walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Swirl How & Wetherlam

Swirl How & Wetherlam

Postby Phooooey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:29 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Carrs, Grey Friar, Swirl How, Wetherlam

Hewitts included on this walk: Grey Friar, Swirl How, Wetherlam

Date walked: 11/04/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 890m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wrynose Pass - Little Cars - Great Carrs - Swirl How - Wetherlam - Swirl How - Grey Friar - Wrynose Pass

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A lovely day started at 9:30 after getting to Wrynose Pass from Dalton. Damson the Dacshund cross and I treked up the flanks onto Little Carrs & Great Carrs rounding the ridge upto Swirl How stopping by the memorial.
05 On way upto Great Carrs.JPG
Climbing Great Carrs from Wrynose Pass
09 Aircraft Memorial on Great Carrs.JPG
Aircraft Memorial on Great Carrs
I made the decision to bypass Grey Friar at the time thinking that if we had the time we could get it later that afternoon (if we had completed it then I believe the walk may have been very different).
14 View back to Great Carrs from Swirl How.JPG
View back to Great Carrs from Top of Swirl How
From Swirl How we ventured down Prison Band and onto Wetherlam where we grabbed a bite to eat watching the hordes of ants climbing the Old Man across the valley.
17 Levers Water.JPG
Damson over Levers Water on way down Prison Band
At this point my decision earlier started to play on my mind and I wished I'd taken the different route as going back to bag Grey Friar meant climbing back up Prison Band which we did.
20 Looking back at Swirl How.JPG
Prison Band & Swirl How on way back from Wetherlam
Otherwise I may have headed round in a big horseshooe heading for the reservoir and climbing back up Wrynose. Views from Grey Friar made my decision worthwhile though.
30 Another cairn top on Grey Friar.JPG
View of Eskdale from Grey Friar
Bumped into a few friendly people on our trip round and had a great day. Stopped at Three Shires Pub on way home.
36 Three Shires Pub with todays walk in background.JPG
Three Shires Pub in Little Langdale with todays walk in background
Last edited by Phooooey on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Swirl How & Wetherlam

Postby mountain coward » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:31 pm

:lol: You don't have to do them all in one go you know - they're worth another visit!
mountain coward

Postby Phooooey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Did a lot of fell walking as a kid coming through from Lancaster with parents most weekends. Moved to Dalton just recently and got a dog which has rekindled the passion. Ticking off the biggies with Damson and doing a few surrounding fells and walks with the wife on the wekends she can join me. Doing 4 at a time isn't a matter of rushing through them, its more time away from home and sorting the bathroom and kitchen out .... lol :lol:
Phooooey

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Well that's a good idea anyway then - far better for you to be outdoors! :D Dalton must be a nice place to live...
mountain coward

Postby Phooooey » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Its a great little village !
Close enough for work (in Barrow) and on the doorstep for the lakes
Phooooey

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland