walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More Glenfinnan Corbetts

More Glenfinnan Corbetts

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:22 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic Cedidh, Beinn Odhar Bheag, Streap

Date walked: 12/07/2014

Time taken: 14.5 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 2968m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yet again the weather does its trick of being nice and sunny through the week and less than ideal at the weekend. Everywhere looked like it was going to get some rain on Saturday, so I opted to head up Glenfinnan way and camp at Loch Linnhe Holiday Park, which at least has good showers...Roads particularly quiet for a Friday afternoon and we were there before 6pm. Plenty of time to have a pleasant meal and enjoy the evening sunshine.

For Saturday we had planned to climb Streap, and if circumstances allowed, tag on Braigh nan Uamachan. I was quite intrigued by Streap and hoped we might get some reasonable visibility for it, having ridden our luck a bit the previous weekend and had 3 better days than the forecast predicted. Alas, it was not to be, and we saw not a lot.
Parked up at the Fassfern parking area, meeting a couple of ladies who were off to do Uamachan. Walked along the forest track into Gleann Dubh Lighe and headed off along a left fork towards Beinn an Tuim, itself a deleted Corbett failing by a measly 10 feet of re-ascent to be included. We passed through a gate onto the hillside and entered a jungle of ferns, up about 5 feet high. Not the easiest terrain to traverse and the going up til 400m is also steep. Lots of skirting around gullies and crags, but steadily making headway. Passed a Fritillary of some sort hiding from the bad weather in the long grass. On the knobbly top of Beinn an Tuim there's a wee lochan which suddenly appeared out of the mist, then we were at the uncairned summit. More crags on the way down towards Bealach a Chait which were tricky to negotiate in the poor visibility.

Forestry activity at the start of the walk
ImageP1020726 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Start of the hillside route
ImageP1020727 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Fern jungle
ImageP1020728 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Slowly up the side of Beinn an Tuim
ImageP1020729 by 23weasels, on Flickr

...and slowly on
ImageP1020731 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Fritilliary of some sort
ImageP1020732 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Delightful views from the top of Beinn an Tuim
ImageP1020734 by 23weasels, on Flickr

We then headed up rocky, tussocky slopes of Meall an Uillt Chaoil, passing over some flatter, boggy ground before reaching Stob Coire nan Cearc. Plodding through the mist gave little of the character of the mountain away, unfortunately. We did find the way narrowing to an easy ridge as we neared Streap itself and reached the summit, complete with iron railing antennae, sooner than expected. By this time Allison was feeling queasy and didn't look very well. We were soaked, the rain having failed to let up all day and generally miserable. We crossed over to Streap Comlaidh. I had thought about descending by the NE shoulder and heading round to Uamachan from the north, but with clag obscuring crags below us it simply wasn't prudent. As we descended the SE shoulder instead it became apparent that Sick Kid was living up to her name (for a change) and wasn't going to make it up another hill. Seeing how dreadfully pale she looked, I magnanimously told her that on this occasion I would put her health and wellbeing before capturing another peak and would settle for just climbing Streap today. She didn't betray much emotion at my gesture, just looked like she might throw up :lol: We descended over wet grass down to below 200m at the valley floor, which made turning back a little easier to bear. Squadrons of tiny silver moths rose from the long wet grass and fluttered around our legs. We followed the river along, joining an ATV track for the latter section which took us back to the path through the forest. This took us past the restored Dubh Lighe bothy, from which rose the pleasing smell of a peat fire. Wandering through the forest, air heavy with pine resin, rain lessening. Back at the car in around 8.5 hours. A night of heavy rain back at the campsite.

Ridge along to Streap
ImageP1020735 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit Streap (though could be anywhere)
ImageP1020736 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Moss-coated oak trees
ImageP1020740 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stats
ImageP1020741 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Sunday started with rain but dried up enough to be able to sit outside the tent and eat breakfast. A brisk wind kept midges at bay. Car was stremed up from having laid wet clothes on the seats "to dry" although there wasn't much drying done overnight. We drove off to the start of the walk which was a layby apparently 5 miles W of Glenfinnan according to the SMC book - maybe I misread 5 miles for 5 km or maybe it was a misprint, but we overshot and had to drive on to find a place to turn. Arriving back at the requisite spot we were joined by a slightly manic cyclist who seemed unduly eager to get going onto the hills. He asked which way we were heading and I had to admit I'd given it no thought up to that point. Brain wasn't really operating too well this morning it seemed. We passed over the railway line, near the opening of a tunnel, and set off onto squelchy bogland, keeping to the W side of the Allt Coire a choin duinn and following the obvious rocky shoulder upwards. There was a faint path that led us around Coire Odhar and onwards to the summit of Beinn Odhar Mhor. Behind us we could see the outline of Streap that had eluded us the day before. The hillside had the characteristic grassy/rocky/knobbly terrain of the Moidart hills - a rough lot. Standing at the summit of BOM with its strangely sectioned trig point, looking over at its partner, BOBheag, Allison asked if this was the Corbett, and without thinking I said that it was, being "Mhor". It wasn't til I got back home and checked the hill details that I realised that it was t'other way around. Oops!

Tunnel
ImageP1020742 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Coire Odhar
ImageP1020744 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Round by the W of the stream
ImageP1020745 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View of Streap, that we didn't see yesterday
ImageP1020746 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View NW from BOM
ImageP1020749 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Beinn Odhar Mhor
ImageP1020751 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Sectioned trig point
ImageP1020753 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View to Beinn Odhar Bheag
ImageP1020755 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Walking across to BOB, we got good views down to the east towards Glenfinnan, with the viaduct curving gracefully. As we approached BOB the mountain became ever more impressive, with steep rocky cliffs falling to Loch Shiel below. As we gained the summit, the Corbetts to the west came into view. It was surprising just how much water there is looking NW - Lochs Ailort, Morar and Nevis snaked their way in amongst the hills.

Glenfinnan
ImageP1020758 by 23weasels, on Flickr

BOB
ImageP1020760 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1020761 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View back to BOM
ImageP1020762 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Looking N up Loch Shiel
ImageP1020763 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit BOB, looking to the Rois-Bheinn hills
ImageP1020764 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Beinn Mhic Cedidh to the R of the picture
ImageP1020765 by 23weasels, on Flickr

We headed down to the bealach with Beinn Mhic Cedidh, being pleased to see a gently sloping grassy back up to Corbett number two. Stopping for some lunch I swithered what route to take - there was the option of summiting Mhic Cedidh and returning to the bealach and following the Allt a'Bhuidhe Coire down, or of continuing down the shoulder of BMC. We ended up opting for the latter. After a lunch in some rare sunshine, we set off up to the summit of BMC. Easy enough pull up to here, with good - if a bit hazy - views of the hills around. Frogs in profusion - leaping from beneath your feet and squatting glaring at you or scuttering away into the undergrowth, no doubt peering out with froggy eyes at these intruders into their damp grassy world. Summit of BMC provided excellent views over to the Rois-Bheinn hills. We kept to the NE shoulder line heading down - this had lots of crags and steep sections of grass - could be hazardous in poor visibility to descend this way and might make a better ascent route under such circumstances. More squelching through bog, disturbing a solitary ptarmigan. Still plenty of tadpoles in the pools - thought they'd have transformed into froglets by now, also some incredibly fast flies zipping about on the suface of the pools without apparently moving their wings - not seen them before, not the usual pond skater chappies. We got down to the river and I was searching about for a place to cross, whilst Allison is keen to keep on the path for a bit more - and comes across a bridge, which pleased her no end. Then it's onto an ATV track that leads down towards the railway line - we saw the Hogwarts Express chuffing by as we walked towards the line. Under the rails by means of a creep that's big enough to stand up in and didn't have any decomposing animals in it (unlike beinn a'chalader) the back to the road. An entertaining wee walk this one, steep and rocky enough to know you're in Moidart, without being too challenging.

Beinn MhciCedidh from the bealach
ImageP1020766 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View NW to Lochs Monar & Nevis
ImageP1020768 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit BMC looking to Druim Fiaclach
ImageP1020769 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Two waterfalls
ImageP1020772 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Hogwarts Express
ImageP1020773 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Yes, there is a bridge
ImageP1020775 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Posh railway creep
ImageP1020776 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stats
ImageP1020777 by 23weasels, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: More Glenfinnan Corbetts

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:20 am

Excellent serial Corbett bagging. Don't like the look of that ascent through the ferns though! :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:46 am

Graeme D wrote:Excellent serial Corbett bagging. Don't like the look of that ascent through the ferns though! :roll:

Definately one advantage of a winter ascent!
That and the clegs :shock:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:10 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
Graeme D wrote:Excellent serial Corbett bagging. Don't like the look of that ascent through the ferns though! :roll:

Definately one advantage of a winter ascent!
That and the clegs :shock:

Aye, looks like prime cleg country!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sick Kid » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Aye, looks like prime cleg country![/quote]

I'm amazed we made it out alive......have been feasted upon big style!!! :shock:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Cool, only 8 minutes difference from us :wink:

Great hills and we've still got Streap to do :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Ach part of my local ranges these lot :D

Pity you had poor vis on Streap she really is a cracker of a hill :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Ach part of my local ranges these lot :D

Pity you had poor vis on Streap she really is a cracker of a hill :D

Yep, scheduled for a winter ascent on a good day :D
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Wow, you two are certainly logging up the Corbetts now. Are you missing the Munros? I have to say I really like the Corbetts are they are quieter (at weekends anyway) and one has to be a bit more creative in route-finding or route-making.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:13 am

AnnieMacD wrote:Wow, you two are certainly logging up the Corbetts now. Are you missing the Munros? I have to say I really like the Corbetts are they are quieter (at weekends anyway) and one has to be a bit more creative in route-finding or route-making.

We've still got enough munro tops to climb to satisfy any urges to get higher than 914 metres :lol: But I'm liking the different challenges Corbett hills provide. And yes, the fact that they're less populated is a bonus too
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:11 am

Not a bad weekend, WM, weather notwithstanding. [Wasn't able to open your WR fully before but managed now]. Am also looking at future options - but not the tops and nowhere near as many as you :wink: :shock: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland