Postby rob munbett » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Griam Beg, Ben Griam Mor

Date walked: 09/07/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a fine morning as I drove round from the Crask Inn through Alltnaharra and Syre to the start to the walk on the B871 to Kinbrace.
P1020360.JPG
Ben Griam Mor from the road
I parked the car in a space off the road at NC787378 and walked back to the start of the anglers' path marked on the OS map. After about a kilometre I left this path and plodded across the rough ground to the west shoulder of Ben Griam Mor.
P1020362.JPG
Heading across from the anglers' path
Then it was a steeper climb, zigzagging through some quartzite gravel tiers and some crags to reach the summit in an hour.
P1020365.JPG
Approaching the cairn
The views were extensive and there was one of the most comfortable shelter cairns I have even sat in!
P1020368.JPG
The summit cairn of BGM with BGB in the distance
P1020369.JPG
The route down the ridge looking across to BGB
I looked across to Ben Griam Beg - and I must say the trip across didn't look too enticing. Anyway, I set off down the NE ridge of BGM, encountering some fairly steep rocky, heathery sections on the way to come out on to a rough boggy moorland.
P1020374.JPG
Looking across the moorland to BGB
There was no alternative so it was a case of head down and get on with it, finding the best route possible. After crossing a narrow river, I was on the lower slopes of BGB which soon steepened and the remains of the walls of the ancient fort came into view. By now, underfoot, the ground was crisp short-cropped grass, lichen and gravel - a relief and a pleasure to walk on after the horrendous terrain below.
P1020378.JPG
Heading towards the summit of BGB
Soon I was standing beside the broken trig point at the summit and admiring the views back over to BGM and Morven and Scaraben to the East.
P1020381.JPG
The summit of BGB looking across to Morven and Scaraben
I must confess, though, that my enjoyment of being there was tempered somewhat by the view of the route out which seemed to be an endless morass.
P1020382.JPG
Looking back to BGM, the lochs and the route out
I thought that there might well be better terrain beside the two lochs to the west and this proved to be the case: there were pretty distinct deer tracks along the shore-lines (with even an odd boot print) and, much quicker than I anticipated, I was at the red boathouse on the west shore of Loch Coire nam Mang which had looked impossibly distant from the summit.
P1020383.JPG
BGB from the southern shores of Loch Druim a' Chliabhain
Ben Griam pan.JPG
A pan of BGB and BGM across the loch
From here, it was an easy 3km stroll back to the car - very pleasant indeed in the late afternoon sunshine.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Grahams:68   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:91   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Ben Griam Mor and Ben Griam Beg

Postby litljortindan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Fine views from BGB.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:111   Corbetts:57
Grahams:26   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Ben Griam Mor and Ben Griam Beg

Postby Yorjick » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:52 pm

I did a similar route in 2000 while recovering from a sprained ankle - I was still having to proceed with great care. Great choice of route and fantastic to see the photos as I don't think I took any myself. :clap:
Yorjick
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:208
Grahams:55   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:159
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland