walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rain dodgers on Creag nan Gabhar

Rain dodgers on Creag nan Gabhar

Postby railton22 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Route description: Creag nan Gabhar circuit

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag nan Gabhar

Date walked: 06/07/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15.3 km

Ascent: 563m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:D A lovely return to Jocks Road and the mountains beyond.
DSC01149Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
Lovely weather. Nice and warm but not too hot. Perfect for walking.

DSC01153Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
The only way I can EVER appear taller than my daughter...is to sneak in a cheeky jump!

Given that it was a warm Sunday in July we were surprised to only come across one other group of walkers. Weather was fantastic - dark threatening skies all around us but everytime they passed us by. A straightforward walk on a very clear path up to the summit of Creag nan Gabhar which made for a top viewpoint.
DSC01157croppedgoldenplover.JPG
Heard these Golden Plovers (there were at least two of them) before we saw them...and then got lucky with this shot
DSC01162Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
Alice and the Hubs on the summit cairn. Note the black skies behind. They passed us by
DSC01163Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
Me ON the summit cairn.
DSC01172Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
Had to get a jump shot in there somewhere...so here goes!
DSC01177Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
Failure to launch
DSC01184Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
The wide return route...and grim skies ahead
DSC01187Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
Good clear path for the entire route
DSC01186Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
Little bit steep in places on the descent but no nasty shin breakers
The return route passing by the edge of Loch Callater gave us an excuse to have a jolly around on the sand beach before returning along Jock's road.
DSC01202callatersm.jpg
Loch Callater. Been here a couple of times and never fail to get blown away by the beauty of this wild place.

DSC01199Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
Where the Callater burn meets Loch Callater

DSC01196Creag nan Gabharsm.jpg
Glad to have Alice with us after a break of almost a year. She's been busy at Uni completing her finals.

DSC01205callatersm.jpg
Any excuse for a beach break!

DSC01210callatersm.jpg
Any excuse to mess about in the water!

DSC01211callatersm.jpg
Goodbye to Loch Callater....for a little while anyway. I'm sure we'll be back

Walked in an impressive (for us guys anyway) 4 hours, this being Alice's first walk since last summer owing to her degree finals. On completing the walk we drove to Braemar for a browse around and the Hubs overheard a family complaining about the "terrible torrential rain" that prevented them from going on towards Lochnagar. We were lucky indeed to have missed what looked like pretty grim weather.

Walked by Sarah, David and Alice
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Rain dodgers on Creag nan Gabhar

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Beautiful pictures - I love when there are dark clouds in the background and you are in the sunshine. 4 hours is indeed impressive especially as you seemed to have had a lot of stops. I'm the slowest-coach of all and sometimes swallow my pride (ego) when I post my times! But I do stop a lot!!!!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Grahams:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Rain dodgers on Creag nan Gabhar

Postby railton22 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:53 am

AnnieMacD wrote:Beautiful pictures - I love when there are dark clouds in the background and you are in the sunshine. 4 hours is indeed impressive especially as you seemed to have had a lot of stops. I'm the slowest-coach of all and sometimes swallow my pride (ego) when I post my times! But I do stop a lot!!!!

Thanks Annie :) Yes the clouds were pretty dramatic and we heard in Braemar later on that it had rained all day near Lochnagar which wasn't too far away from where we were.

As "for being slow" and stopping a lot. So what! Good for you. There's no good in getting out there and then rushing so much that you can't drink in the beauty and atmosphere of the place. It's the journey that counts not the destination....post your times with pride!!!!!! :thumbup:
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland