walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Corranaich & Meall a'Choire Leith

Meall Corranaich & Meall a'Choire Leith

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 18/07/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 1119m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Usually on walking mornings I'm either awake before the alarm or on the go as soon as it goes off but this morning I hit the snooze button a few times so it was a 9.45am start which is pretty late for me.

Last time I was in this area last year I climbed Meall nan Tarmachan on a clag filled day and never saw a thing all day, today was shaping up to be fairly similar with the tops all shrouded in cloud as I set off.

1.jpg
Space for three or four cars

3.jpg
Good path to start off with

I had a group of 3 guys about 10 minutes ahead of me as I headed up the track away from the road. Had I not read various reports before hand I might have thought I was on this type of path for the day but it's only about 300 yards before it ends and I have to start bog hopping (in an uphill SE direction).

2.jpg
Looking over to Lochan na Lairige

After about 5 minutes the disused fence line came in to view and these would guide me to the top.

4.jpg
Bog ahead

5.jpg
Starting the climb

Once the climb starts and the lower ground is left behind the ground conditions improve. Although the tops are all cloud bound the wind is blowing so there are no clegs, midges or flies which is a plus. I found the first part of the climb quite steep and hard going but I eventually got my legs going and started catching the group ahead.

6.jpg
Looking down towards the start

7.jpg
the group ahead in view

Once on to the ridge I was in for a surprise with the wind hammering in to me and making walking in a straight line quite a challenge. A blasting from the wind and the hill being clag bound meant it was head down and get to the top as quickly as possible. Briefly the sun would put in an appearance but it was fleeting and often so short there was no time to get the camera off the strap on my rucksack.

8.jpg
Meall Corranaich summit and compass checking time

On the summit of Meall Corranaich there was pretty poor visibility and with the wind still strong it was a case of heading north off the top and heading towards Meall a' Choire Leith. By now the clag was limited to the tops of the hills so once I lost height things improved and I could see where I needed to head NNE to head for my 2nd Munro.

9.jpg
Grabbing a photo in between the clag breaks

10.jpg
Cloud sitting on top of Meall a'Choire Leith

11.jpg
Looking back

The climb up to the summit of Meall a'Choire Leith is an easy and steady gradient and so from a distance it looks like a fair climb but it actually only takes a few minutes before the top is reached.

12.jpg
Summit of Meall a 'Choire Leith

The cloud had lifted on the top so I had a quick look around then headed off SW. Initially there was no path but quite by chance I quickly picked up a good track down off the hill and could see a track in the distance that contoured round the lower slopes of Coire Gorm.

13.jpg
Weather is now looking better as I head back to the start

The track was a bit boggy at this stage but it was fairly easy to bog hop and keep the feet reasonably dry. I was almost parallel with the dam below me before I realised I needed to drop down and cross the burn just below it.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Once over the burn there really wasn't that far to go but the climb through the boggy ground to find the good path that would take me back to the road was hard going.

16.jpg
Looking back towards Meall a'Choire Leith

17.jpg
And looking back again

18.jpg
A better view now of the 1st hill with the clouds having lifted

19.jpg
Final shot of Lochan na Lairige

I knew these two hills were a bit on the damp side but thought today would be a good day to do them after a good long dry spell and with the forecast for the next couple of days suggesting that the bogs will be well topped up I probably got lucky with my timing.

Due to the high starting point this isn't a difficult walk and doesn't take that long. My Garmin showed I was mobile for 2hrs 45 mins and stopped for 17 mins so just over 3hrs. On a decent day with views from the summits I would have spent longer taking photos but today just wasn't that sort of day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Meall Corranaich & Meall a'Choire Leith

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:13 am

Pity about the clag- it does have a bad habit of hanging around :roll:
Still, not a bad day despite it - good to get out - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:54 am

Do I detect an all out attack on the munros this year? A fine leg stretch on easy grassy surface when on the summit, can be a bit wet and boggy latterly after a wet spell.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:54 pm

rockhopper wrote:Pity about the clag- it does have a bad habit of hanging around :roll:
Still, not a bad day despite it - good to get out - cheers :)

Hi Rockhopper - my clag awareness antenna let me down badly. On Thursday night I was thinking of heading for the North West but decided I would take the 70% on offer from MWIS for the Loch Tay area - still enjoyable though.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:59 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Do I detect an all out attack on the munros this year? A fine leg stretch on easy grassy surface when on the summit, can be a bit wet and boggy latterly after a wet spell.

Hi Rod - not sure I'd describe it as an all out attack, maybe more trying to sneak up on the blind side. At the moment I seem to be focusing on some of the more local hills that I've never got round to. Next targets will probably be three fifths of the Lawers Munros and a couple of days picking off some Gorms from Linn of Dee.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:22 am

These have recently been added to my to do list for this year so it is good so read a recent report. Looks like you still got good views even though the clag didn't lift completely.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Sarah86 wrote:These have recently been added to my to do list for this year so it is good so read a recent report. Looks like you still got good views even though the clag didn't lift completely.

Hi Sarah - hope you enjoy these two when you do them. Probably best after a dry period as there are some fairly damp bits (mainly the start and finish).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland