walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wild Camp in Glen Etive - Kinley is lying!

Wild Camp in Glen Etive - Kinley is lying!

Postby kevsbald » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Glas Bheinn Mhòr, Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich

Date walked: 24/04/2010

Time taken: 20 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1732m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was that bugger KInley's fault. Here I was halfway up a mountain on a Friday night, drinking Talisker, afraid to go out of my tent and pee because of the driving rain and wind at 500m. Did I mention there were views only of my feet, shrivelled genitalia and clag? Where were the clear skies and amazing sunset? I'd seen it often enough on Kinley's reports and I wanted the Kinley experience! Was I the anti-Kinley? He was the epitome of the ultimate high camp - I was the epitome of drizzle. He must be a demon on photo-shop, I thought. I settled down for the evening and attempted to get some sleep on a sloping mound (Lon Tubhaidh) a few clicks N of Stob Coir an Albannaich, my 2nd objective for hopefully a better day tomorrow. Curlywurly was settled down for the evening in his tent, watching a film on his IPhone. Lucky basa. We agreed a 0600 start would be good and we would make a decision then to either descend or go with our intended route of doing Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich, then Glas Bheinn Mhor. I dozed off at 2230 and after a few hours sleep awoke at 2303. Oh, give me a break! I must have been lucky if I got 2 hours kip - I consoled myself with nothing except the fact that I was probably warming a few worms up. The minutes ticked by. My arse was numb. However, at 0500 I peeped out of the tent and saw that we had VIEWS! Breakfast down, tents packed we got the blood going and a quick look up to SCanA provided hope for the day ahead.

With a good starting point, we were up on to the bealach between Meall Odhar and Meall nan Eun in no-time and the latter peaked out with the cloud clearing. Kinley's no a bad chap efter a'. By 0715, we had bagged Meall Nan Eun and our 2nd hill of the day looked quite spectacular but it would be a sod to go over the Corbett Top of Meall Tarsuinn, down and then back up SCaA. However, the cloud was really lifting and Curlywurly and I really began to enjoy our day. Quite an awkward trek over to the 2nd Munro and in bad conditions, it would be easy to get lost. Once on to the main ridge, we were wowed by what looked a conical peak which you couldn't appreciate from the climb up from the other side. By this point, Bidean looked stunning in the distance and there was a considerable amount of snow still on it. However, If I'm being honest (and it seems that I am) I was beginning to tire already with the heavy pack on my back, Jack. The last pull up on to the 2nd Munro of the day was tough and I was glad to get the main bulk of ascent done. How was Curlywurly doing? Having just done a Munromarathon a couple of weeks before, I knew he was fitter than me - that kind of thing can be psychologically difficult to content with. Must keep going though - must think Russian, must think Kinley... 8) . We didn't stop for long and began the awkward descent (due to fresh snow) off SCanA down to the bealach before Glas Bheinn Mhor - it looked quite cracking and so did Ben Starav in the distance - Curlywurly was delighted with what Glen Etive had to offer as it had been his first time down here and he would be back to bag that big boy. Alliteration on Albannaich? Get the hill outta here! As we started ascending GBM, I became concerned that I was really going to struggle with this but we had a good pace and before we long, we were up on the ridge - at this point, we spoke about work and all those work-shy buggers who make your working life a misery - why can't these people be given their marching orders straight off Ben Nevis? Twa old codgers, we were. I remember being downt mine... However, we bagged our 3rd hill of the day and made plans for a descent by the Allt Nam Meirleach - initially a brilliant path but it does get boggy further down. A wee Scotty dog seemed to take a liking to Darren and would have followed him back if it wasn't for the fact this his companion smelled like a rotten cabbage - I was honking! Well, I don't mind saying but by this point I was really running on fumes. Did I mention I was buggered? Darren seemed quite tired too so in a strange way, I didn't feel so bad. A little bit of schadenfreude never hurt anyone. As we approached the cottage at Coiletir, we saw a sign telling us to ascend by a fence around the cottage - we were less than happy as we were both buggered but we battered on and with some relief, got back to the car just in time to find out that Man U had won - Darren was happy. I was totally ******. However, looking back today, I did thoroughly enjoy myself and a wild camp is an ideal way to start the day - maybe Kinley has something after all...sure Kenneth Williams would have approved - oh, Matron!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_3516.JPG
0500 - Our view - moarnan!
IMG_3524.JPG
Meall nan Eun - we can see you peeking out
IMG_3527.JPG
Darren bagging Meall nan Eun with SCanA behind
IMG_3529.JPG
Woohoo - looking mighty fine! The hill that is.
IMG_3537.JPG
Stob Coir an Albannaich - this is gooood
IMG_3540.JPG
It's a hill of great character
IMG_3542.JPG
A brave bunny been over that
IMG_3543.JPG
Albannaich bagged - Darren about to mount the summit
IMG_3544.JPG
Glas Bheinn Mhor with big Ben Starav behind
IMG_3548.JPG
Come on! Nae far noo.
IMG_3549.JPG
Glas Bheinn Mhor - done - let's get down
IMG_3551.JPG
Final view to the might Ben and Bidean
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Wild Camp in Glen Etive - Kinley is lying!

Postby monty » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nearly stopped breathing with all that laughing. Nice report and nice pictures.

Kev, you are definateley in the wrong job. You are a natural comedian, get up there on the BBC and make your fortune :D
monty

Postby Stretch » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Good stuff Kev, the pic with the cloud floating below Starav is very nice. Can I ask what the make and model of the green tent is?
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby DonnyW » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:36 pm

:lol: Yup..I can identify with your comment about heating the worms when wild camping :lol:

Loved reading your report.. it brightened a wet day :D
DonnyW

Postby kinley » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:55 pm

:lol:

Phew - I was worried as to which lie you'd cottoned onto :lol:

Looks a laugh - although I find I sleep better when I spend 12 hours lugging the tent over hills and then pitching. not pitching first :)

Perhaps I need a disclaimer :lol:
kinley

Postby Graeme D » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Fantastic stuff Kev - I am green with envy! :sick: :sick: :sick:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:58 am

Great and funny report Kev... but what on earth made you combine Glas Bheinn Mhor with Stob Coire an Albannaich? It's usually done with Ben Starav... I chickened out of that descent to the bealach from SCaA as I hate steep scree - it was probably better with snow... we made a route up from SCaA down another ridge from the summit back to the corrie between it and Beinn Tarsuinn, then we made our way down the interesting and entertaining slabs all the way down the front of Tarsuinn back to the valley...
mountain coward

Postby kevsbald » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am

Stretch - ask Curlywurly about his tent - he had the thing sorted within 2 minutes - well impressed.
MC - I have done Ben Starav already and we actually considered doing Beinn nan Aighenan after - I couldn't have, I was dead on my feet - did I mention that?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby CurlyWurly » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Stretch wrote:Can I ask what the make and model of the green tent is?

Terra Nova Laser Competition sir!

mountain coward wrote:Great and funny report Kev... but what on earth made you combine Glas Bheinn Mhor with Stob Coire an Albannaich? It's usually done with Ben Starav...

As Kev mentioned, he had already summited Starav and this trip was all about doing things a little bit different. Personally, I don't tend to plan my trips based on the routes most people take. Much better to look at the map and plan something different.
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby kinley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 pm

CurlyWurly wrote:Personally, I don't tend to plan my trips based on the routes most people take. Much better to look at the map and plan something different.

Amen to that 8)
kinley

Postby doogz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 pm

kevsbald wrote: we actually considered doing Beinn nan Aighenan after - I couldn't have, I was dead on my feet - did I mention that?

i done BnA itself whilst a fierce bug ravaged my insides i felt nausea,sickness,awful....by the sounds you wer not feeling much grander :lol: :lol:

the walk out from BnA would have killed you Kev if you felt bad at that point..

Great tr.....good laff...you must do one thing though

Watch when the Kinley mans posts lessen ...AND GET YOUR TENT READY...the weather is set fair when his online usage drops..lol :wtf:

doogz
doogz

Postby Michelle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:29 am

Fab report Kev, a delight to read... though the geeky grammar guru in me enjoyed the alliteration best of all :wink:

I can't wait to get out there for this wild camping!! What a life :D
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby mountain coward » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:52 am

Ah yeah - I remember that Ben Starav report now - wasn't it one of your first reports Kev? I don't necesssarily do the routes suggested in the books etc. either but I always consider them and if they are the most logical route I take them.
mountain coward

Postby Alastair S » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 am

Michelle wrote:Fab report Kev, a delight to read... though the geeky grammar guru in me enjoyed the alliteration best of all :wink:

I can't wait to get out there for this wild camping!! What a life :D

Ditto that... well apart from the can't wait bit. I'd like to dip my toe (so to speak) first so will try to cadge some kit before taking the plunge.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland