walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lundie Craig Walk

Lundie Craig Walk

Postby macq23 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Route description: Lundie Craigs circuit, Sidlaws

Date walked: 01/07/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8.12 km

Ascent: 262m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’ve been meaning to do the Lundie Craigs circuit in the Sidlaws for a while….just been waiting for the weather to be decent and when I had free time!

I had a day off work Tuesday 1st July with Fraser, my 6 year old son who is on his first summer holiday off school. We had the afternoon free and it was sunny, what a perfect opportunity to take him out in on the hill. So as I set my plan in motion to go out for walk with Fraser, the walking party grew in size. Fraser’s pal Matthew and my 11 year old nephew Thomas were now joining us. As I always say…the more the merrier!

We parked at the car park as suggested by the walkhighlands route, and carefully crossed the busy road. Once we were over, the boys were allowed to let loose!

ImageIMG_0630SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0632SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

We followed the track for Crags of Lundie around the Farm buildings. When the track curves right, it gave us some fantastic views of Perthshire country.
ImageIMG_0637SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0638SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

The boys however were more interested in viewing the cows through their binoculars. From there onwards, this nice gentle walk became a beasties hunt! Every time the boys spotted a butterfly or a bee or a centipede or a dragonfly or a field mouse we all had to STOP and LOOK!!
ImageIMG_0633SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0649SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

30 minutes into the walk, and requests for a snackbreak were being demanded by the young uns!! It was a fairly warm day, so I was happy to oblige. I was also advised that at this point, 156 butterflies had been counted so far…..
ImageIMG_0651SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0653SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

So after a hour & a half, the mast transmitter was in sight, the boys beginning to wilt a bit, they spurred on the last push uphill by having an one direction sing song…boy was my ears hurting!!!
ImageIMG_0664SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

We finally reached the trig point of Lundie Craig, and what great views to behold. It was fantastic to see Craigowl Hill, Dundee, the Tay estuary, Perthshire from an unique standpoint. Some obligatory photos done, then it was stuck into some snacks. Couldn’t ask for a nicer day and spot to have a rest & snack.
ImageIMG_0675SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0676SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0689SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0692SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

While we were resting, I told the boys of my experiences of coming across a few adders in the past….which in hindsight might’ve not been a good idea. As we continued around the circuit, the boys SWEAR…on their heart SWEAR they could hear adders everywhere. Funnily enough, I didn’t see one!!

Fraser, armed with the map, decided he will lead the expedition team on the way down, towards Long Loch then turning right, through the jaggy thistles. Fraser was loving it, being in charge. He kept looking at his map making sure we were going in the right direction, and constantly warning us to look out for the jaggies. I was definitely a proud dad.
ImageIMG_0697SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

Walking along the flats, along side the steep slopes from Lundie Craig was pretty awesome. I can only imagine it looking even bigger to a young child. It kinda reminded me of a scene from Indiana Jones for some reason. It was very enjoyable to walk along.
ImageIMG_0699SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0700SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0706SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0707SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0710SIG by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

Before we knew it, we passed the loch and was soon back at the car with a quick selfie.
ImageIMG_0721 by ianmacqueen, on Flickr

I can honestly say that I very much enjoyed this walk. The beasties hunting, the singsong, all the silly things was a nice change for me. The kids definitely enjoyed the walk, they did 5 miles in 3 hours and all still had a smile on their faces at the end. I am very much looking forward to the next walk with them.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by macq23 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Re: Lundie Craig Walk

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Great to see the young uns enjoying the outdoors especially on a day like you had :D I bet they learned a lot as well. Some great views over Perthshire, Dundee and Angus from the summit, including Kinpurnie Hill at Newtyle. Pity you didn't go to the Tower a wee bit further on see my report, I think they would have liked that. As you say bring on the next great adventure. Excellent!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Lundie Craig Walk

Postby macq23 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:45 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Great to see the young uns enjoying the outdoors especially on a day like you had :D I bet they learned a lot as well. Some great views over Perthshire, Dundee and Angus from the summit, including Kinpurnie Hill at Newtyle. Pity you didn't go to the Tower a wee bit further on see my report, I think they would have liked that. As you say bring on the next great adventure. Excellent!

Thanks Rodmiester! :)
I did considered the Tower...but with this being the furthest the kids have walked, I didn't want to push it too much. The Tower will be for another day!
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland