walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Torridon Corbetts

Two Torridon Corbetts

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Route description: Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine and Sgurr Dubh

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgorr nan Lochan Uaine, Sgurr Dubh

Date walked: 13/07/2014

Time taken: 4.4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I started this walk from the track that leads to Coulin Lodge, cycling to behind the Lodge and leaving my bike at the gate. I then walked up the track to the gate at the open hillside, it was just after here i left the path to head up to the ridge of Sgurr Dubh. This route was slightly scrambly but an ok route, in preference to heading to the col. I got good views from the summit before i made my way over to the other Corbett. This one had been shrouded in cloud for all of the walk and was still in cloud when i reached the summit, so no views from here. I returned to the col before making my way back down the path to my bike. On my cycle out i came across a Jack Russell at the cattle grid and thought it odd a dog was on its own and with no collar on. I managed to get it to follow me to my car from where i was going to drive back to the Lodge so see if anyone had lost a Jack Russell but while getting changed a car drove the track which the dog swiftly followed. I then saw it on the track after the cattle grid and thought it must be making its way home, so i returned to my car and back to Kinlochewe.
Torridon Corbetts 015.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 016.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 017.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 018.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 019.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 020.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 021.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 022.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 023.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 024.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 025.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 026.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 027.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 028.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 029.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 030.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 031.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 032.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 033.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 034.JPG

Torridon Corbetts 035.JPG
Last edited by Johnny Corbett on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:18   Corbetts:206
Grahams:160   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:269   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Two Torridon Corbetts

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:47 pm

That looks like a good ascent route for Sgurr Dubh. I'm intending to do Beinn Liath Beag as well so will probably do this in two trips. I think there's a circular trip in there somewhere!

Glad the dog got back home. Most dogs around here don't have collars but they all know the way home!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Grahams:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

got my eye on these 2 when back up in this area . You look totally gubbed in the summit pic . Youre nearly lying doon :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:222
Grahams:11   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:08 pm

Vintage stuff JC! Looks like you're well wedged in between those rocks though? Are you sure you didnae need MRT to get you oot? :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:220   Corbetts:105
Grahams:64   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:54 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:That looks like a good ascent route for Sgurr Dubh. I'm intending to do Beinn Liath Beag as well so will probably do this in two trips. I think there's a circular trip in there somewhere!

Glad the dog got back home. Most dogs around here don't have collars but they all know the way home!
Thanks it was a good route, rough going getting to one from the other though.
mountain thyme wrote:got my eye on these 2 when back up in this area . You look totally gubbed in the summit pic . Youre nearly lying doon :D
Keeping low to get in the photo :wink:
Graeme D wrote:Vintage stuff JC! Looks like you're well wedged in between those rocks though? Are you sure you didnae need MRT to get you oot? :lol:
Thanks Graeme, aye it was tough getting back up at my age :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:14 pm

Nice report JC - Had a look at this route before I headed up these recently myself - wee dog looked a bit sorry for itself :(

Did you find the ascent on this side rocky - was a rocky wee mountain!

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:01 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:Nice report JC - Had a look at this route before I headed up these recently myself - wee dog looked a bit sorry for itself :(

Did you find the ascent on this side rocky - was a rocky wee mountain!

ATB

Murray
Hi Murray, it was rocky, though just some minor scrambling. Yeah the dog was looking a bit lost but i'm sure it found itself home. :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland